Why become a member? ×

Too precious about equipment?

4 Strings

What was veg soup doing in a pub? More likely the latter! Anyway, no-ones going to put beer on an amp head with open vents.

Can I generalise and say its older people who become anal about their gear? I've never like getting digs in my basses, never, even when I was 18, but now I'm 52 I take maker's advertising stickers off the top of an amp and preserve them underneath.
The bands in Kent, to which I referred earlier, (Fish Tank, Tubelord to name two) are a lot younger than I, maybe its that.

A great friend of mine is an amazing bass player, has a row of basses, mostly very expensive. He's not much younger than me. Trouble is they honestly don't go out his house. He takes a copy out. The mention of a sticker would end up with me being sprayed with coffee. Do we over value our gear? Its expensive but, relatively, not as expensive as it used to be - a weeks wages for something half decent?

I suggested to the bass player in my youngest's band he could carve the name of the band into his bass. To my horror, but ultimately, pleasure, he came back in 10 minutes with it done! It would take him months to replace the bass should he need to.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1336644822' post='1648762']
I like my gear and will always look after it as best i can. It earns me decent money and i spend decent money on it so i want to look after it.
[/quote]

+1 to this.

I look after my gear because it's a tool for making money and I invested decent money in my gear with this in mind.

I don't screw the t!ts off my car everyday on the way to work, because I know it will die quicker and cause me bigger hassle in the long run, but I'm aware that it will require some level of upkeep due to wear and tear.

Same goes with my gear. Simple really.

Also, I think people are a lot more aware of style these days. Personally, I wouldn't put stickers etc on my bass, not because it would reduce resale value, or be side it would be damage to the bass, but because it looks crap (IMO). I would happily alter my instrument (irreversibly) such as screwing pickup covers onto the body etc if I felt it would make the bass look cooler (to me).

Maybe the majority of bassists think the same. It would also explain the popularity of faux damage (such as relicing a new bass).

Edited by skej21

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336663585' post='1649153']
Can I generalise and say its older people who become anal about their gear? I've never like getting digs in my basses, never, even when I was 18, but now I'm 52 I take maker's advertising stickers off the top of an amp and preserve them underneath.
[/quote]

:) Can I specific-ise and say I'm 53 and remain entirely relaxed about anything other than severe structural damage. As long as it was me that caused it :lol:

Music is a language. As musicians, we need instruments to speak the language just as in spoken and written language, we need voices and writing devices such as pens, pencils, typewriters, keyboards to convey thoughts and opinion. In our case here, our bass guitars are these devices which help us speak and give us a voice in the language of music.

In my bass bag, I carry a pencil. The pencil cost me £8. I use this to mark parts etc and make sure I never lose it and am extremely careful who I lend it to on rehearsals. I'd be devastated at losing my £8 pencil. Why am I telling you of my £8 pencil? Because over the years, I've lost a TON of pencils at rehearsals etc and didn't think twice about these cheap pencils that I'd lose - It was more the inconvenience of turning up to rehearsals with no pencil because I didn't look after the cheap ones. So, after 18 months, I still have my £8 pencil.

Now, back to bass guitars. I think we all have a bass guitar that we've saved for for a while and love to bits and though we buy new ones, trade and sell them, they're all very important things in our lives - So why not look after them? Dents/dings are inevitable, yes but we should all respect them.

Yeah, we all play pub gigs and gigs where our basses may get a bit more tattered than on other gigs, but is this really going to dictate how bashed we let our instruments get or dictate to us that we need an inferior bass to play on these gigs? It wouldn't for me.

So from this, I'd say, rethink your rehearsal pencil.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1336664929' post='1649183']
:) Can I specific-ise and say I'm 53 and remain entirely relaxed about anything other than severe structural damage. As long as it was me that caused it :lol:
[/quote]

Right, that does it! The sticker is off the bottom of my amp and IN THE BIN! I've rebelled and I'm still only 52!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336666279' post='1649212']
I try to look after my equipment and don't really understand why anyone wouldn't look after their equipment. I'm not precious about it and if it gets a dink so be it and I'm the same with other things in my life.

I also carry spare batteries and strings and leads.
[/quote]

No, this isn't about not looking after your instruments/gear!

Remember in the old days, new cars used to come with clear plastic seat covers. Some people used to keep them on. Felt crap to sit on but kept their seats clean.

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1336665695' post='1649202']
Music is a language. As musicians, we need instruments to speak the language just as in spoken and written language, we need voices and writing devices such as pens, pencils, typewriters, keyboards to convey thoughts and opinion. In our case here, our bass guitars are these devices which help us speak and give us a voice in the language of music.

In my bass bag, I carry a pencil. The pencil cost me £8. I use this to mark parts etc and make sure I never lose it and am extremely careful who I lend it to on rehearsals. I'd be devastated at losing my £8 pencil. Why am I telling you of my £8 pencil? Because over the years, I've lost a TON of pencils at rehearsals etc and didn't think twice about these cheap pencils that I'd lose - It was more the inconvenience of turning up to rehearsals with no pencil because I didn't look after the cheap ones. So, after 18 months, I still have my £8 pencil.

Now, back to bass guitars. I think we all have a bass guitar that we've saved for for a while and love to bits and though we buy new ones, trade and sell them, they're all very important things in our lives - So why not look after them? Dents/dings are inevitable, yes but we should all respect them.

Yeah, we all play pub gigs and gigs where our basses may get a bit more tattered than on other gigs, but is this really going to dictate how bashed we let our instruments get or dictate to us that we need an inferior bass to play on these gigs? It wouldn't for me.

So from this, I'd say, rethink your rehearsal pencil.
[/quote]

flip, I'm an artist/designer by trade and I'm struggling to think of an £8 pencil.

I had a wonderful jazz last year- a real joy of an instrument but it had been kept so well I was slightly scared to play it- i just had got it and it wasn't 'my bass' yet that I wouldn't have minded damage. Ultimately I moved it on.
My old P bass used to get slung in the bottom of the megabus with just a gig bag! but it was built like a rock.
My wick has been well played by the previous owner- and I love that- I love not needing to worry about it- of course I look after it and treat it with care but don't get anal.

The JV is an odd one really- fantastic bass in good condition, like really good. And since I've got it they seem to have become more valuable, a lot of the time now I feel slightly nervous about taking it out- it's not going to go in the gig bag on the back of my push bike anymore! It's a shame as I would rather feel I can play it more- maybe that will change when I get a car or possibly it will get to the point where I will trade it for something I feel less precious about.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336666577' post='1649223']
No, this isn't about not looking after your instruments/gear!

Remember in the old days, new cars used to come with clear plastic seat covers. Some people used to keep them on. Felt crap to sit on but kept their seats clean.
[/quote]
In the old days when I was young I could never afford a new car and didn't know anyone who could so I missed out on those seat covers.

If I ever bought a bass new (I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one) it will stay in a case and will be cherished and will be preserved. Film will stay on the pickguard, manufacturers stickers will stay where they are and case candy will stay in the case. Of course i'll take it out to play at home, but I'd never ever take it to gigs. There's a million perfectly acceptable basses out there to gig with!

All my stuff is second hand and looks it. A few dents, a few stains and scrapes. Adds to the character!

Truckstop

My Fenders were all second hand and with varying degrees of superficial damage already on them, I don't abuse them but I don't worry if they pick more dings and scratches. Some are looking pretty scruffy after 20 years of playing.

My Status basses were all bought new and apart from some heavy finger wear over the pickups they're pretty much pristine, so I guess I take much more care over them.

My amp has been bashed into all sorts of things over the years but it's tough and still looks like new.

Lot's of comments here and I'll make some...

RE that snakes and ladders game, I had that 45 years ago, thanks for reminding me that I am not a spring chicken.

RE dings, there's three types for me, buckle rash on the back is great, proves you play it, chips on the front of the body, painful but heals, any damage to the neck is unacceptable, I've had necks repairs because they had tiny amounts of damage. I've not bought instruments because the neck was dinged, even one. Oh I forgot tarnished hardware, I like that too.

I must confess I actually bought a cheaper guitar to use as a beater. It's still in good nick which is ironic. Perhaps we should shut up and play our guitars.

[quote name='CS2' timestamp='1336669531' post='1649287']
RE dings, there's three types for me, buckle rash on the back is great, proves you play it, chips on the front of the body, painful but heals, any damage to the neck is unacceptable, I've had necks repairs because they had tiny amounts of damage. I've not bought instruments because the neck was dinged, even one. Oh I forgot tarnished hardware, I like that too.
[/quote]

I have a ding in the neck of my jazz bass. It happened in the house. Whilst I was putting another bass away, it brushed the neck of my jazz and resulted in a ding. In my eyes, unavoidable, and part of 'wear and tear'. I also have a ding on the fingerboard of my Stingray due to something else knocking it in the house. Both great tragedies but both unavoidable - Though, neither affecting the playability of either instrument - And neither happened out gigging at thrash metal gigs in rowdy pubs either to those whom believe that the state of instruments have something to do with the type of music you play in whatever venue.