Why become a member? ×

Oh man - why didn't they do this last month?

Twigman

[b] [url="http://www.warmoth.com/Hardware/bridges/2TekBridges.aspx"]http://www.warmoth.c...TekBridges.aspx[/url][/b]
I ordered a body from Warmoth which is due to arrive on Monday....and I so wish they'd launched these 2TEK bridges and offered the routs before I'd ordered.
I've been looking for a trick bright nickel bridge for ages and this would've fitted the bill perfectly....

PANTS!

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1337369431' post='1659022']
wait, what?[list]
[*]Additional mass creates more punch.
[*]35% weight reduction since the original 2TEK Bridge design in the 90's
[/list]
[/quote]
They used to be made on a planet with higher gravity than earth. ;)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337374481' post='1659138']
I draw the line at anything that requires me to drill, route or dig into my wood. Hell no. Nein Danke!
[/quote]

Das ist eine Schade. Seriously though, how do you expect to get a bridge on? It doesn't just sit on there, y'know ;)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1337374617' post='1659142']
Das ist eine Schade. Seriously though, how do you expect to get a bridge on? It doesn't just sit on there, y'know ;)
[/quote]

Meaning I wouldn't do any additional routing only to devalue a priced instrument, and I always think of resale price of instruments which once they have been butchered they loose their originality and that fancy bridge might not be everyone's cup of tea hence halving my chances of reselling the instrument.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337375010' post='1659150']
Meaning I wouldn't do any additional routing only to devalue a priced instrument, and I always think of resale price of instruments which once they have been butchered they loose their originality and that fancy bridge might not be everyone's cup of tea hence halving my chances of reselling the instrument.
[/quote]

But if you were contemplating fitting a bridge like that, then it's obvious that whatever is on your bass already isn't doing it for you. If everything else about the bass was perfect would you sell it on in the hope that the next was completely right (although it's likely to have at least one thing that you can't get on with) or mod it so it is perfect for you?

Personally I think the practice of keeping instruments in their original condition is overrated, if a single mod will make it your perfect bass. I would have no hesitation making a mod to matter how expensive the bass or how irreversible the mod was if it would make an almost perfect bass completely right for me.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1337375327' post='1659164']
But if it's a Warmouth build like the OPs the route would be original .
[/quote]

This. I think you have maybe taken this slightly out of context. My point is that if you are getting a new bass made anyway (as in the case of the OP), it doesn't really make any difference to the value of it at the end.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1337369431' post='1659022']
wait, what?
[list]
[*]Additional mass creates more punch.
[*]35% weight reduction since the original 2TEK Bridge design in the 90's
[/list]
[/quote]

I read that too.................

I'm sure 'cross talk' is a real thing, but I ahvenmt noticed an the issue to be that bad on any bass I've owned.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337375010' post='1659150']
[/quote]I still have cold sweats at the thought that when these came out in the 90's I at one point considered butchering my Wal to add one :o . THANKFULLY lack of funds put a stop to that

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337375614' post='1659170']
But if you were contemplating fitting a bridge like that, then it's obvious that whatever is on your bass already isn't doing it for you. If everything else about the bass was perfect would you sell it on in the hope that the next was completely right (although it's likely to have at least one thing that you can't get on with) or mod it so it is perfect for you?

Personally I think the practice of keeping instruments in their original condition is overrated, if a single mod will make it your perfect bass. I would have no hesitation making a mod to matter how expensive the bass or how irreversible the mod was if it would make an almost perfect bass completely right for me.
[/quote]

Agreed, if we are talking about a "build" or "bitsa" per se then of course it's not a case of butchering a quality instrument for the sake of fitting an aftermarket gimmick, so I would be ok with that, but even having said that, let's face it: there is chunky, and there is mastodontic and that Warmoth bridge it's lke sailing with the anchor dragging on the sea bed, it's huge and unsightly, a Badass is the limit I'd go to but not that size, it's like a blooming crane counterweight! :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337394246' post='1659372']
Agreed, if we are talking about a "build" or "bitsa" per se then of course it's not a case of butchering a quality instrument for the sake of fitting an aftermarket gimmick, so I would be ok with that, but even having said that, let's face it: there is chunky, and there is mastodontic and that Warmoth bridge it's lke sailing with the anchor dragging on the sea bed, it's huge and unsightly, a Badass is the limit I'd go to but not that size, it's like a blooming crane counterweight! :)
[/quote]

That's cool mate, it's not for everyone obvs.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1337394246' post='1659372']
[/quote]

No I'd quite happily stick this bridge into any bass if I knew it was going to transform that bass from a good bass into the perfect bass for me. That's not to say I like this bridge. I have no idea because I've never tried a bass with it fitted, but what I am against is the idea that you shouldn't do irreversible mods to an instrument because of resale value. Either the mods add value to you in which case you should definitely do them or it's the wrong bass for you and you should look for something else.

True these days there are so many basses around that the chances of finding your perfect bass as a standard model are much higher than they were 30 years ago. I'm lucky in that I've found my perfect bass that requires no modification from me. However it comes with a £5k price tag new. If I could find something that was just as good for under £2k but just required one irreversible mod to make it perfect for me I'd probably do that instead.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1337373111' post='1659101']
This Warmoth body is gonna get a Babicz chrome bridge anyway - it'll prob be better but I would've loved it to have bright nickel hardware...
[/quote]

Very overrated bridge. I read all the bumph, stuck one on a P project test-bed which previously bore a bbot expecting miracles and.... nothing.
As far as I can see the concept is sound but it takes up too much real estate the spacing is fixed (a little too tight) and there is no sonic advantage whatsoever. Stick with Hipshot or Schaller.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1337373111' post='1659101']
This Warmoth body is gonna get a Babicz chrome bridge anyway - it'll prob be better but I would've loved it to have bright nickel hardware...
[/quote]
I have a Babicz on one bass and a 2 - Tek original on another bass. Although it isn't quantifiable in any scientific way i would say that the 2 Tek is a better piece of kit than that Babicz. It feels higher quality - the metal is denser and the finish is lovely.

2 Teks are great bridges.