Why become a member? ×

Gibson Krist Novoselic RD Bass

bigsmokebass

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1339061354' post='1682958']
Yours have the Moog circuit, Neep?
[/quote]

Hell yeah it does. It's totally bonkers, but it can be used tastefully ;)

Or you can turn it each way in its maximum direction, play a scale repeatedly and record it! [url="http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/RD%20soundclips/"]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/RD%20soundclips/[/url]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339067886' post='1683113']
It's a Gibson "parts bass". A pale shadow of the original RD design. If it didn't have a "name" associated with it no-one would be remotely interested. BTW what has Krist Novoselic done since Nirvana?
[/quote]

Grown a beard
[attachment=109754:kristnovoselic.jpg]

Ive seen the Session.de youtube video and although a shadow of the instruments past, I have to admit I really like it and for little more than a MIM jazz I think it's pretty damn sweet.
I think it will be one I will get as it suits my sound and it will go nicely in between my LP an Tbird ;).

I know guitars wielding names tend to only sell due to that factor: I love James Hetfield but bigger will I buy either of those FUGLY beasts.
And the name on this headstock is bloody ugly too not all that far from the LP sig but i think this is one instrument would sell with or without it anyway.

I think if I where to pay the origional RRP I'd give it a miss and save up and get the origional RD from eBay but even then, is that price worth it for an orgional or has anyone found them cheaper?

BSB

Edited by bigsmokebass

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1339065165' post='1683040']
Ha, that does sound good. Very lovely basses, these Gibsons - still very much enamoured with my Grabber, but it sounds a lot more 'clanky' than the RD.
[/quote]
Which grabber have you got Gust?

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1339074971' post='1683263']
I saw one of these hanging on the wall in GAK in Brighton the other week. I thought it looked very nice indeed. Didnt have the time to give it a thrash, but might if it's still around this week end.
[/quote]
I saw that at the weekend. I thought the pickups looked too wide for the string spacing so the poles were way out of alignment with the strings.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1339075592' post='1683270']
I saw that at the weekend. I thought the pickups looked too wide for the string spacing so the poles were way out of alignment with the strings.
[/quote]

Hence my "parts bass" comment.

It might have been like that on the original that KN had, but if I was getting a big name guitar manufacturer to make me a proper version of an instrument I'd cobbled together myself in the late 80s/early 90s I'd have made sure that they put right all the things I hadn't had the skills or resources to do correctly myself at the time.

If you the new RD isn't up to spec, have you considered the First Act Delgada?

Probably my preference, all told:

[url="http://www.firstact.com/Products/LimitedEditionGuitars/Delgada_bass.aspx"]http://www.firstact.com/Products/LimitedEditionGuitars/Delgada_bass.aspx[/url]

I've only seen the one go on here - and I missed it... hence picking the Grabber up.

If I get another chance, I'll snaffle it. A lot of the players I listen to use the bass - from the Cancer Bats to High On Fire, and it does some good work; with some apparently excellent craftsmanship.

Agreed the pickups don't line up but considering the sound on the video, it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference or should it?

I think a 5 string version could be cool but a bit too rich in taste for Classic Gibson, considering they bought Tobias who make pretty nice 5'ers.

Gust0o, nice G3 dude! :D

For the price I reckon that's not a bad effort - IMHO pickups on this and the originals should have been big chrome 'buckers (as they were on the guitar version) but that's just my chrome fetish - Gibson should have kept it on the T'birds too. And the 2 + 2 paddle headstock is just plain wrong.

As much as I love ny RD Artist ('77 fireburst / ebony) an authentic re-issue would have been pointless as it was so much "of its time", from the sheer weight of the bloody thing to the wacky Moog electrics.

The FA Delogada is tasty, but if Mike Lull made a version that would really be something - plus you know there'd be a 5-er version.....