Why become a member? ×

Thick question - is there a Musicman with a thinner neck?

Gust0o

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1338859260' post='1680247']
4) Big Al - pointy shaped body (but great fit to play especially sat down), mahogany body (the very early ones were alder) - 4 band EQ (in multi pick up version - 3 band in single H version) with coil selectors, series/parallel, active/passive - multi pick up available in SSS; HH variants - all colours etc as above.
[/quote]

The Big Al has the same sound? I thought, given the arrangement, it would be a very different animal - and thus hadn't even considered it, let alone began to wonder what the neck might be like.

Sounds like the SLO or Sterling are the ones to aim for. No coin at the moment, might have to let the '76 Grabber go for a wander to raise some funds and then bide my time.

You can bag a Sterling for the same kind of money as Rays generally, Used to be a bit cheaper but the Rays have dropped £50-100 IME making either of them available from about £650 upwards, £800 should bag something nice no problem :)

New prices in the shops are just a mystery, I paid £1645 for my SR5 in Dec 2010 with a tag of £1849, others have said you should be aiming for £1349 new!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338997298' post='1682159']
You can bag a Sterling for the same kind of money as Rays generally, Used to be a bit cheaper but the Rays have dropped £50-100 IME making either of them available from about £650 upwards, £800 should bag something nice no problem :)

New prices in the shops are just a mystery, I paid £1645 for my SR5 in Dec 2010 with a tag of £1849, others have said you should be aiming for £1349 new!
[/quote]

Now that's more like it!

For a new Musicman Sterling (USA) single H, normal colours (£70-100 more for bursts and natural), maple or rosewood, non-matching headstock, it SHOULD be around £1250-1300.

If it isn't, shop around.

I would definitely try a HS or HH though (+£75.00) if you can. Same tone at the back pickup (EXACTLY) then 4 more as well!

I have a Sterling 5 HS, and it is a stunner. I paid around £1400 for it new a year or so ago, and its a Tobacco Burst as well.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1338977953' post='1681800']
The Big Al has the same sound? I thought, given the arrangement, it would be a very different animal - and thus hadn't even considered it, let alone began to wonder what the neck might be like.
[/quote]

Yeah the neck is the Sterling profile - by all accounts these are killer basses - they have the MM DNA sound, but can nail a whole bag full of tones - and the passive tone is said to be very good indeed also - worth trying one out if you get the chance. I've personally only played one acoustically at a show but it felt very good and the neck was great. If Musicman UK have any in stock on their site you can get one taken to a local dealer to try out.

As for prices, if you can find a dealer with a Sterling in stock you may get a much better deal if you're willing to take that item off their hands - otherwise shop around - you should get a decent deal even on an SLO special Ray from one of the bigger outlets. Just have to wait 6 months for it to arrive! Arrrrrrrgh the GAS :o

You should get an immaculate used Sterling for £750 ish - you may just have to wait a while for the right one to come up.

Edited by drTStingray

The Big Al's can also be had for £1400+ in SSS, 4 string, standard colours.

They are, IMO, one of the most fun new bass designs out there. Active/passive, Fender like tones, Musicman tones, very well built, great passive tone control, and almost sounds like a Sterling when you have the two back SS pups in series.

No doubt, like my fellows i would say : Sterling is the answer for MM thicker neck search...
Ernie Ball called it like his son : Sterling
After all this bass is Stingray'son, isn't it ? :D

Well, let's come back to music : Sterling 5 HH. What a beast !

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=akwJz_KRlW8

Edited by Emanew

Getting a luthier to reprofile/skim the neck is a good option - especially as modern musicman necks are not lacquered - should make for a cheap job as the finish is down to fine grit sandpaper as opposed to a polyester top coat. Take a neck that you do like the feel of and any luthier worth their salt should sort you out no problem.