Why become a member? ×

Guitar lines on bass

If you listen to any of the songs that my singer has written, I've written the bassline (no auto correct to make it say "baseline"). He plays the guitar & sings the song, the rest of the band compose their own parts. If the singer or any other band member doesn't like what someone is playing, then they make suggestions to try other ideas (no demands made). If I can't work out the chords I ask him (I usually just look at what he's playing if I can't pick it by ear).
When I write songs, I write the chords, melody & bassline (& sometimes vocals or a solo). It's then up to each musician to make the song "ours".

I was talking to a Banjo player yesterday & said my singer plays banjo too, but he prefers to play guitar when singing. He asked what kind of band I was in & I said "I've no idea. There's the singer/guitarist, me on bass & a mandolinist who plays penny whistle". He asked if it was a folk band? I said nope, probably closer to Jazz & we ain't jazz either! :lol:

If I left & a different bassist joined, it would be a very different band.

Sorry about going completely off topic, but my point is that a musician subconsciously wants to better themselves & playing in a band enhances that desire.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1336763240' post='1650829']
It's in Eb Ab Db Gb tuning right?
[/quote]

Yes it is - I time-stretched the mp3 UP a semitone to play it at concert pitch (but using -1 semitone fingering) so I don't have to faff about retuning at gigs (some numbers are -1 and some aren't).

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1336763240' post='1650829']Billy is always about holding back, or linking with the guitar or only soloing when it's not going to ruin the low end. Hence why he rarely solos in songs [End fanboy rant] :lol:[/quote]

Absolutely fine. I'm old school, me - I don't consider the bass to be a solo instrument. *hides in shed*

I liked that a lot more than I expected to.
There are spaces in it where some kind of Steve Harris frippery would work (I'm thinking the harmony guitar bit in the middle) but only briefly. On the whole you are right Eddie, it needs simplicity to really drive the whole thing.

I don't think it's wrong, [i]per se[/i], to lock in with the guitar - if you're playing rock, and you've got a good riff going, I don't see why both of you can't go with it. If it's not for note, throughout the entire piece, well, you might begin to wonder.

Keep it simple; keep it in the groove; take the listener with you. I've never seen it as my playing the guitar part, as I write a lot of them, but more of the guitar [i]playing my part[/i] - that way you can keep them under close supervision and ensure they're on the beat :lol:

You can add the fretw***ery in later, when you're middle aged and more convinced of your opinions on internet forums. That's what I intend to do.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1336815493' post='1651387']
why not listen to it yourself?:
[/quote]

Really sorry, Eddie, I'm being dim again. Is that you playing drums or you playing bass? Either way, it's a corking song and delivered with exemplary precision.

Anyway.

Is it worth permitting your bassplayer a song or two where - for a limited period only - he plays the guitar line while the guitarist plays a harmony above? Would that get this guitar-foolishness out of his system?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1336824400' post='1651571']
I liked that a lot more than I expected to.
There are spaces in it where some kind of Steve Harris frippery would work (I'm thinking the harmony guitar bit in the middle) but only briefly. On the whole you are right Eddie, it needs simplicity to really drive the whole thing.
[/quote]

I'm glad you thought that. Maybe there is slightly more that could have been added without ruining it but overall I think the balance was alright on that song (even if I say so myself lol)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1336839086' post='1651798']
Really sorry, Eddie, I'm being dim again. Is that you playing drums or you playing bass? Either way, it's a corking song and delivered with exemplary precision.
[/quote]

EH played all the instruments on that particular recording, including the rubbish vocals lol.

[quote]
Is it worth permitting your bassplayer a song or two where - for a limited period only - he plays the guitar line while the guitarist plays a harmony above? Would that get this guitar-foolishness out of his system?
[/quote]

Hmm I am not sure about that really. Unless you're suggesting I do that just so he can see how crap it sounds lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1336851064' post='1652021']
EH played all the instruments on that particular recording, including the rubbish vocals lol.
[/quote]

Sweet Jesus, Eddie. I'm [i]hugely[/i] impressed. That's some mighty multi-instrumentation, matey. Never realised you were so talented.

Not being rude or patronising or anything, but it's a startling revelation - rather like opening one's wardrobe and finding Albert Einstein inside.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1336862570' post='1652168']
Sweet Jesus, Eddie. I'm [i]hugely[/i] impressed. That's some mighty multi-instrumentation, matey. Never realised you were so talented.
[/quote]

Ditto.

Though, unlike Skank, I am firmly of the mind that closets should contain Tom Cruise; whilst wardrobes may be permitted of any combition of magical realms of small oriental men well versed in the martial arts.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1336862570' post='1652168']

Not being rude or patronising or anything, but it's a startling revelation - rather like opening one's wardrobe and finding Albert Einstein inside.
[/quote]

ty :blush: . Did you not comment on my original thread about this song? It was a while ago.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1336863570' post='1652179']
Ditto.

Though, unlike Skank, I am firmly of the mind that closets should contain Tom Cruise; whilst wardrobes may be permitted of any combition of magical realms of small oriental men well versed in the martial arts.
[/quote]

I agree. Whoever is in the storage compartments of your house should be sufficiently compact as to not take up too much room.

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1336999260' post='1653695']
I'm not sure what the problem is with the bass line in the song you linked? I think it's fine?
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the bassline in the song. I was just using it as an example of our band's sound so others on this thread could hear whether it sounded too "simple" or not (I don't think it does though).

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1336771783' post='1651003']
I tought him the basics, and that was a few years ago. He's pretty muc hjust been learning on his own since then. He showed some interest in learning the guitar a few months ago but suddenly went off the idea again.

I do try to add fills in wherever appropriate, just like on drums. I think the whole point is though that he has just got to accept that the bass is the bass and not the guitar. There is only so far you can go with it.
[/quote]

I'd be tempted to react angrily to you saying "there is only ......it" but I am not an angry person. Let him breathe.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1337033045' post='1654518']
I'd be tempted to react angrily to you saying "there is only ......it" but I am not an angry person. Let him breathe.
[/quote]

Fair enough mate, if you want to walk all over your band's sound then fine. I'm not having that in my band though, the sound of the song IMO is much more important than any one persons' ego.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1337033506' post='1654525']
Is this the same guy who said Stuart Hamm couldn't keep time?
[/quote]

Chill mate, that was 2 years ago lol. I stand by what I said though. Maybe he was having an off day?

Edited by EdwardHimself

Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't. Technical ability is usually learned before the concept of taste. I can certainly admit to being an example of that! Took me a few years until I realised that most of my favourite players actually 'get their cock and balls out' quite rarely in songs, and play what suits the song rather than what sounds hardest to play! :)

• 3 weeks later...