Why become a member? ×

Gig-able, compact cab options

cameltoe

Hi there,

I currently run my Bass Terror through my Ashdown LB212 cab, a remnant of when I had the LB head/cab set up. This combination sounds very good to my ears, it gives loads of punch, has a good range, and with a Precision bass just 'fits'. However i've never tried any other cab with this head, so i could be blissfully ignorant. The LB cab easily handles the power of the OBT though.

However since I had my first child last August, I had to change my van to a family hatchback. The cab only just fits in the boot, sideways, with the head on top. The band has also started rehearsing more frequently and I've realised it's actually a bit of a pain to lug to every rehearsal. The weight is fine- it's very light, you could carry the weight in one hand, but the tall dimensions make it awkward to carry hence it's a two hand walk-like-a-penguin job.

I had looked into getting a separate 1x10 or 1x12 cab for rehearsals, but this now seems a waste if I can find a cab that will give me the best of both worlds- light and portable enough to lug about, and loud enough to handle the OBT and cope with pub gigs. The LB212 is halfway there, it's just slightly too large.

I'm expecting a few Barefaced suggestions, and had briefly browsed at the Compact, but the dimensions are only slightly smaller than the LB.

MarkBass do two versions of a 1x12 which may be ok.

I'd be looking to spend as little as possible really, but somewhere in the region of £400 would be nice. If it could sound as good as the LB212 (or better) that would be awesome.

Thanks

The Barefaced Midget is a good cab, quite "aggressive" in sound, but that only helps to get through in the mix. I`m sure I`ve read of people on here having OTB/Midget setups, and really rating them.

My personal faves are Schroeder cabs. they don`t sound too nice on their own, but really work well in the mix. They do a 112. Costly if new though.

Additionally, again from what I`ve read on here, Aguilar GS112s get some good comments.

The only thing is, going to a single speaker from a 212, you`re likely to notice a reduction in the depth of sound, though not so much volume. So long as a cab is rated 500 watts the OTB will be plenty loud enough.

Edited by Lozz196

Methinks the answer may lie in the title.

Although the BFCompact may only be slightly smaller than the LB212, it is less than half the weight and as such will be significantly easier to move about single-handed. I'd try one in the flesh if you get the chance.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

+!for a midget.
If you're after a 2x12 stick with what you have, there won't be much difference in size and although something like the Super12 is a fine cab, and it will take 1000w+ all day long - you won't find one for £400 unless you find someone who has more money than sense and has ears made of cloth.

The midget will easily handle the power of your Terror. I wouldn't go Schroeder personally, they use a mid range hump in the design to make them sound loud on stage - which works in the mix, but for similar money to a Barefaced I would buy British every time. Much easier to sort out if anything happens.

If a 1 x12 is just too small, then a compact may be the way to go.

Having said all that, I drive a small hatchback (BMW 123) and I fit my Super12 in, along with PA system and 2 basses with the seats folded flat. The light weight means its not really a chore to load and the wheels plus gig bags means I can get from car to stage/practice room in one trip (minus the PA). Had you thought of folding seats down in your car? Or getting wheels on your LB...?

Thanks for the advice!

I had looked into the Orange Isobaric 2x12, which would be significantly smaller, but had heard differing reports on their performance.

The Barefaced option may be worth investigating- Realistically, would I need to look at the Compact to give me the volume and depth at gigs, or would the Midget cover all my needs?

Either will be giggable volume-wise, the difference is in their tone as Lozz mentions above. The Midget is more mid present in my experience, and might need a bit of eq to bring the bottom end back. I prefer the Compact because for me it is the perfect all-rounder, needing virtually no eq at all. And i would say it does have a 'fuller' sound compared to the Midget.

If you are local you are most welcome to come and try mine - where are you based?

Cheers

Geoff

Either will be giggable volume-wise, the difference is in their tone as Lozz mentions above. The Midget is more mid present in my experience, and might need a bit of eq to bring the bottom end back. I prefer the Compact because for me it is the perfect all-rounder, needing virtually no eq at all. And i would say it does have a 'fuller' sound compared to the Midget.

If you are local you are most welcome to come and try mine - where are you based?

Cheers

Geoff

Cheers

Geoff

Depending on your defintion of loud and what sort of tonal range you want but I think you'll end up with 2x112. Whether you can get both in the car is a problem for most but I think fitting 2x112 is easier than a 212 or larger cab.

I think you will struggle to get 2x112 for £400...athlo I sold a pr the other month for that..but I did give them away and have seen them back here already... <_<
There were a pr of Hartke 112's x 2 in the FS section the other day for around that money. Looked neat and compact..but I don't know their sound.

Hi cameltoe,

As born-to-be-loud says, a small change of dimensions, but........... who knows. Can't vouch for the sound, but...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_212mbe.htm

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mbe_series.html

2 ins shorter, 1 in wider but a little over 1.5" deeper.

Balcro.

I'm based in Cornwall Geoff, miles from anywhere!

The Orange Isobaric is the kind of thing I was after, but like I said above, I had heard they can sound thin.

If we're talking mids with the midget, are we talking low-mid P Bass thump, or high-mid aggressive Stingray? If it's the later it's not really for me.

I'd be interested in testing the compact- is it really half the weight of my LB cab?

Ah ok Cornwall - yes quite a distance from me lol.

In my experience I found the Midget to be upper-middy. However you would be able to eq it out. Add more low end to balance things out more. I'd value Lozz's input on this ;)

The weight thing is interesting. Ashdown state the LB212 weighs 14kg, and I was interested in getting one. However, a fellow basschatter had one for sale, and I expressed an interest in it - he kindly weighed it for me and it came in at a fraction under 28kg!

Bear in mind a Compact weighs 12kg (I have weighed mine and it is pretty much bang on that weight - although obviously my scales aren't scientifically calibrated lol, but they can't be too far out). Get a suitcase, fill it with clothes etc until it weighs 12kg, and carry it in one hand - that's pretty much what it is like to move the Compact around. I've never needed two hands to move it.

Cheers

Geoff

Thats very interesting....

I'd never thought to question 14kgs, and took that as gospel.

If it does indeed weigh nearly 30kg, then I can worry less about the reduction in dimensions and more about bringing the weight down. It also means I'm incredibly strong..... ;)

The Compact would therefore become a serious option for me, although outside my budget.

I'm off to buy some bathroom scales!

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1339236323' post='1685643']
Hi cameltoe,

As born-to-be-loud says, a small change of dimensions, but........... who knows. Can't vouch for the sound, but...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_212mbe.htm

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mbe_series.html

2 ins shorter, 1 in wider but a little over 1.5" deeper.

Balcro.
[/quote]

If that sounds half-good then that's a seriously good price...

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1339238670' post='1685689']
Thats very interesting....

I'd never thought to question 14kgs, and took that as gospel.

If it does indeed weigh nearly 30kg, then I can worry less about the reduction in dimensions and more about bringing the weight down. It also means I'm incredibly strong..... ;)

The Compact would therefore become a serious option for me, although outside my budget.

I'm off to buy some bathroom scales!
[/quote]

I'd be interested to hear what your LB212 weighs...

If you like the cab why not just put a handle on the side and carry it with one hand. something like this, http://www.maplin.co.uk/large-strap-handle-43826?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=L93AZ&utm_content=Handles

Re the Midgets mids - I had the one without a tweeter, and paired it with a Compact. With this rig I had everything aside from those very crisp highs that a tweeter provides, so I would say that it`s more the higher mids than anything.

Strangely though, I`ve always found that a cab with a tweeter seems to give more definition in the lows, so a Midget T may be a consideration, however, I think if a Compact would fit in the car, seeing how light they are, that would be a better all-round choice.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1339241127' post='1685737']
If you like the cab why not just put a handle on the side and carry it with one hand. something like this, [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/large-strap-handle-43826?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=L93AZ&utm_content=Handles"]http://www.maplin.co...content=Handles[/url]
[/quote]

Which looks very much akin to the handle on the side of my Compact lol. And dimensionally matches up. So it must be good ;)

I have a BF Compact and a Midget and, like a lot of users have said, you will find no issues with volume using one or the other for gigs. Both are a one hand lift, a featherlight 12kg and 9kg respectively, and easy to manoeuvre - the Midget ridiculously so. If you have space for the Compact then it comes down to what sound you prefer. I prefer the more balanced overall sound of the Compact but generally use the Midget on its own for rehearsals because it is lighter and smaller. Adding more bass on the EQ helps bring it nearer the sound from the Compact, but it does lack a bit of bottom for my taste. In combination they are absolutely superb - the ranges complementing each other. If I *had* to choose just one it would be the Compact every time (but I am pleased to have both).

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1339244039' post='1685785']
I have a BF Compact and a Midget and, like a lot of users have said, you will find no issues with volume using one or the other for gigs. Both are a one hand lift, a featherlight 12kg and 9kg respectively, and easy to manoeuvre - the Midget ridiculously so. If you have space for the Compact then it comes down to what sound you prefer. I prefer the more balanced overall sound of the Compact but generally use the Midget on its own for rehearsals because it is lighter and smaller. Adding more bass on the EQ helps bring it nearer the sound from the Compact, but it does lack a bit of bottom for my taste. In combination they are absolutely superb - the ranges complementing each other. If I *had* to choose just one it would be the Compact every time (but I am pleased to have both).
[/quote]

I totally concur with this, even though I don't have a Midget any more.

Cheers

Geoff

I went for the GK Neo 112-ii cabs which sound great and are almost as light as the BF Compact I used to own. Each cab is smaller, but bigger dimensions because there's 2 of them. I did feel the sound from the BF Compact passed my legs so was difficult to hear at some gigs and certainly wasn't bomb-proof when it came to a gigging cab. Just wanted to say. Now the Schroeder, that was a cab :D

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1339251630' post='1685920']
I went for the GK Neo 112-ii cabs which sound great and are almost as light as the BF Compact I used to own. Each cab is smaller, but bigger dimensions because there's 2 of them. I did feel the sound from the BF Compact passed my legs so was difficult to hear at some gigs and certainly wasn't bomb-proof when it came to a gigging cab. Just wanted to say. Now the Schroeder, that was a cab :D
[/quote]

Those GK 112s are a very very good price.

The GK 212MBE is an even better price, and hence I just ordered one.

Hopefully it will be what I'm looking for, and give me the sound I want, but if not I plan to take full advantage of Thomann's 30 day money-back offer.

They had a B-stock item for slightly cheaper, but I have heard the QC can be a bit off with these cabs, as you can expect for the price, so went for brand new. The difference in price was negligible anyway.

This should be slightly smaller than the LB cab, but a lot lighter. I really don't think the 14kg Ashdown quote is right, but I'll know soon enough.

The LB cab will now provisionally be for sale!

Thanks every for your advice, and hopefully I won't be back here whinging in 3-5 business days ;)