Why become a member? ×

Gibson Krist Novoselic RD Bass

bigsmokebass

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1339094991' post='1683639']
What is it with you and fivers? Will a four-er never do?
[/quote]

In order to play all the songs in the current Terrortones set I need a 5-string bass. I can't see any point in using a 4-string and limiting our song choice. Also, apart from a brief spell when I played 4-string fretless, I've played only 5-string basses for almost 25 years now.

In a way limiting myself to 5-strings only is a good way of reining in my GAS. Very few of the less expensive interesting basses come in anything other than 4-string varieties.

I had a quick play on one in Dawsons in Manchester back in April. I wasn't plugged in, and I've never played an original RD to compare. I found the body shape surprisingly comfortable, but the neck was too baseball-bat-like for my liking and the finish on the neck wasn't great on that particular instrument (there were a couple of runs in the paint which made it look cheap- not what I'd expect for the money).

By way of contrast, the Gibson SG Bass (heritage cherry) was very well finished, was lightweight and played so nicely that I very nearly bought it!

Sounds a bit unprofessional from Gibson regarding the finish, I have to say that they are known for their chunky necks which I like due to having big hands .

The SG basses are nice, I like making them growl but with being short scale and on a person like me, they look out of place unlike on a Hobbit as Jack Bruce :D

Cheers for your review bud

Iv given the one in Andertons a good thrash a few times, and its a pretty awesome thing. sounds the nads.

But for the money i would rather buy a secondhand artist.

He seems to really make his artist growl nicely in this gig
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee6xkwVucIE"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee6xkwVucIE[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2WHuYIb1kI"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2WHuYIb1kI[/url]

Edited by andysleigh

Ebay and Stateside would be a suggestion if genuinely looking for a vintage - though I should warn you. There seems to be an unwritten rule with many vintage Gibsons, which is that they must have been treated like sh*t before they get to you. You quite often see them with their unqiue brand of relicing.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1339498206' post='1689234']
No pressure:

(photo taken from Fly Guitars website - [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist_techinfo.php"]http://www.flyguitar...st_techinfo.php[/url])
[/quote]

Almost there...

:P

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1339491575' post='1689073']
For 100% more than this model?

If anyone knows where there's any in stock to try let me know and I'll give you a good review to settle things once and for all :)

BSB
[/quote]

Fair enough. I thought they were the same price as vintage ones on ebay when they came out.

Your looking about £800-1100 UK RRP for the basic Gibson KN RD sig, where as on ebay for the classic Gibson RD is £1700-2250 with different finishes, vintage appeal and all the other bells and whistles . . . . all depends on your wallet if your truly after a RD for this sort of money.

admittedly, id own both if i could as they both seem real nice basses. The classic is delicious as a collector item and 'Only at home' instrument and the KN would make an excellent work horse for me :)

BSB

Andy Baxters always seem a bit costly :/
It would be cheaper for me to buy this one from the usa, pay postage and import!
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1979-Gibson-RD-Artist-Bass-Original-Moog-Electronics-/270997243277?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f18b1c58d"]www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1979-Gibson-RD-Artist-Bass-Original-Moog-Electronics-/270997243277?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f18b1c58d[/url]

Edited by andysleigh

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1339547210' post='1690499']
Your looking about £800-1100 UK RRP for the basic Gibson KN RD sig, where as on ebay for the classic Gibson RD is £1700-2250 with different finishes, vintage appeal and all the other bells and whistles . . . . all depends on your wallet if your truly after a RD for this sort of money.

admittedly, id own both if i could as they both seem real nice basses. The classic is delicious as a collector item and 'Only at home' instrument and the KN would make an excellent work horse for me :)

BSB
[/quote]

Prices for RD's seem to have bucked the trend for Gibson basses and rocketed recently; there was an all-original blond RD Artist in my local music shop for £500 only a few years ago, hung around for ages.