Why become a member? ×

Compressor that can be used for bass AND guitar

thepeanmachine

I was wondering if anyone knew of a compressor pedal that could do the job for both? I do a fair bit of recording and production and as you use the same VST compressor for any instrument, I figured there must be a pedal that also does for both guitar and bass. Does anyone know if this exists? And more importantly does anyone have experience of such a pedal, and is it any good? Thank you kindly for your assistance!

MXR Dyna-Comp.

I recently decided to go back (again) to using a compressor, and asked the guy who runs the recording studio my band uses for his recommendations on a cheapish stompbox compressor, as what he knows about sound is amazing, and the MXR was what he instantly replied with. The reviews state it loses lows, but to my ears, it tightens them, so you don`t get that "flub". Having used it with my band, I noticed no loss of low end at all.

Oh, and re guitar, David Gilmour uses them apparently - probably modded versions though.

[quote name='Michaelg' timestamp='1338161141' post='1670359']
T-rex squeezer pedal!
[/quote]

This.

You can use any compressor with either intrument but whether it sounds any good is another question.

One that is good on bass will be the same for guitar, but some compressor cut the low and highs quite a bit and arn't great for bass, but will be fine for guitar.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1338193383' post='1670484']
Any decent compresor will be good for both.
[/quote]

This ^. It's all down to personal preference of the sound from there.

I've been using a Demeter Compulator on bass and guitar for a few years.

Edited by thumbo

How about a whole host of simple to use compressors in one box? The TC Electronic Nova Dynamics pedal enables you to do full band, multiband (3 bands), parallel compression and noisegating functions over two pedals in one box that can be configured in any number of ways. For the money, it's easily one of the best IMHO. I think it's better than the EBS Multicomp (true bypass version).