Why become a member? ×

My second Warmoth build - finished...with teething troubles

Twigman

I loved building my Warmoth P-J - passive Charger Green
[url="http://www.warmoth.com/Gallery/GalleryEntry.aspx?id=2917"]http://www.warmoth.c...ry.aspx?id=2917[/url]
but although I love playing it I am not 100% satisfied.
the J pup doesn't seem to add much (other than making the sound thin and tinny when dialled in) and getting a decent mix with the P pup is difficult.

So i am contemplating building another!!

Anyway here's the plan:

Alder P-bass body - as light as Warmoth can make it.
Finished Charger Green again.
Fender 62 RI brown tort guard again.
Gotoh 201 bridge again

Birdseye maple, rosewood board, slim taper 20 fret Jazz neck (again) - was thinking about binding but think I'll not bother due to the price - money better spent on the preamp ;-)
Schaller chrome BML tuners again

Nordstrand NP4 pickup
John East P-Retro with vintage knobs

Any thoughts?
I think this will end up being the bass I really wanted the first one to be!!

Edited by Twigman

I love Warmoth. Great stuff, and I remember watching your build when you were doing it. Saying that, they're not cheap and that spec isn't a million miles from the one you already have. I'm not sure on this, but with a P-J, is the P in a different position to 'normal'?

Who am I to say though....I'd buy a Warmoth for everyday of the week if I could!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1335194886' post='1627016']
that spec isn't a million miles from the one you already have.[/quote]
I know but this new one will only have the P pup and the John East pre.......I think that is what I should've done last time.
I know Warmoth ain't cheap but at least i can recover the import VAT which means the body/neck (finished) inc shipping could get here for around £500
add £150 for hardware, £200 for the pre and £100 for the pup and got another decent bass for under £1000

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1335194886' post='1627016']
I'm not sure on this, but with a P-J, is the P in a different position to 'normal'?
[/quote]
Not on the one I built last time

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1335204786' post='1627274']
So you've got a bass that only sounds good with the P pickup so the next one you're going to buy is only going to have a P pickup?

That's confusing :blink:
[/quote]

Yeah I know it seems confusing.....but since building the P-J I realise I just wanted another P with a little more tone control hence the idea of the JohnEast pre with the Nordstrand P.....

I think I am just planning the bass the first one should've been.

I suppose I could just disconnect the J pup and stick a preamp in and would achieve similar results but there are a couple of other niggles about the way I put the other one together that I want to iron out...

I suppose the first one was like a practice.

I know -more money than sense.

Edit: I am just trying to convince myself that I should do it all again. ;)

Edited by Twigman

So this is going to happen....ordered a few hardware bits and bobs for it today including another genuine fender '62 RI brown tort plate...
Haven't yet ordered the body or neck as am still debating colour schemes albeit the brown tort plate is now a given.
Graffitti Yellow is now looking like a serious option..... I just wish warmoth did a solid pastel orange....
Waiting on a light alder p-bass body hitting the warmoth showcase.

Edited by Twigman

My GAS got the better of me so much cash has now been spent:

P Bass Alder body finished in Graffitti Yellow !!!!
J Bass Birdseye Maple neck with Rosewood board and mother of pearl dot inlays Slim taper contour 20 6150 frets White graphtec TUSQ nut Satin Nitro finish
Expected arrival 4-5 weeks

Already arrived or ordered elsewhere:-
Fender Vintage reverse nickel tuners
Fender 62 4 ply tort plate
Fender Original P bass pickup - ditched the idea of Nordstrand on account that I love the Original pup
Strap buttons, string tree, neck plate, screws and shielding

Still to order:-
John East P retro with vintage knobs.
Strings :)
A bridge - Looking at Babicz full contact - shame they don't do a nickel finish one - I know you used to be able to get a nickel finished Badass2 but cannot find one anywhere...so still umming and aahing over a bridge
Any ideas for nickel bridges that are not BBOT but can get low action?

This is gonna be a nice P - at least I think so....

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1335883566' post='1637502']
A bridge - Looking at Babicz full contact - shame they don't do a nickel finish one - I know you used to be able to get a nickel finished Badass2 but cannot find one anywhere...so still umming and aahing over a bridge
Any ideas for nickel bridges that are not BBOT but can get low action?
[/quote]

Looks like you can get the BadAss II and III in Nickel >> http://www.allparts.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-Bass-Bridges-s/215.htm
Reckon they might have recently come out.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1335884505' post='1637521']
Looks like you can get the BadAss II and III in Nickel >> [url="http://www.allparts.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-Bass-Bridges-s/215.htm"]http://www.allparts....idges-s/215.htm[/url]
Reckon they might have recently come out.

Eude
[/quote]
As everywhere:

[quote]Currently Unavailable [/quote]

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1336477757' post='1646082']
was it not worth fitting a decent preamp to your PJ to revive it?
[/quote]
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1336478059' post='1646087']
Or getting a beefier bridge pickup?
[/quote]

Probably on both counts........

I just enjoyed the process of making the bass and wanted to do it all again.

I am still going to change the bridge pup in the PJ for a humbucker (prob Nordy twin coil) and experiment with the wiring a bit - I read somewhere that putting a cap in series with the pup .
I suspect it'll be out of action a while while I play with it.....and (excuse) now I love playing my Jazz neck I have to have another to play while i sort out the PJ's problems.
I tried playing the JV precision again the other day and wonder how I managed with such a wide neck for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1337606967' post='1662620']
Heck, that came quick. I think there's something really cool about yellow guitars. You don't se them that often. Looks good twigman
[/quote]
Quicker than a custom build - I chose these 2 from Warmoth's showcase and got Warmoth to finish them. They quoted 4-5 weeks - it was despatched on Thursday which was actually 16 days after ordering!!!!!!
It arrived on the 3rd business day after shipping.

Edited by Twigman