Why become a member? ×

Finally tested a Bongo!

Musicman20

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Finally, FINALLY got to try a Musicman Bongo in a store

The day has finally been and gone! I feel like I need to give myself a certificate for waiting 3 years or more to try one.

These, as we all know, are an acquired taste.

This model was a new 5 HH, in Sky Blue with a Tort Guard (surprisingly the colours really worked and the bass looked fabulous).

Firstly, it looks like a work of art. I don’t understand how anyone can say its ‘ugly’. They look weird in some photos, but the curves and design look fabulous in the flesh. The quality control was amazing. Stunning paint work, brilliant neck to body joint, and the whole bass just felt like a boutique quality instrument. Something that, for the prices you can get them for if you barter, is quite extraordinary. A Sadowsky 5 string in a fairly top spec (Metro) will cost you £500+ more than this bass, and won’t be any better in terms of quality, (in fact I’d say this example topped the Sadowsky Metro’s I’ve tried, but its down to taste I guess).

Secondly the neck profile. Wow...very smooth neck, a little flatter than the Stingray5/Sterling5/Big Al 5 neck. Very very fast neck. I was also impressed how the 24 fret neck felt the same as a 21/22. I didn’t feel like I was stretching for the 1[sup]st[/sup] fret.

Thirdly, the sound. Now I love the traditional H on a Musicman. Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes the same sound as a Musicman humbucker in the sweetspot. The Bongo HH/HS has the bridge H closer to the bridge. It gives a VERY tight, low mid kick of a tone, but instantly Musicman.

Blended was huge. The neck H alone was warm, woody, and pretty clear and defined. Very nice for classic rock, blues, motown.

Obviously you can also blend as much as you want; it isn’t set.

Fourthly, the EQ is brilliant. I’ve heard people say ‘its harsh’, etc. No way, not at all. Lots of power, and the mids are perfect. A little goes a long way, but even maxing didn’t make it sound bad.

You know what, as much as I love a P or J bass, this made a Fender seem like a toy. Very professional feel, very exciting tone, very distinct. This is what technology brings when designs evolve.

I am super impressed. It is everything I expected, and more. I am not surprised Musicman basses are the price range they are, but if you barter you can get a bargain.

I am still on the hunt for the right one. I won’t ever jump to quickly now; plenty of time to get quotes and buy. I’ve even considered picking up a second hand Bongo to save a bit of money.[/font][/size]

Edited by Musicman20

I used to hate the look of bongos, I kind of dig them now. I'd never own one but I no longer dismiss them like I did a year ago. I agree though, they do look like a beautiful work of art and also based on previous MM basses I have no doubt the quality is immense. I keep hearing how great the electronics are too, I'd love to see one in person.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337382672' post='1659292']

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Secondly the neck profile. Wow...very smooth neck, a little flatter than the Stingray5/Sterling5/Big Al 5 neck. Very very fast neck. I was also impressed how the 24 fret neck felt the same as a 21/22. I didn’t feel like I was stretching for the 1[sup]st[/sup] fret.

Thirdly, the sound. Now I love the traditional H on a Musicman. Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes the same sound as a Musicman humbucker in the sweetspot. The Bongo HH/HS has the bridge H closer to the bridge. It gives a VERY tight, low mid kick of a tone, but instantly Musicman.

Fourthly, the EQ is brilliant. I’ve heard people say ‘its harsh’, etc. No way, not at all. Lots of power, and the mids are perfect. A little goes a long way, but even maxing didn’t make it sound bad.

This is what technology brings when designs evolve.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

I like bongos but unfortunatly I have to disagree with some points with you.

I very much prefer the normal 4H as the pickup is in that spot and the dual pickup version's bridge just sounds thin compared. Not bad but just not as good as it should, no reason just shift the pickup closer the bridge and to me it stops being a musicman then.

Neck profile never bother me for some reason, but the painted neck on the Bongo feels very cheap, compared the the regular gunstock oil finish to me it gives the impression of money saving....... Also you wouldn't have to reach weather it was 21 fret or 24 as it is still 34'' scale no?

I do liked the EQ but it can be harsh if you don't engage your braincells. It's 18 volt and tiny increments do make a big difference.

I like Bongos but again I only really like the 4H model. I also agree about the quality of Musicman instruments.

But don't listen to me I play a Sandberg basic now :P

I've had a stingray 4 3eq for 6 years now and it's always my 'go to' bass. First one I pick up for practice (usually the only one) it just seems to fit and is very forgiving for my meagre talent.
However,
I absolutely love the look of the Bongo and have severe GAS lust for one.
Even more now.
Baaaaaaaaaaastaaaaaaarrddddd. :D

Andy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1337413539' post='1659434']
What you on about stretching for that first fret Gareth :D
[/quote]

Might just be a Warwick thing...the necks on their basses seems too long to what I'm used to. Think I'm generalising a bit! :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1337408370' post='1659395']

I like bongos but unfortunatly I have to disagree with some points with you.

I very much prefer the normal 4H as the pickup is in that spot and the dual pickup version's bridge just sounds thin compared. Not bad but just not as good as it should, no reason just shift the pickup closer the bridge and to me it stops being a musicman then.

Neck profile never bother me for some reason, but the painted neck on the Bongo feels very cheap, compared the the regular gunstock oil finish to me it gives the impression of money saving....... Also you wouldn't have to reach weather it was 21 fret or 24 as it is still 34'' scale no?

I do liked the EQ but it can be harsh if you don't engage your braincells. It's 18 volt and tiny increments do make a big difference.

I like Bongos but again I only really like the 4H model. I also agree about the quality of Musicman instruments.

But don't listen to me I play a Sandberg basic now :P
[/quote]

I've got 4 EBMMs with the sweet spot H position so I thought I'd add a bit of a different flavour to my next bass. The bridge H on the HH Bongo was more like a Jazz bridge pup but MUCH bigger in terms of tone. Middy, but still thumped.

Nice, Musicman. I must say, the thing that draws me to MM style instruments, particularly the Stingray is the simplicity of its layout and EQ system. You know what you're getting with a 2/3 band EQ + that big humbucker. I personally felt a bit overwhelmed by the controls on the Bongo, it was almost a bit overkill for my tastes, and personally I'll never be a fan of a 4-Band EQ on a bass, I just don't need it.

Shape wise, I always found the Bongo intriguing. I certainly don't hate it! Nice review.

Yeah them Warwick inches are quite big :lol:

As far the sterling34 I'm not sure about the pickup but the preamp is different, I don't like how easily the knobs turn on the sterling version. Also when you compare them side by side the bodies are not the same either, much less body/arm contour and the tell tale machine cut body edges compared to the rounded edges of an EBMM (hand finished after cnc?)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337425167' post='1659675']
I've got 4 EBMMs with the sweet spot H position so I thought I'd add a bit of a different flavour to my next bass. The bridge H on the HH Bongo was more like a Jazz bridge pup but MUCH bigger in terms of tone. Middy, but still thumped.
[/quote]

I think those kind of pickups will always be bigger compared to any crap like a jazz or P pickup..... (IMO) I'm just comparing the HH bongo to the normal position, I found that the bridge pickup on my old Big Al to be too thin also and the muilt pickup sound to get close to the stingray ness was too different. Too thin yes but a lot bigger and ballsy compared to any jazz bass. I do wish I had ordered a single H as the preamp is amazing on that bass..

My dream 5 string has a single coil in the sweet spot though.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337382672' post='1659292']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I don’t understand how anyone can say its ‘ugly’. [/font][/size]
[/quote]

Because other people have a different idea of what is aesthetically pleasing to you?

Bongo = Ugly as f*** bass. Bongo with tort scratch plate = Unbelievably hideously ugly as f*** bass.

IMO of course. :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1337443159' post='1660123']

Because other people have a different idea of what is aesthetically pleasing to you?

Bongo = Ugly as f*** bass. Bongo with tort scratch plate = Unbelievably hideously ugly as f*** bass.

IMO of course. :)
[/quote]

Of course they do. No harm in that. Bit harsh though ay?! Haha.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1337438186' post='1660015']
I went into sounds live today to demo one and they said that you had just been in to test one. damn it. I tired the natural stingray and the ray34 in black. I found it very hard to tell the difference. are the pickups the same?
[/quote]

Yep, 'twas me. Bear in mind i had to pay a fiver for contribution to postage. Obviously if I order one I'll get that back but at moment I'm pondering the quotes.

It was much easier than going to London though!

Not sure on those pups! Sorry.

Been offered a few second hand so to save a lot of money I might go with one. Depends how these quotes pan out.

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1337453254' post='1660405']

For some reason this is the combo I think of when I think of a Bongo. Looks ace though! I wouldn't go for anything at all like that finish usually, but Bongos are "funky"! :)
[/quote]

See I don't usually like them but that's quite nice. Someone had a 'Ray in metallic orange as well and I think that'd be good with a black plate.

Great review until I read 'this makes a Fender feel like a toy'... Too vague to even class as an opinion.

Also, you were playing a Bongo... The bass that looks MOST like the bass guitar accessory for a Barbie doll.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1337456045' post='1660455']
Great review until I read 'this makes a Fender feel like a toy'... Too vague to even class as an opinion.

Also, you were playing a Bongo... The bass that looks MOST like the bass guitar accessory for a Barbie doll.
[/quote]

I have two USA Fenders and rate then very highly. Compared to a Musicman? No contest, the Musicman looks, feels and sounds very very high quality.

The Bongos I've played were great. I favour the 4HH.
BUT... There are some good takes on some EBMM pick-up configurations by other manufacturers that might be worthy of some attention.

Sandberg- Basics/Ken Taylors
Lakland
Warwick- Anything with J/JJ pick-ups (Infinity,Vampyre, Dolphin) Corvette FNA and $$. Streamer $$, Jazzman and Pro-M. Fortress Masterman.

But a Graffiti Yellow Bongo 5HH with black hardware might be rather nice.