Why become a member? ×

Need help choosing a backup amp head please

Mudpup

Need some help choosing a new backup amp.

Main bass is a Euro 4lx. Main amp is a Hartke LH500. Love the warmth, punch and fatness of the Hartke but struggling to settle on a spare amp. Would like something different but with similar qualities. Also have an Ashdown ABM500RC evo 3 and find it too soft, big and bassy for my taste so thats probably going to go.

Today tried an Ampeg PF500 and GK RB700. Thought the GK sounded nice in a hifi sort of way and the Ampeg was ok but had just the one sound which i think i like - the mid controls didnt seem to do much though. Any thoughts on the above or possibly a GK MB500 instead?

The logical thing to do is buy another LH500 but it'd be nice to try something different. Need about 500 watts and running a couple of 15" cabs. Playing noisy modernrock covers mainly.

If anyones got something suitable they want to trade for the Ashdown, drop me a pm (hope this doesnt break any rules, let me know if it does and i'll edit the post)

Cheers
Spector Club member #290

Edited by Mudpup

although ive settled on an orange Terror bass the Harley Benton head I had previously from Thomann is great value at £170 (or the combo with removeable head is £230) small but 500w and is very similar to the ibanez promethean head.
as a back up its probably hard to beat

Depending on volume needed, I`d look at a Gallien Krueger MB200 (the GKs are very loud) and some form of pedal to warm it up a bit, seeing as it`s backup gear.

Other than that, the GK MB Fusion 500 is a kind of cross between the MB500 and the Ampeg PF500 - it has the clinical GK sound, but a lot more depth than the MB500, due to the pre-amp valves.

Got a Hartke VXL preamp/di thingy but do a load of pub gigs too so ideally need a head.
Just checked out the GK MB500 Fusion and it looks like it'll do the job. Hard to find in the shops locally for a demo though.
Lozz, do you wanna sell yours?
Cheers guys

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1338535540' post='1675856']
Got a Hartke VXL preamp/di thingy but do a load of pub gigs too so ideally need a head.
Just checked out the GK MB500 Fusion and it looks like it'll do the job. Hard to find in the shops locally for a demo though.
Lozz, do you wanna sell yours? ��
Cheers guys
[/quote]

Def not, it`s going nowhere!

Personally if I had some cash to splash on a spare head, I'd go for the smallest head possible so I could take it with my in my leads bag.

Maybe the ashdown MiBass? Or someone's selling an EA Micro head on here for like £320, gotta be worth a punt at that price!

Truckstop

I was using a PF500 until it went wrong and now I've gone back to my hartke ha3500.
I'm shocked how good the hartke still is. (it's heavy etc) but a great sound.
Lucky to have it as a spare. Lookng forward to getting the ampeg back. Hopefully it won't go wrong again

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1338536227' post='1675863']
For a backup, get a power amp and a pre amp like a THammer.

That way, you have to power amp to serve a P.A failure as well, unless you run actives. and a DI for the bass ...
[/quote]

That is a really good idea :)