Why become a member? ×

Bugera Amps

TheGreek

I've just been talking to a friend of mine - a friend of his has just returned from Germany with a Bugera 400w Amp and 4x10 cab for under £400!! I've been looking on line and found a 550W head at Digital Village for £224!! That's about 50p per watt!!

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/bugera-bvp5500-classic-550-watt-valve-bass-amplifier-head--61678"]http://www.dv247.com...ier-head--61678[/url]

[url="http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/BVP5500.aspx"]http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/BVP5500.aspx[/url]

Anybody know anything about these? How can they do them for this sort of money??

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1337980650' post='1668434']
Aren't they made by Behringer?
[/quote]

Same parent company, same Issues IME

Build quality is hit and miss, though I've heard some Bugera Guitar amps which sounded pretty damn good!

The BVP5500 is pretty much an Ampeg SVT-3 pro clone AFAIK

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1337980564' post='1668432']
How can they do them for this sort of money??
[/quote]

"By exploiting the workers - hanging onto outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society"

The guitarist in our band recently bought a 100w valve head, and at our first rehearsal with his new kit, the combo of the head plus his new vintage 30 loaded 4x12 cab sounded superb. Until an hour later when after returning from a cuppa, he flicked the standby on and....nothing. Valves were still glowing, but obviously something in the output stage had gone. To say he was displeased is an understatement!

[quote name='andrewrx7' timestamp='1338060826' post='1669200']
but obviously something in the output stage had gone. To say he was displeased is an understatement!
[/quote]

More like the HT fuse had gone. Which would probably be down to the valves, an the valves are going to be the same as the valves in plenty of other cheap amps since very few places make valves.

My guitarist has just received a few days ago one of their small low powered valve guitar amps and it has gone bang with only 4 hours of play time on the clock. He has said it is poorly built but did sound wonderful for it very brief life !

Time to box it back up and return it to thommans.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1338157862' post='1670315']
It doesn't mention anywhere whether it is RMS and Behringer are pretty notorious for fiddling with the numbers in terms of power ratings.
[/quote]
Exactly. Someone on TB had identified the power stage on these things as 900w. Still not a bad watts/pounds ratio, but not what it says on the tin.

I believe that the SS amps are often a bit underpowered, by reputation rather than direct experience. Some of the guitar amps do sound good by any standards, and not just for the money. The first release of amps were badly made (some caught fire!) but that's a thing of the past, however as with anything made cheaply, it's likely that QC will be a weakness.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1337985907' post='1668485']
"By exploiting the workers - hanging onto outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society"
[/quote]

[size=4]Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here.[/size]

Edited by BassTractor

Seen and tried a few Bugera guitar amps, as well as subscribing to a few long-time Bugera users on youtube and i've been very happy with them. Obviously there's going to be QC issues at that price point but overall they seem to be pretty reliable (Except for the ones mentioned above).

Liam