Why become a member? ×

Compression pedals - I need advice! :]

nicklathambass

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get myself a compression pedal for a more even sound live..
I'm sure some of you out there use compression pedals and if you have any advice for me, any suggestions of which pedals to look at and possibly end up going for, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks a lot. :]

There are lots of great compression pedals out there and they all have their own characteristics.

Here is a fantastic database of pedal reviews, check out the top picks and the individual reviews to find out more information on each pedal: [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml[/url]

There's quite a few things to take into consideration when choosing a compressor. How much are you willing to spend? Do want something subtle or something really dramatic?

Two big current favourites are the Aguilar TLC and the MXR M87 that are very versatile and not too highly priced. I use an EBS MultiComp and it does everything I want it to.

Most people are gonna chip in with what they use.....so I'll just come out and say that, if you can get one, the Boss CS-2 is great, my fave that I've tried.
It's a classic case of trying a lot and seeing what suits you :)

Si

Here's my tuppence worth: The Carl Martin Classic Opto-Compressor

(here's my opinion based on comparing it to the compressors I had experience with before , copied from an email reply on the same topic a few days ago)

Done 3-4 gigs now with it and I love it - I mean, like with giddy excitement love it. It's got a thick full sound that isn't dull or bloated feeling, and with the attack control it feels like you can let the high end sparkle without any compression taking away from it. I'm no compressor expert or even come close to knowing what I'm doing - but I'll happily say that, for me and the sound/feel I was looking, this pedal works better that everything I've had before - the dbx 163a, an EBS MultiComp, a Barge Concepts RC2 and the Joe Meek MQ3. And to top it off, until you get to near maximum settings, the noise level is non-existent. Seriously couldn't be happier.

On two gigs at the weekend the sound guy thought I had a sub-harmonic generator thingy on because the sound was so big - and he was just getting the signal straight after my volume pedal, so the biggness was purely from the Carl Martin compressor.

Only advice I can give is "try before you buy" & by that, I mean try one with your gigging rig (including any other effects that you use).

I tried a few & the only one I got on ok with was the EHX White Finger (but without any other FX in the chain). I tried a few different ones from my two guitarists & I got too much noise going on from the other pedals for any to be worth adding (I must admit that I had a lack of time to have a proper long play about with them & see if I could set them up better).

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1335385459' post='1630401']
Most people are gonna chip in with what they use.....so I'll just come out and say that, if you can get one, the Boss CS-2 is great, my fave that I've tried.
It's a classic case of trying a lot and seeing what suits you :)

Si
[/quote]

Have to agree with Si here.
I use the T-rex squeezer and I use it purely to bring up the input gain, squeesh high high peaks (usually on the lows) add a great deal of punch and it is supprisingly clear and not squashing of the rest of the range, considering it's only single band. Problem comes to powering it as it needs 12vs.

Still lots out there I want to try out though.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1335469309' post='1631810']

It looks PERFECT save for the digital artifact that many of them seem to suffer from.
[/quote]

I've never experienced it buy heard of a couple of others that have... Though it's a part of the 'stomp' (single band) compressor, which I wouldn't really use anyway. No one ever says anything but good stuff about the 'studio' mode - which is by far the best compressor I've ever had the pleasure of using.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1335469586' post='1631817']
I've never experienced it buy heard of a couple of others that have... Though it's a part of the 'stomp' (single band) compressor, which I wouldn't really use anyway. No one ever says anything but good stuff about the 'studio' mode - which is by far the best compressor I've ever had the pleasure of using.
[/quote]

+plus 1!!
That really is a good comp! you barely hear it working but you get the visualisation that it is on the pedal which is awesome, and Shep throws some serious huge Peaks at it. Self oscillating the moogs to do a pedal solo! that without it would definitly give evryone within a 1/4 mile radius a brain hemorrhage.

I've been through a few different compressors: EHX Black Finger, DBX 160a, Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter and I've finally settled on a Demeter Compulator for the last few years. I've really liked all the compressors I've owned but the reason I've chopped and changed with them is due to the rest of my setup changing a fair bit. For example I really liked the sound of the DBX with my Markbass rig but couldn't stand it with my Orange AD200B.

So my thoughts on compressors echo that of what others are saying. Try them out, if you can run them through your setup that would be very beneficial because that's when you'll really figure out if you like that pedal or not.

Hey man, im using a Boss CS-3 theyre easy to find and dont break the bank, it really boosts your sound and you'll never wanna turn it off once youve turned it on, It also provides great sustain for those long notes. It also makes my other effects sound better too, like my envelope filter and chorus for example.

You can pick it up from pretty much any music shop for around £60.

Hope that helps

J

Thanks for the advice everyone! The kind of thing I'm looking for is just a general compressor that I'd keep on at all times, subtly making the volumes of things quieter/louder where appropriate. I'm not looking for any creative effect from it or whatever. :]

But yeah thanks for the advice! You've all given me a lot to think about.. Gonna get down to my local music shop and try some of them out! (If they have them that is).
:D

Really wanted a TC Electronics Nova Dynamics myself... But it's 12V, and I wanted to stick to a single 9V supply.

Ended up getting the Aguilar TLC, and it's never left me wanting anything else! I use it to keep my output volume level, and I use pretty heavy settings on it, and it doesn't affect my tone in any way. The perfect compressor for me :D

I think any cheap well known brand compressor will do you if you're just looking for something simple so I'd go for whichever one you can get for the least money. If after you've lived with it for a while you find it lacking or wish it had a certain feature then you can trawl through ovnilabs or ask on here for pointers.

Personally if I had to buy another to replace my BYOC I'd look at the Carl Martin Opto-Stomp or a 2nd hand Boss CS-2.