Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Midget T

Ghost_Bass

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1338050054' post='1669043']
The two drivers are delivering different content thanks to the crossover so phasing isn't relevant. The coaxial tweeter will influence the dispersion of the larger driver though.
[/quote]

Yes, I was wondering about the tweeter mini-baffle, but I notice it's positioned vertically, presumably to allow the sound to disperse horizontally from the side gaps. It would be interesting to hear a Midget and Midget T side by side, the latter operating with the tweeter turned off. Also wondering about the back reflections from this baffle, but I think the crossover frequency will be around 4 kHz. The wavelength will be around 86mm, so with a 40mm separation (guessing) from the 12' driver, the reflected waveform will emerge back out pretty much in phase. I think... I might have all this horribly wrong. :unsure: :lol:

There will be a frequency band over which both drivers operate, but as a crossover itself can introduce phase shifts at this merge point, use of a coaxial driver is no guarantee you won't suffer phase anomalies from another cause. There is debate as to whether crossover phase shift is even audible however.

There used to be a trend for time aligned drivers on stepped baffles in hi-fi speakers, to help maintain the coherence of the apparent sound source, but I was never convinced they did anything that i could hear with any certainty.

Yes, it's always been like that! Reasons are thus:

1. Coaxial location provides more seamless integration, especially off-axis.
2. Front coax location causes the tweeter signal to lead the woofer signal so your ear hears the treble more clearly - BBE enhancers use this trick electronically.
3. The tweeter mount is sufficiently narrow to allow the woofer's output past unimpeded apart from the very highest treble output from the dustcap but that's where the tweeter has already taken over - in other words it works as an acoustic lowpass filter.
4. The Midget's cab is sized to control the woofer tightly so it can handle the same power as the Compact without over-excursion, therefore recessing the baffle further thus making the internal volume smaller and making the lows leaner and tighter isn't a problem. The Super Twelve's tweeter isn't coax for this reason (and on another subject a Super Twelve has much more bottom than two Midgets - it sounds as fat and deep as a Midget+Compact stack).

Used it yesterday at rehearsal and simply put, i don't care about all this tweeter discussion, that thing sounds huge and very defined. Enough low end for my needs and it sat perfectly in the mix, giving my bass the extra edge to cut through and that's exactly what i need in this project (funk/soul covers). Loved it!

:D

Cant wait to get mine. I am also playing in a Funk covers band.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1338202173' post='1670652']
Used it yesterday at rehearsal and simply put, i don't care about all this tweeter discussion, that thing sounds huge and very defined. Enough low end for my needs and it sat perfectly in the mix, giving my bass the extra edge to cut through and that's exactly what i need in this project (funk/soul covers). Loved it!
[/quote]

Any thoughts on a super triple? Given the implied advantages the S12 has over 2 midgets..?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1338192805' post='1670475']
Yes, it's always been like that! Reasons are thus:
1. Coaxial location provides more seamless integration, especially off-axis.
2. Front coax location causes the tweeter signal to lead the woofer signal so your ear hears the treble more clearly - BBE enhancers use this trick electronically.
3. The tweeter mount is sufficiently narrow to allow the woofer's output past unimpeded apart from the very highest treble output from the dustcap but that's where the tweeter has already taken over - in other words it works as an acoustic lowpass filter.
4. The Midget's cab is sized to control the woofer tightly so it can handle the same power as the Compact without over-excursion, therefore recessing the baffle further thus making the internal volume smaller and making the lows leaner and tighter isn't a problem. The Super Twelve's tweeter isn't coax for this reason (and on another subject a Super Twelve has much more bottom than two Midgets - it sounds as fat and deep as a Midget+Compact stack).
[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1338204772' post='1670705']
I don't think it's a good/bad discussion.. Only a "why might it be that way" discussion :-)
[/quote]

Yes, i see your point and i also had the doubt about having the "tweeter mounting bar covering almost 1/3 of the driver" question but Alex explained it so i'm over it. I only care about the sound it puts out and that is sweeeeeet!

only question on my mind now is "How can i find a good reason to justify ordering a Super12T?" :lol:

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Do you need a reason? :-) I'm puzzling over getting a second one at the moment :-)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1338205143' post='1670716']
Yes, i see your point and i also had the doubt about having the "tweeter mounting bar covering almost 1/3 of the driver" question but Alex explained it so i'm over it. I only care about the sound it puts out and that is sweeeeeet!

only question on my mind now is "How can i find a good reason to justify ordering a Super12T?" :lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1338205309' post='1670719']
Do you need a reason? :-) I'm puzzling over getting a second one at the moment :-)
[/quote]

A second one?!! Is it to be used as a backup or are you trying to make yourself heard over here in Portugal?!! :)