Why become a member? ×

Roadworn/Relicing(sic) - Is it over?

4 Strings

Are these still fashionable or is this chapter coming to a close now?

I know they are still available but don't seem to hear much about 'relicing' now (nothing to do with lice but an attempt to make a verb from a noun - can a word that doesn't exist be mispelt?).

This is Fender's own, nice regular pattern of knocking off the finish.
[attachment=108007:Knocked Jazz.jpg]

Same bass, why do they never do the end of the headstock, always the first bit to be bashed in real life?
[attachment=108008:Knocked Jazz2.jpg]

Sorry, betraying myself there.

Is it over though?

Edited by 4 Strings

I doubt it.
I think there need to be a few more influential and looked up to people to point out about the road-worn series "hang on these basses are just the same as the other ones but with some paint knocked off them ... it's ... it's just a con really" before the masses will take heed and stop fawning over the intangible reasons why they are better than their identical but mint brothers and sisters. And seeing as the core elite are all Fender through and through I doubt they will come out and say it. :ph34r: ... :D

Of course the best thing about them is you can play them for a while, add your own dinks and scrapes then sell them on "as new" :D

Edited by Ou7shined

I don't see why there's such a fuss over relicing a bass. I don't see a difference between this and the way clothes have been sold for years, faded denim, worn in leather jackets etc.

To me it's just a different finish compared to high gloss, satin, natural wood etc. It takes longer and is actually more personal than some 'factory' finishes so I expect it to be more expensive.

However it's way less expensive than buying a genuinely old bass. To me that means it's a nice way for someone to get a guitar that feels played and nicely worn in for a decent price.

I can't see this going away - it certainly hasn't with other style items like clothing. . .

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1337077968' post='1654895']
Ah but when it comes to the Fenders they are not the same.

The "new" version is poly" the relic Nitro. Would also add on the one I tried the neck was quite nice. The worn in feel like pulling on an old comfy pair of trainers. Certainly a different feel to a new bass.

I'm not keen on the look but I would take the relic'd version over the new one. Simply ion the feel of it.
[/quote]

Fair point (although I'm not sure I'd like to pull on someone else's old comfy trainers) I have tough man-skin on my hands which is unable to tell the difference between the types of finish used.

Yep, with Neepheid on this.

I know this has been rather done to death as a subject with personal preferences, why not, cheaper than a real old bass etc being all good reasons to justify this and others questioning why anyone would damage a new bass, isn't it just pretending and so who's fooling who etc.

I just wondered if it's coming to an end.

Just for the uninitiated, how does a bass feel 'played-in'? I have an old Jaydee, had it from new over 25 years ago, well played but apart from some wear on the ebony where I used to play slap, there's no actual wear on it. Certainly the edge of the fret board is just as crisp as it was when new, there's no way it will start to round off. I also have an old Fender Precision neck, this is VERY well used (ciggy burn and all!) and the frets are showing their age (especially around the key of 'A' - a blues neck surely!) However, the edges are a bit bashed but not worn to be more rounded, still got the lacquer.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337078464' post='1654915']
Fair point (although I'm not sure I'd like to pull on someone else's old comfy trainers) I have tough man-skin on my hands which is unable to tell the difference between the types of finish used.
[/quote]
ach well, as long as you don't start doing anything that might mean finishing basses or guitars.... :P

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337079995' post='1654956']
....Just for the uninitiated, how does a bass feel 'played-in'? ....[/quote]

I think you'll have a hard time tying people down with this one. Most of it is intangible... like when you play a new bass for the first time and you somehow manage to come up with new and exciting riffs all of a sudden - Is it the bass doing it, or is it how the bass makes you feel? I can imagine that a beat up looking bass might make some people feel like they are playing one of the greats instruments (look at all the Jaco copies) and therefore be inspired that way.

I own 2 very beat up basses one from the 70's the other 1980 neither of them impart to me anything by virtue of the fact that the finish is hanging off of them ... what I get from them both though is that they play and (most important for me) sound how I like.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337079995' post='1654956']

Just for the uninitiated, how does a bass feel 'played-in'? I have an old Jaydee, had it from new over 25 years ago, well played but apart from some wear on the ebony where I used to play slap, there's no actual wear on it. Certainly the edge of the fret board is just as crisp as it was when new, there's no way it will start to round off. I also have an old Fender Precision neck, this is VERY well used (ciggy burn and all!) and the frets are showing their age (especially around the key of 'A' - a blues neck surely!) However, the edges are a bit bashed but not worn to be more rounded, still got the lacquer.
[/quote]

Depends on your technique. I dig into the pickups quite hard where I rest my thumb on my right hand, the tops of my pickups are the first place that shows some wear. Eventually any sharp edges get worn off the top of my pickups, however Fender pickups covers don't really wear so I usually round off the bits my thumb goes and it feels much better.

On my fretting hand I have reasonably good technique, thumb on the back of the neck and fingers fairly flat on the frets so I don't put much wear on the edge of the fingerboards. However if you use more of a base ball grip and/or hook your thumb over the top of the neck you're going to wear the edges of the fingerboard eventually and a brand new bass will feel less comfortable.

I like the look of genuinely worn out Fenders but relic instruments always look fake. It's quick and easy to just round off the edges of your pickups and fingerboard to get that worn in feel without having to have a scruffy looking bass.

Edit: And as Ou7shined says, some of it is probably psychological.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337085077' post='1655093']
I prefer this finish to "relicing/roadworn"...

It's called "Damaged desktop". :gas:
[/quote]
That looks very, very good. Let it be a lesson to all those rip off other people's designs.

Oh yeah ...................... relics and road worns are cool.

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1337083744' post='1655063']
Am I the only one who finds it weird that people will pay a premium for worn new basses, but look for genuine old basses in mint condition? There's a phrase involving arses and faces here, isn't there?
[/quote]

it is a bit, but I suspect these are two different sets of people.... :)
I have some very worn old basses, they are nice. I have one shiny newish bass, it is headed the way of the others, by virtue of my sweaty hands. :)

I have never understood the attraction of relics or roadworn - the artificially worn basses look just that:[i] artificially[/i] worn.
I have a 30odd year old bass that's played loads of gigs and been bashed around a fair bit and it doesn't come close to looking as shagged out as some of the new roadworn/relics....

Not sure if the "trend" is coming or going... but I didn't really think much of it, how mad to intentionally beat up a perfectly good new bass, and yes, just as daft as wearing someone's old clothes or taking an angle grinder to one's jeans (preferably without leg in). Bonkers.

However, as a long-time P bass player (owned my '61 fiesta red for 40 years), I fancied a Jazz, and after playing lots of new Fenders, ended up with a used (who cares?!) '62 RI in, yes, fiesta red. And all those things people are saying are in play here - no worries about dinging it, finish feels like the 61, same colour (no-one in the band noticed I'd switched, t*ssers), except it's got a much slimmer neck and more to fiddle with. Oh, and it's in "worse" nick than my P! Probably completely psychological, but I'm enjoying it. Might check out a new Sandberg one of these days, since Jazzes seem like a generally Good Thing.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1337087073' post='1655138']
I have never understood the attraction of relics or roadworn - [b]the artificially worn basses look just that:[i] artificially[/i] worn[/b].
I have a 30odd year old bass that's played loads of gigs and been bashed around a fair bit and it doesn't come close to looking as shagged out as some of the new roadworn/relics....
[/quote]

True although Bravewood's [size=4][b]lightly distressed[/b] basses do look fairly authentic. I have a lot of respect for his eye for detail and ability to do random distressing... nothing worse than seeing the repeated pattern of the same set of keys being amateurishly hammered into a body.[/size]

Edited by Ou7shined

So maybe some will buy because the 'distressing' (how polite!) has been done well!

Regarding the edges of the neck, has anyone worn through the lacquer and then started to actually round off the wood on any of their basses? I can't imagine how much playing would cause that. It would occur only in some places on the neck and by then the jack would be rattling loose, the controls on their 4th replacement and 5th refret.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337090542' post='1655225']
So maybe some will buy because the 'distressing' (how polite!) has been done well![/quote]

Don't laugh. My first introduction to wood working was some 25 years ago where me and my dad would build and "distress" furniture to sell to the landed gentry. :D

Regarding the edges of the neck, has anyone worn through the lacquer and then started to actually round off the wood on any of their basses? I can't imagine how much playing would cause that. It would occur only in some places on the neck and by then the jack would be rattling loose, the controls on their 4th replacement and 5th refret.
[/quote]

My most knackered bass (the G&L L-1000) has a degree of scalloping to the r/w fingerboard edge between the frets. ... the jack was loose and the controls were fooked when I got it. :D

So maybe some will buy because the 'distressing' (how polite!) has been done well!

[/quote]
I've gone through the Nitro finish on my Jazz so the binding looks pristine white whereas the blocks can hardly be seen under the cracking tobacco stained finish, but i think thats more of a chemical reaction with my sweat because its down to the wood on the back too.

[quote]
My most knackered bass (the G&L L-1000) has a degree of scalloping to the r/w fingerboard edge between the frets. ... the jack was loose and the controls were fooked when I got it. :D
[/quote]

I'm impressed. Maybe that's why violins use ebony.

I wonder how much a 'reliced' Steinway would be.

[attachment=108022:1011019-battered-piano-keyboard-sitting-outside.jpg]

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337085077' post='1655093']
I prefer this finish to "relicing/roadworn"...

It's called "Damaged desktop". :gas:
[/quote]

I like the ones that have the 'noughts & crosses' on them as well:)

Edited by molan