Why become a member? ×

Shuker Thru neck 5 string

Veils

Reetooooooo

Just come back from seeing Jon today and it looks like I am going ahead with a build and my endorsement will be coming from him instead of Warwick!

Edit - full spec as follows

5 string
White ash body
African striped ebony top
Snakewood fretboard
Polyester basecoat
Gloss topcoat
34" scale
24 jumbo frets
5 piece maple / wenge laminated neck
Delano MM5FE
Delano JMVC5FE
Shuker 3 band eq, vol, pan, treble, mid, bass, internal mid freq control and circuit gain, active/passive switch
Blue side LED's operated by a magical toggle switch of justice
Schaller 2000 bridge
Black hardware
Gotoh tuners
Brass nut

We are going to play about with string spacing as I wanted a little wider, but this will effect the pickups used. But I think that about covers it......

Here is a pic of the wood being used for the fretboard

Here is the top being used

And this is a body Jon had about which he was working on, so for the sake of getting a feel for the contrast, here is what the top and fretboard look like together, mine will not be a singlecut :)

Edited by Veils

Well there are one or two complications with the Warwick thing. And also, I think anyone who has played Jon's basses knows that he is likely to build something which blows a Warwick out of the water for less. Nothing against Warwick, they are nice basses, but to be endorsed by someone who is going to build me something to my spec which has that personal touch is really worth something to me, as is supporting a local luthier......

.......and just look at those woods! Something like that from Warwick would cost me 7 arms, 5 legs, several eyes, 2 livers, 2 gall bladders and a pancreas!

Awesome specs there mate, and congrats on the endorsement too, welcome (to your doom...) :)
That snakewood is just sick.

I see Jon is making another headless single cut too, I feel a rumbling in my tum, must be GAS again...

Cheers,
Eude

Hey, what shape are you going for?
Just the regular dual cut-away job or something more custom?

I never really dug the original Shuker dual cut-away shape before, but it's recent incarnation looks great!

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='179960' date='Apr 18 2008, 05:06 PM']Hey, what shape are you going for?
Just the regular dual cut-away job or something more custom?

I never really dug the original Shuker dual cut-away shape before, but it's recent incarnation looks great!

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Well I quite like the shape, although I am toying with the idea of tweaking a bit, the one shape of bass which totally gets me is the Sei Original. There used to be a black and white pic of James Leach from Sikth up on myspace and it is just the ultimate bass shot for me, I'd link you but its been taken down. So if I am to tweak the shape, then it will be something like that.

Also one thing I didn't mention is that I have asked Jon to make this bass a little heavier than his usual. I have found Jon's basses to be a tad on the light side and with me being a big lad I like to feel like I am holding something substantial. Especially as I really move around a lot on stage!

[quote name='presoulnation' post='179968' date='Apr 18 2008, 05:13 PM']Well I quite like the shape, although I am toying with the idea of tweaking a bit, the one shape of bass which totally gets me is the Sei Original. There used to be a black and white pic of James Leach from Sikth up on myspace and it is just the ultimate bass shot for me, I'd link you but its been taken down. So if I am to tweak the shape, then it will be something like that.[/quote]

I know the Sei Bass you mean, the one with the cut out on the body as if it was headless, but it's still a headed instrument, very nice.
I love Sei basses, always have, been down to the Gallery a couple of times when I've been in London just to drool....

Don't get me wrong though, I really like the standard shape Jon's doing now.
I'm talking to him at the moment about a simple passive bolt-on 6 string as a backup to me single cut and I got messing about with the shape.
I tweaked it by 10 degrees and I think it looks awesome, so I reckon that'll be the shape of my next baby!

What do you reckon?

[b]Standard Shape >>[/b]
[attachment=8050:Shuker_B...c_BoltOn.jpg]

[b]10 Degree Tweak >>[/b]
[attachment=8051:Shuker_B...On_Tweak.jpg]

Cheers,
Eude

Now that does look pretty awesome!

Hmmmm.....I see a little chat with Jon coming on friday.......not quite sure exactly what I want to go for, and I also see nothing wrong with the shape of his basses, I just fancy something just that little bit individual :)

[quote name='presoulnation' post='183063' date='Apr 22 2008, 06:52 PM']Now that does look pretty awesome!

Hmmmm.....I see a little chat with Jon coming on friday.......not quite sure exactly what I want to go for, and I also see nothing wrong with the shape of his basses, I just fancy something just that little bit individual :)[/quote]

Nice one, with the single Pickup it reminded me of 7string's Sei actually, which is incredibly drool-worthy.
I'm pretty certain that's what's next on the list for me though, once I get my hands on my Shuker Pub Bass that is :huh:

Keep us posted on what you decide, if you want a hand roughing a shape out, I don't mind helping out using Illustrator, although if you want a proper mockup i do believe Sugden does some cracking renderings of basses, I think he's been doing all of Skelf's for AC Guitars of late, which look brilliant.

Cheers,
Eude

• 4 months later...

[quote name='eude' post='183602' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:05 AM']Nice one, with the single Pickup it reminded me of 7string's Sei actually, which is incredibly drool-worthy.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Just noticed this. Nice to read good things about your own bass. :)

....and now we return the Shuker build diary.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe at the moment, the neck is done, the wings are done and top is on, I believe the board has been planed but I don't know if it is fretted or not. It is getting pretty close now, I believe about 4 or 5 weeks away. I will get pics up here as soon as I have them :)

4-5 weeks away :)

I have just asked Jon to send me some pics tonight if he can. I think he hasn't bothered to send me any so far because I literally live 10 mins drive from his workshop so I can nip and see him any time.

Tony - I would recommend just saving hard for it. I didn't pay all mine off in one go, in fact I still have 300 left to pay, but Jon was more than happy for me to give him a deposit to start the build and just keep dropping him chunks of cash off whenever I was able to. And as I am sure many people will tell you, Jon is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. He is so accommodating and prepared to listen to your suggestions as well as offer his own expert opinion. And if you have never played one of his basses you really are missing out. With the exception of a Fodera I played a while back, nothing I have picked up comes anywhere close to the sheer playability of a Shuker and they sound absolutely incredible as well. Totally worth every penny and I couldn't recommend him enough!

Come on Shuker owners, back me up on this one and all post pics of your yummy Shukers to convince Tony to get one hahahaha :huh: