Why become a member? ×

There's some new Sterling SUBs coming.

NancyJohnson

There was a very short but favourable review in US Bass Player (May 2012). $280 street price. 2 band EQ.

I've never owned a Stingray before (although I own a Bongo) and I have a penchant for cheap basses. I's a pity that they're not carrying a black/rosewood version (although I suppose there's also someone thinking it's a pity they're not doing a white/maple one).
P

Looks like a narrow nut width which will please some people and as ever they have now made a solid wood body bass with all the contours, best pre amp IMO (maybe not quite the same but still), wheel of fortune truss rod adjuster and in cool colours, wheres the catch? the only way to get that would be a Slo neck special series Stingray! Marketing disaster again, will they ever get it right?

Put me down for a Sub Sterling Sterling SB14 then :o

I'm confused. My USA Sterling does me fine and I love it.

Why should anyone buy a [i]Sterling by Musicman[/i] instrument over a [i]SUB Series Sterling by Musicman[/i]? I know this is comparable to Squier/Fender Mex/Fender US but it makes less sense to me.

Imagine if Fender introduced a brand called [i]Telecaster by Fender[/i] then you would have [i]Telecaster by Fender [/i]Telecasters, [i]Telecaster by Fender [/i]Precisions, [i]Telecaster by Fender [/i]Jazz[i]. [/i]And then on top of that imagine [i]Squier Series[/i] [i]Telecaster by Fender[/i] Telecaster, [i]Squier Series[/i] [i]Telecaster by Fender [/i]Precision. It makes no sense to me and I'm a product manager that does this kind of thing for a living. It is important to differentiate your products easily in the market and sadly Ernie Ball is creating confusion and I think are in danger of diluting the power of the premium brand especially since from what I've seen the [i]Sterling [/i]branded stuff is really nicely made[i]. [/i]

I'd be interested in any views that clarify this situation or what their strategis thinking is. I'm not a MM fanboy, although I'm a very happy MM owner and probable future customer so no axe to grind.

Sean

Edited by Sean

Also, just thought. The Japanese manufacturers like Ibanez and Yamaha don't do this kind of multiple brand approach; you can go out and buy a £200 Yamaha and a £2500 Yamaha, they just have different model designations and it works beautifully for them. Same for Ibanez, they just stick [i]Prestige[/i] or [i]Premium[/i] of [i]Gio on the model name and don't have a compeltely different go-to-maket scheme. [/i]I find it much easier and personally I do not have a problem owning a bass that costs £2500 when it has £200 siblings with the same name on the headstock and seemingly not many people do judging by Yamaha and Ibanez sales of their high-end instruments.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1335636098' post='1634137']
Of all things bringing back the SUB name again! but before the SUB was the higher version, higher than the new Sterling IMO. So confusing it almost makes you want a full on EBMM with a natural headstock just so as everyone is clear, maybe thats the point?
[/quote]

+1. And the word SUB implies [i]below[/i], [i]substitute[/i], [i]lesser [/i]or even a cheap carby bread-based sandwich-type lunch item that I'd never go near for fear of... Read the South Beach Diet thread for more details B)

I can only imagine that this thread is doing wonders for the saleability of the pre-EB Stingray on here. It's certainly got my wallet twitchin' :gas:

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1335635334' post='1634117']
Also, just thought. The Japanese manufacturers like Ibanez and Yamaha don't do this kind of multiple brand approach; you can go out and buy a £200 Yamaha and a £2500 Yamaha, they just have different model designations and it works beautifully for them. Same for Ibanez, they just stick [i]Prestige[/i] or [i]Premium[/i] of [i]Gio on the model name and don't have a compeltely different go-to-maket scheme. [/i]I find it much easier and personally I do not have a problem owning a bass that costs £2500 when it has £200 siblings with the same name on the headstock and seemingly not many people do judging by Yamaha and Ibanez sales of their high-end instruments.
[/quote]
I'd agree with this. Don't understand Squier at all. Particularly with the Modern Player Series now.

It seems pretty straightforward. Put in Fender terms, which almost everyone seems to understand, the Sub Sterling by Musicman is the Squire version, the Sterling by Musicman is the Made in Mexico Fender, and the Musicman is the Made in America Fender.

Understandable they don't want to put the Musicman name on the entry level bass. I think it's intended to be like the OLP was, or the Vintage Stingray copy. Although some manufacturers do put their name on instruments from low price up to high price, many don't such as Warwick, Ibanez, Fender, Gibson etc etc - Musicman are simply following the generally accepted marketing process.

The fact Musicman have re-entered the entry level bass market is more of a surprise to me than anything else.

BTW the root beer coloured one is trans walnut I believe. I think they've probably chosen the colour/neck combos very carefully - supposedly more Stingrays in black/maple are sold than any other combo by a large margin, hence its inclusion.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1335642655' post='1634241']
Any idea what a Sub silo 3 is? Cos they have appeared on Anderton's as well, no idea what it is though...

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid23058/cid671/sterling-by-music-man-sub-silo-3-in-black-with-maple-fretboard.asp#page-1"]http://www.andertons...oard.asp#page-1[/url]
[/quote]

I believe they are the six string versions (guitar, not bass).

Just noticed that PMT have this available on pre-order at the previously quoted new price of £229(white only). Not sure if they would honour this price, but may be worth a punt if you were going to buy one at the new, higher price anyway.
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/index.php/sterling-by-music-man-sub-series-ray-in-white.html

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1335646772' post='1634302']
So Electrically what will the diff be over a standard EBMM?
[/quote]

I don't know the answer to this, but the the Sub 5 looks to have a 2 band pre amp and no selector switch.

My guess is these are constructed from much cheaper materials - the bridge is pretty much a give away sign. Whereas the SBMM Ray 34 and 35 sound very similar to a Musicman (but have cheaper tuning pegs etc), I'm guessing these will not be quite as close - once again the Squire/MIM/MIA analogy probably best sums it up. They are entry level priced basses or thereabouts.

I guess the SBMM regular range will remain the best way to get a cheaper new Stingray - these if you want a back up or are starting out/moving up from or wanting an alternative to a Fender copy :) it will be interesting to see how they compare to an OLP or Vintage.

I've transcribed what Bass Player have printed below.

[i]Since it's birth in 1976, the Music Man StingRay has endured as one of the most iconic electric bass designs. Guitar and bass string pioneer Ernie Ball purchased the Music Man brand in 1984, moving production from the original Fullerton, California facility upstate to its own digs in San Luis Obispo, where it continues to build instruments. In the '90s, Ernie Ball began licensing its Music Man designs for offshore production under various names; since the early '90s, the brand entrusted to maintain Ernie Ball's high standards has been Sterling By Music Man (SBMM).[/i]

[i]When we reviewed the SBMM SB14, Ray 34 and Ray 35 basses in May 209, we praised the way they copped that classic StingRay vibe at a competitive price point ($600-$700). This year, SBMM has raised the bar - and dropped the price - with it's new SUB Series of basses. [/i]

[i]With its 3+1 headstock, vintage tinted maple fingerboard and black on black pickguard configuration, the Ray4 has a classy and classic look. In terms of body and neck dimensions, the Ray4 was nearly indistinguishable from the original - the neck's deep C profile and narrow nut width felt fantastic, and the neck's satin finish upped the bass's vintage feel. Plugged in, the Ray4 convincingly captured that StingRay thing - punchy, aggressive and big bottomed. The 2-band EQ - bass and treble cut/boost with a center indent - wasn't the most exciting preamp I've played, but it was helpful if I wanted a little booty boost or high-end pop. [/i]

[i]The bass did the StingRay thing surprisingly well, but what floored me was the Ray4's price tag of just $260 I've definitely tested basses three times the price that weren't half as fun to play. If you love the look and sound of the famed StingRay players like Louis Johnson, Pino Palladino, Tony Levin, and Flea, here's your chance to pay tribute without having to drop a lot of cash. For its rock bottom price and big bottom sound, the SB series Ray4 earns a Bass Player Editor Award.[/i]

P

Edited by NancyJohnson