Why become a member? ×

New EUB bass released by Martyn Bailey

I knew Martyn Bailey and Dave Swift have been collaborating on a new EUB and the build has just been completed.
Dave has huge experience at performance and recording with EUB's and Martyn is one of the very best double bass luthiers. I havnt had the pleasure of playing one, but it looks great!

Heres the link:

http://www.mjbl.co.uk/electric-upright-basses.html

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1338316509' post='1672690']
:gas: :gas: :gas:

Love the Ferrari cars poster on the wall in the workshop - that EUB is probably the musical equivalent... :)
[/quote]

Yes I think it is! Martyn has a great eye for design. I LOVE his double basses. Really classic outline which is designed for optimum sound and playability.

thanks for the link Geoff

18kg

that's far too heavy! (unless it's 18 lbs) If it's a typo it could put off potential customers

Yamaha SLB100 - 22lbs, SLB200 - 16lbs

and I don't like the square bottom

but if the weight, sound, balance and feel are right it would be priceless

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1338333441' post='1673064']
thanks for the link Geoff

18kg

that's far too heavy! (unless it's 18 lbs) If it's a typo it could put off potential customers

Yamaha SLB100 - 22lbs, SLB200 - 16lbs

and I don't like the square bottom

but if the weight, sound, balance and feel are right it would be priceless
[/quote]

Hey Keith,
I've just checked and it's 8kg NOT 18kg. That would be a seriously heavy EUB :-) It was just a typo.
I'm sure Martyn could round the bottom off. It's the first ever and a custom build so future basses would develop depending on the needs of the bassist.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]I've never tried EUB but that looks fab-u-lous, hope it fulfils all that's required in playability & sounds.

Just a slight niggle, that thumb-wheel to the demountable cross piece, [/font][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]that is truly horrible, surely it should have a bespoke 'knob'. Attention to detail & all that[/font] :happy:

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1338411959' post='1674321']
Any idea of a price yet Geoff?
[/quote]

I emailed Martyn to ask about that. Its going to be in the region of £4000. There are of course mass produced instruments a lot cheaper, but this is a one off custom build. As its all built from scratch like a real DB the labour and parts are pretty dear. The price of the Full Circle and strings alone is more than a Stagg.

Its also been designed as a one off to meet Dave's needs, but another customers would be made differently. For example Dave didn't require a knee rest.

I also asked about the 'square bottom' and this was Martyn's reply

"the shape has been influenced by the end pin 'locking system' which is within the block itself. I did this to reduce the overall length a little. The Jury is still out on this one as to any real advantage gained compared with the work involved, cost and the effect on appearance."

I think every effort has been made to mimic the response and feel of a real DB. Will be great to see how Dave Swift gets on with it with Jools Holland. I cant think of many pro double bass players doing a gig as diverse as his.

cheers Geoff