Why become a member? ×

Is it a crime to add a J-pickup to this beauty?

mcnach

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1338553713' post='1676242']
Took me about a month of tweaking (and a few emails to John), but it was well worth it. It's not unlike a new girlfriend, give it a while and all those idiosyncrasies and become quite simple to understand and predict. I understand that it didn't work for you on the Squier, but that's a different bass (I assumed fretted?) and probably a different problem - bear in mind I chose the P-Retro to use on exactly the same instrument you're talking about, maple fretless 70's Precision, and for exactly the the very same reason :)
[/quote]

No, no no!!!

You're supposed to say either:

a) "aaaagh!!! sacrilege!!! small kittens will die all over the world if you do that!!!"

or

B) "bloody good idea, mate"

not adding confusion in my little brain about preamps and what not! :lol:

You know I was this far (my fingers are very very close together) from selling the Squier (fretted, yes) without the Preamp and trying it on this very bass before letting it go?
But I sold the Squier to help me buy the G&L and I needed the cash quickly, so...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338551231' post='1676164']
Touche! :lol:
yeah, that P/MM project has been abandoned. Sorry, I should have probably told you when I decided I was sure to park it forever.
I just realised that I didn't *need* that bass..... [/quote]

Aye well your templates are made up all ready to rock should you change your mind... *cough* ... again. :D

I would put a humbucking J there. Just not sure what. I like the Dimarzio Model J, but looks wise is a no-go, and [b]not sure it would be well matched to the existing P. I have to investigate.[/b] [/quote]

Wise words man.

I was never a big fan of P/J (mostly because I was not a fan of P basses!), but I find a P-bass does a passable impersonation of a neck Jazz .... and adding a bridge Jazz seems the reasonable thing to do ;)
[/quote]

Well at least you know at the end of the day it's always going to be a compromise.

A drummer friend of mine just joined a band (supporting Hawkwind this weekend!) and she took me along to a rehearsal a couple of weeks ago. The bassist used a Fender P/J. We chatted a lot afterwards, of course. I liked that bass. Not fretless though... although the original bassist played a fretless, and she was really interesting (the name is Syren, if you want to check them out, there's a video or two on Youtube, although the best stuff is only on the CDs).
[/quote]

Sounds cool.
Big fan of the Hawk lords like. ;)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1338507209' post='1675752']
It is a nice bit of wood right around the J pup area!

I would do it, but then again I love P-J's :)
[/quote]

Yep, same here.....oh wait, P-J's lol, i thought you said B.......

Seriously, i'd do it. I brought a Lakland DJ5 a few years ago, brand new, and within a month it was a PJ.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338556966' post='1676320']

I'm not sure why people think it's so expensive. I mean, compared to having a second bass!

I[/quote]

for me it's more that the bass in question seems to be such a nice example of a fretless P-bass, and CIJ seems to be a byword for quality, seems a shame to take a router to such a nice example of a (relatively) rare bass, have you considered having the j-pup added to the other fretless and not sending it to live with your brother? i don't think anyone will get too upset at you taking a router to a sue ryder.

and i'll have to remember to pack the '77 next time i head up, the frets are so worn it's virtually fretless anyway!

Matt

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338558653' post='1676347']
Aye well your templates are made up all ready to rock should you change your mind... *cough* ... again. :D

Wise words man.

Well at least you know at the end of the day it's always going to be a compromise.

Sounds cool.
Big fan of the Hawk lords like. ;)
[/quote]

Well, Hawkwind + Syren are playing TOMORROW in Edinburgh.
Come down, I'm sure there are still some tickets left, and I can buy you a beer or five ;)

Templates? You MADE templates just for my project??? :blush:
I didn't think you'd do anything until I sent you all the bits!
Seriously, if you have already done some preparatory work... I will have to let you do the work we discussed

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1338560111' post='1676377']
for me it's more that the bass in question seems to be such a nice example of a fretless P-bass, and CIJ seems to be a byword for quality, seems a shame to take a router to such a nice example of a (relatively) rare bass, have you considered having the j-pup added to the other fretless and not sending it to live with your brother? i don't think anyone will get too upset at you taking a router to a sue ryder.

and i'll have to remember to pack the '77 next time i head up, the frets are so worn it's virtually fretless anyway!

Matt
[/quote]

Yes, I thought of doing that to the Ryder... in fact I have a post in the "wanted" section for a particular pickup, as I was reluctant to modify the Fender... but it's nowhere near as nice a bass. The Fender is the one I'd want to play...

Hey, if it's rare now, imagine after the modification!!! ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338560493' post='1676390']
Well, Hawkwind + Syren are playing TOMORROW in Edinburgh.
Come down, I'm sure there are still some tickets left, and I can buy you a beer or five ;)

Templates? You MADE templates just for my project??? :blush:
I didn't think you'd do anything until I sent you all the bits!
Seriously, if you have already done some preparatory work... I will have to let you do the work we discussed
[/quote]

If only I could make the g/f let me go - we're supposed to be going camping. Besides I've been laid up with buggered back all week - I don't think a funky gig will be conducive to my recovery. Cheers for the offer though Jose... I will eventually take you up on it.

Don't sweat it man. If there's one thing I've learned from doing this it's that out of the 20 enquiries you get a week maybe only 1 of them comes to anything - I think it just goes with the territory. And someone is going to want a Pingray rout done at some point - [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/Osprey%20Guitars/workshop-wall.jpg"]here's[/url] the proof that you nearly had one. :D

The P-retro is a good call, but if it was me I'd fit a piezo bridge (I know there's a Fender-fit one cos I used to have one, I think they can be had around the £50 mark now....).

Gives you that nice, woody acoustic-y sound perfect for fretless, that can be EQ-ed to sound quite "Jazz nasal", and usefully different to the P p/up.

There may be a way to do without having to route a battery compartment, but if unavoidable I'd far rather route the back than the front - don't touch that!!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338571080' post='1676665']

Don't sweat it man. If there's one thing I've learned from doing this it's that out of the 20 enquiries you get a week maybe only 1 of them comes to anything - I think it just goes with the territory. And someone is going to want a Pingray rout done at some point - [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/Osprey%20Guitars/workshop-wall.jpg"]here's[/url] the proof that you nearly had one. :D
[/quote]

ooh if i had some cash i'd commission a pingray right now, in sonic blue, but i'm skint! i'd be tempted to make it a 5-string though, mmm 5 string pingray. :gas:

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1338573548' post='1676716']
The P-retro is a good call, but if it was me I'd fit a piezo bridge (I know there's a Fender-fit one cos I used to have one, I think they can be had around the £50 mark now....).

Gives you that nice, woody acoustic-y sound perfect for fretless, that can be EQ-ed to sound quite "Jazz nasal", and usefully different to the P p/up.

There may be a way to do without having to route a battery compartment, but if unavoidable I'd far rather route the back than the front - don't touch that!!!
[/quote]

This - you may find that a PP3 battery will fit [i]somewhere[/i] under the scratchplate of the bass.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338549666' post='1676123']

Not 40 years old! Only 5 :)
It's a 70s as in "70s style", this bass was made in 2007.
[/quote]

Ahhh :D

Go for it then. If you're not bothered about resale and you think it'll turn the bass into a keeper then there's nothing to lose. You're not gonna lose the tone you already have by adding another pickup and you might get something you like. :)

I would put a humbucking J there. Just not sure what. I like the Dimarzio Model J, but looks wise is a no-go, and not sure it would be well matched to the existing P. I have to investigate.

I was never a big fan of P/J (mostly because I was not a fan of P basses!), but I find a P-bass does a passable impersonation of a neck Jazz ( :lol: just heard so many times the opposite, that I could not resist to throw that one in there! :P) and adding a bridge Jazz seems the reasonable thing to do ;)
[/quote]

I think the Model J would match well to a 'typical' P in terms of levels. But if looks rule it out... actually the stock ceramic P/Js in my now fretless aerodyne sound great IMO, the bridge pup in particular has a nice meaty tone despite being single coil. Since you're in Edinburgh you could come and check it out sometime.

If you do add the bridge pickup I'd suggest thinking carefully about placement in relation to the tones you want, the P pickup position means that with a 60s style J bridge the spacing doesn't give quite such a 'jazz' tone as if you move the j bridge-wards, OTOH if you're not really using the blended sound as much then you might prioritise the solo tone.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1338655048' post='1677730']
Be different drop another P pickup in it.
[/quote]

Or go the whole hog and shave a bit of the neck width, contour the body a bit, maybe to on side, slip 2 single coil pups in it and have individual volumes for each one then you'll have a decent bass :)

A

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1338571080' post='1676665']
If only I could make the g/f let me go - we're supposed to be going camping. Besides I've been laid up with buggered back all week - I don't think a funky gig will be conducive to my recovery. Cheers for the offer though Jose... I will eventually take you up on it.

[/quote]

No, no no, you got it all wrong, it was LAST weekend you should have gone camping!!! :lol:
Well, I hope you let me know next time you're down in Embra. I hope your back get better soon.

More pictures of your workshop, please? :gas:

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1338644604' post='1677573']
I think the Model J would match well to a 'typical' P in terms of levels. But if looks rule it out... actually the stock ceramic P/Js in my now fretless aerodyne sound great IMO, the bridge pup in particular has a nice meaty tone despite being single coil. Since you're in Edinburgh you could come and check it out sometime.

If you do add the bridge pickup I'd suggest thinking carefully about placement in relation to the tones you want, the P pickup position means that with a 60s style J bridge the spacing doesn't give quite such a 'jazz' tone as if you move the j bridge-wards, OTOH if you're not really using the blended sound as much then you might prioritise the solo tone.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to replicate a Jazz bass, at least not when it comes to both pickups on. It's just that the bridge J on its own is something I use a lot. I would probably place it right where it is on my Jazz, or perhaps a *tiny* bit farther from the bridge, to try to get it a bit more "round". Because I'd be using it solo most of the time, I prefer to find a humbucking J-type. But it's not a deal breaker, since I'm ok with pretty much any Jazz I have played.

Oooh, your fretless PJ sounds interesting. If I could come round at some point I'd love that. Although I'm afraid it could just make me want this mod a lot more. :)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1338663562' post='1677843']
Or go the whole hog and shave a bit of the neck width, contour the body a bit, maybe to on side, slip 2 single coil pups in it and have individual volumes for each one then you'll have a decent bass :)

A
[/quote]

:P x 1000

:lol:

well, there may well be a reprieve.

It looks like I'm getting a fretless Jazz. :)

It's nowhere near as pretty, but it feels great and sounds great... I still prefer bigger necks but... well, I've got to give this one a whirl. Soundwise it's pretty much what I want so... who knows, I may even have to let the Precision go (never!!! :lol:)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338939114' post='1681558']
well, there may well be a reprieve.

It looks like I'm getting a fretless Jazz. :)

It's nowhere near as pretty, but it feels great and sounds great... I still prefer bigger necks but... well, I've got to give this one a whirl. Soundwise it's pretty much what I want so... who knows, I may even have to let the Precision go (never!!! :lol:)
[/quote]

1001 x :sun_bespectacled:

A

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338665723' post='1677885']
Oooh, your fretless PJ sounds interesting. If I could come round at some point I'd love that. Although I'm afraid it could just make me want this mod a lot more. :)
[/quote]

I just realised, if you're still with Sea Bass Kid then I think we must have played on the same bill at Henry's cellar bar the other day - in which case you might have already heard it if you stuck around, as I was playing with NUF just after you guys! Though, the bass amp there is knackered as hell (farting so much on the low notes that I had to rewrite a few lines as we went!)

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1339194264' post='1685352']
I just realised, if you're still with Sea Bass Kid then I think we must have played on the same bill at Henry's cellar bar the other day - in which case you might have already heard it if you stuck around, as I was playing with NUF just after you guys! Though, the bass amp there is knackered as hell (farting so much on the low notes that I had to rewrite a few lines as we went!)
[/quote]

Ah!!! yes, I am and yes we were... but unfortunately I needed to leave and missed you. However the rest of the band did stay, and out trumpet player bought your CD which has been played a LOT in our lab (we work together), and I'm kicking myself for missing it. Sounds like a band I *must* see play again, and I will :)

Yes, the bass amp there was quite... interesting. I played there another time and they had a different amp, just as knackered, and I was advised not to touch the controls as they sometimes made the amp cut out and we might not be able to make it work again :lol: In this kind of situation I just go with the flow and do what I can.

The stage layout was interesting too. If you are shy, no problem, just play behind the column and nobody will notice you :P

NUF has a new fan here! Any more gigs coming up in Edinburgh?

Incidentally, that gig at Henry's was our first one with the very new drummer. He had managed to learn just enough songs to play a set. We were going to write a setlist to make sure we only called out songs from the ones he knew... but forgot. So I had my phone on top of an amp, hidden behind that column, and on my phone I'd look at our song list and choose which one to play next. If you saw us play... did you notice? :)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1338970364' post='1681677']
1001 x :sun_bespectacled:

A
[/quote]

:)

no surgery required.

Jazz bass fretless rules, soundwise. Although the "thump" of the Precision is really very nice too. Surgery not totally averted :lol:

And this has brought another problem for me. I want the Jazz to be orange. Very orange (it is shoreline gold right now). Oh, first world problems indeed :P

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1338507806' post='1675754']
Seems a bit of a waste to have a maple-board fretless [i]without[/i] a J pickup at the bridge. Model J maybe, or something a little overwound. Burp city!
[/quote]
+1 I recommend something like the new Fender Noiseless pickup or the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz so you have a pickup that balances the P pickup in both character and output, and is noiseless as well.

Edited by iiipopes