Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Midget T

Ghost_Bass

Arived this week!

[attachment=108727:DSCN1186.JPG]

If i was already thinking that my EBS Neo cabs were super hi-fi and stupidly loud for their size this cab came and raised the bar a couple of steps!

I only used it at bedroom levels but with the same bass and amp settings i can clearly notice that the Midget is louder (more sensitive driver) and has a flatter response (it was only after this AB that i could really notice a bit of a high-mid scoop on the EBS cabs).

Now i'm almost sure i found MY sound! All that remains is to rehearse and gig it in a rage rampage! Monday i'll post the outcome of this weekend's practice and a week later i'll review it's behaviour in a gig.

Very happy bunny here! Thank you Alex, the waiting was worth it!

:)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1337959056' post='1668094']
Wow, jealous!

Just got my order in, you mind me asking how long you waited?
[/quote]

Ordered on April 03 and delivered on May 23. In the middle there were a couple of days of delay caused by a misplacement of funds by the UK bank but all solved! Mind that mine was sent to Portugal so you wont have to wait that long for yours, especially if you have the possibility to pick it up in person.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337972264' post='1668314']
My RS210s have coaxial tweeters, but they are actually 'built' into the speaker. What effect do the bits of wood have in front of the speaker?
[/quote]

Don't know about that, i've questioned myself some times over that same question seeing that the wood piece covers about 1/3 of the cone area. I haven't noticed anything different soundwise but maybe Alex could drop by and give us some insight on this mather.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1337975866' post='1668377']

Don't know about that, i've questioned myself some times over that same question seeing that the wood piece covers about 1/3 of the cone area. I haven't noticed anything different soundwise but maybe Alex could drop by and give us some insight on this mather.
[/quote]

I'm guessing it's all been thought through. Just curious.

I would guess - and it is a guess - that placing the tweeter there is a result of rejecting alternative places on the front baffle for that design. There isn't much spare baffle area, and making another hole so close to the corner could interfere with battening and/or bracing on the inside. Alternatively it may compromise the rigidity required at the corners. The Super 12T has more room for the tweeter on the baffle, so maybe one of these factors is the cause?

With a concentric tweeter you get closer to a point source for the whole sound spectrum, with the advantages of a better phase relationship between the large and small drivers, as well as a more compact design. I think the phase relationship is probably a bit academic for a bass cab though, unless you separate the tweeter and bass driver by several feet you probably wouldn't notice.

Likewise the pair of Tannoy NFM8's I have staring at me now :-)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338021492' post='1668652']
Dual concentric speaker layout is nothing new. My Tannoy Gold studio monitors from the 60s have this design (and they sound great).
[/quote]