Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hearing test - get yours here !

hamfist

Not at all, decent interconnects (*ie neutricks phonos and good quality cable soldered well), a decent amp into decent monitors (with good crossovers and great tweeters naturally) with sensible speaker cable (13amp mains cable would be fine - high frequency power demands are pretty tiny) will suffice, as long as the DA converters on your sound card can handle the frequency they are attempting.

This is not rocket science and no one is making stupid claims. All that is being said is you absolutely cant make any assumptions of something as completely flawed as a PC attempting to play back unweighted tones that are stored in a lossy medium that by its very nature can not support those frequencies at all anyway. You cant hear it if it iosnt there, or is so quiet as to be less loud than the inherent noise in the system.

I'm completely relieved to discover that my inability to hear the 12kHz signal is all down to my soundcard/speakers/audio format.

And nothing whatsoever to do with my tinnitus - which is now louder than ever due to two threads in the last week to remind me that I've got it! :lol:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1337763243' post='1664943']
This isnt a test of hearing so much as a test of your PC audio card, and the speakers you are using.....
[/quote]

Precisely.
And your age. The frequency response of your ears also declines with age, even if you take care of them. If you don't protect your ears/ hearing, it'll be even worse...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1337800604' post='1665746']
And your age. The frequency response of your ears also declines with age, even if you take care of them. If you don't protect your ears/ hearing, it'll be even worse...
[/quote]

Ummmm ... yes, that was the point of the thread really, for people to assess how much, if any, high frequency hearing loss they had, probably due to musical abuse.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337759973' post='1664893']
Only 8KHz works for me, none of the others do anything :rolleyes: :D :o but on the good side the 8K sounds very high to me :huh: (61&1/4 yrs) :P

Edit: Tried the test again with the volume higher & I think the frequencies are numbered wrong, or to put it another way the test is a load of shyte.

I can hear 8, 10 but not 12, 14 to me is higher than 15, not 16, 17 clearly & a lower tone than 15, 18 OK, the 19 to me is the same as 17, 20 & 21 - 21 seems lower than 20 OK, then 22 just a bit buzzy.

Then I got Kaz (female 55) to listen & she can hear pretty much the same as me, with similar comments on the levels & tones, so it's not just me but it is what's coming out of my speakers. I'll get my sons to try on the same setup when they come round.

It's complete bollox - IMHO. I'm pretty sure I' hearing what my sound card & Creative speakers decide to put out, wish my tuner would pick up those high frequencies :rolleyes:
[/quote]

must be the speakers. I can clearly hear the increasing pitch as expected.
In my case it stops at 18KHz, but this is with my laptop's far from great speakers. When I did something similar properly a couple of years ago I could hear 21KHz.

I got to 15kHz. I think it's more to do with my tinnitus interfering than actually not being able to hear the tones properly, I had to knock the volume up a bit to get to 15kHz after a HUGE volume drop from 12kHz (dunno if that's my hearing, the samples or my system).

Edited by ThomBassmonkey