Why become a member? ×

Advice on trading in

Hoppo75

Hi folks,

Time has come for me to part company with my beloved 73' P bass. She's been with me for 23 years and was the first proper guitar my Dad bought for me when he realised I was really serious about being a bassist. My FrankenJazz delivers absolutely everything I need in terms of thump and twang, and so to have such a wonderful bit of kit living in a case is a crying shame.
What I'm after is an upgrade in backline. My Hartke HA3500A, pro series cab and Aphex bass xciter have blown my mind in recent months, but I've had my head turned by the flexibility of the likes of the GB, Aguilar and Eden heads, not to mention the various lightweight cab options available. I'm in no rush to get rid of the P, but I have decided to let it go in pursuit of backline greatness.

With all that in mind, I've been looking at the various options open to me, with trade in being one of them.

Has anyone got recent experience in trading something along the same lines into any of the northern guitar hangouts (I'm in northumberland)? Any I should avoid? and any you'd recommend? Are there deals to be had along the same lines as if I go in with cash? I certainly won't have any of them extracting the Michael out of me as I know what it's potentially worth in a straight sale, but I thought I'd ask the BC community for a bit of direction.

Cheers :)

Mushers has it spot on. On here, a 73 Precision will fetch a decent sum, and in some ways, you may feel better, knowing it`s going to a musician who will cherish it, and give it the attention it deserves.

A for example, when looking at doing the same, I contacted a well-known southern musical retailer, and they told me they would give 50% of what they could sell something for. So your (possible) £1800/£2K bass will fetch £900/a grand. And against brand new gear in a music shop, will you get what you`re after with a grand?

You really want to part with a cherished P-bass? Personally I reckon a bass like that is a keeper, backline gear is just that, easy come easy go & I wouldn't buy gear like that on a whim, not for the sake of a loved bass :o

If you do - the last thing I'd do is trade it in shop, they'll offer (as said above) about 1/2 it's worth.

Much better to put some photo's up on here & a realistic asking price, it'll sell quick enough unless overpriced & most likely go to a good home :) or try getting a trade for some gear you want.

You might even be able to 'keep in touch' with it & who knows - in the future you might even want it back :P

I'd sell privately. The only time I've had 'good' trade ins was when I traded in a secondhand Jackson Guitar (ewww...metal) for £250 and it cost me less than that. I did a few trades with the Bass Merchant and because I bought a LOT of stuff I got good deals.

Otherwise, avoid.

I was chatting to the guy in PMT in Bristol about whether it's a good idea to trade in and even he advised me to sell rather than trade in. The shop has to pay VAT on the sale of the item so they have to knock that off the trade-in value. Plus they have to make some money off it so you're looking at at least 20% less than selling it privately (due to the VAT) plus whatever profit they want to make.

Have no fear mate, this isn't a hasty decision......I've been debating it for ages now. I'm just not doing anything with it and its taken 2 years to decide on the sale. The guitar has been unbelievable, but the time is right to move her on.

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]beloved 73' P bass. She's been with me for 23 years and was the first proper guitar my Dad bought for me when he realised I was really serious about being a bassist". [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :o[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dude, at least consider not selling this. It's a decent bass with a huge amount of sentimental value. Money is money, it comes and goes. I'm almost certain you'll really, really regret this in 10 years time.[/font][/color]

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1336413529' post='1645322']
"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]beloved 73' P bass. She's been with me for 23 years and was the first proper guitar my Dad bought for me when he realised I was really serious about being a bassist". [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :o[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dude, at least consider not selling this. It's a decent bass with a huge amount of sentimental value. Money is money, it comes and goes. I'm almost certain you'll really, really regret this in 10 years time.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

+1

you are mad to sell this.

Let me get this right....
You have a bass you like and has a emotional value for you.
You don't 'have' to sell
you have a rig that "Blows your mind"
and your rig isn't exactly a rubbish one- lots of folk on here would swear that that is an amp that punches way above it's weight for the price range.

You have a jazz that you like and gets more play time.

so what do you want to do? you want to sell the P bass....
and get a more flexible amp.... flexible... your amp already had two preamps and a ten band EQ section plus bass and treble..... what more are you looking for? You then list some amps so vastly different in terms of tone, design idea and 'flexibility' that i'm thinking you possibly don't really know what you want.
Keep the bass, if it's got rounds on it try flats, maybe save up a bit, sell your cab and buy something lightweight if you want but keep the bass!