Why become a member? ×

Shuker Thru neck 5 string

Veils

[quote name='eude' post='183602' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:05 AM']Nice one, with the single Pickup it reminded me of 7string's Sei actually, which is incredibly drool-worthy.
I'm pretty certain that's what's next on the list for me though, once I get my hands on my Shuker Pub Bass that is :)

Keep us posted on what you decide, if you want a hand roughing a shape out, I don't mind helping out using Illustrator, although if you want a proper mockup i do believe Sugden does some cracking renderings of basses, I think he's been doing all of Skelf's for AC Guitars of late, which look brilliant.[/quote]

I've just realised who you are, by following your band's myspace page. Did you know that I posted on another forum giving a link to one of your pieces on the Shuker site and saying that this is the kind of bass playing I aspire to?

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='306730' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:29 PM']I've just realised who you are, by following your band's myspace page. Did you know that I posted on another forum giving a link to one of your pieces on the Shuker site and saying that this is the kind of bass playing I aspire to?[/quote]

Seriously dude? Me?
I'm well flattered!

What piece was it?!

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='306764' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:19 PM']Seriously dude? Me?
I'm well flattered!

What piece was it?!

Eude[/quote]

It's "The Demons Bite", Clip One on your Shuker bass page. I really like that riff. I've seen the clips of Victor Wooten doing the speed bit and the tap bit, and that superfast slap guy posted here. And I think that given that I'm now older and busier, I don't think I'll ever be able to practice enough to do that, and in the case of the extreme slap bass guy, don't want to. But even though The Demons Bite is [b]comparatively[/b] simple and straightfoward compared to the Wooten and Jaco extended solos, I heard it and thought "that's what I want to be able to do, and if I keep practicing, I'll be able to do". I like the percussion too.

Other playing I aspire to includes Paul McCartney's playing on "Wings at the speed of sound", not his most popular album, but I much prefer the bass playing on it to anything else he's done. That sort of "riff that's melodic enough to be a hook in itself" bit is what I like. And I think "The Demons Bite" is an excellent example of that.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='306812' date='Oct 15 2008, 05:39 AM']It's "The Demons Bite", Clip One on your Shuker bass page. I really like that riff. I've seen the clips of Victor Wooten doing the speed bit and the tap bit, and that superfast slap guy posted here. And I think that given that I'm now older and busier, I don't think I'll ever be able to practice enough to do that, and in the case of the extreme slap bass guy, don't want to. But even though The Demons Bite is [b]comparatively[/b] simple and straightfoward compared to the Wooten and Jaco extended solos, I heard it and thought "that's what I want to be able to do, and if I keep practicing, I'll be able to do". I like the percussion too.

Other playing I aspire to includes Paul McCartney's playing on "Wings at the speed of sound", not his most popular album, but I much prefer the bass playing on it to anything else he's done. That sort of "riff that's melodic enough to be a hook in itself" bit is what I like. And I think "The Demons Bite" is an excellent example of that.[/quote]

Hey man,
glad you like it, that's high praise indeed, and I thought it might've been a bit noodly :huh:
I know exactly what you mean about all these extreme techniques.
They're hella impressive and so much fun to play, however in my own musical experience I've found very little room for them in anything I've done with other people musically.

I'll let my drummer know you like the drums too, he was going for an Adam and the Ants moment :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='presoulnation' post='306900' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:18 AM']Awww feel the love!!

As for the shape I have got a pic from a while back that Jon sent me which will give you some idea of the body shape! It is something similar to what you suggested, Eude :)[/quote]

Awesome mate,
that's gonna be one sweet bass!

Eude

[quote name='presoulnation' post='178143' date='Apr 16 2008, 06:22 PM'].......and just look at those woods! Something like that from Warwick would cost me 7 arms, 5 legs, several eyes, 2 livers, 2 gall bladders and a pancreas![/quote]
And they would all have to be yours
Zach

Yeah I quite liked the idea too, and I reckon that striped ebony on the headstock with a bright blue backlit logo is going to look amazing. Jon originally told me he was working on another switch for the logo to be seperately lit, but I told him I wasn't too fussed about that, he's done me so many favours that, along with the endorsement, I'd be an absolute pig not to be repping him at every available opportunity!

[quote name='presoulnation' post='311814' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:33 AM']OK here is where we are up to

I am rather happy with this :)[/quote]

Holy crap!
That is gorgeous mate!

The new shape looks great too.

Nice one,
Eude

The prices are surprisingly reasonable and the more recent Shukers can easily stand up to a Smith or Fodera in terms of build quality IMO. Just be prepared for a bit of a wait, Jon's priorities are quality not deadlines. Just looking at PSN's build diary now, I like that new shape too and it has me gassing for a pair of headless workhorse 5 strings with that body shape using 3 piece maple necks and a mahogany body...but then I remember I already have those coming but with graphite necks instead and a custom body shape and custom pickups.

Spot on there Kiwi, Jon is more than happy to give you an idea of when he thinks something will be done by, but he isn't prepared to let timescales hamper his build quality. And given that (for example) a Sei is considerably more expensive and takes a lot longer to build, I think Jon's basses are an absolute steal. Pricewise, I can't really go into what this is costing me as it wouldn't be fair on Jon but he has done me a bit of (but not a massive) favour.

My bass is a pretty high spec, but even at full price would be worth absoultely every single penny. Every bass I have picked up of Jon's has played like butter and I can go through all my trickiest chops with far more fluency and speed than I have ever been able to on any other bass.

Don't think about it, just buy one!!!

[quote name='fumps' post='312010' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:08 PM']THats stunning

I want one now....i bet these things cost a fortune[/quote]

I have to whole-heartedly agree with Steve (CrazyKiwi). Jon's workmanship is flawless and given that there are plenty of luthiers out there who also do a great job, imho he offers the best value for money. The wait is worth it... My current build will be my 3rd amazing Shuker!

[quote name='dood' post='312112' date='Oct 22 2008, 02:13 PM']I have to whole-heartedly agree with Steve (CrazyKiwi). Jon's workmanship is flawless and given that there are plenty of luthiers out there who also do a great job, imho he offers the best value for money. The wait is worth it... My current build will be my 3rd amazing Shuker![/quote]

Ride Sally Ride!

[quote name='presoulnation' post='312090' date='Oct 22 2008, 01:58 PM']I owe you one for some inspiration on the shape as well mate :huh:[/quote]

No bother bud, glad to help a fellow Shuker-head out :)
It's gonna be a beast!

Eude