Why become a member? ×

Should we play the Pistols God Save the Queen on St Georges day?

PaulWarning

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1335174427' post='1626554']
the song is sh*te, I wouldn't bother.
[/quote]

Bam.

it's just a song, now. I doubt too many people will get hung up on it, at face value. The punk movement, which was the real cause for contention, is long gone.

if it's the should the pistols play GSTQ poll I've just seen it, not quite the same thing but close, the pub we're playing at sometimes lets us use his upstairs room for free to practice and we're back on Friday using the this room with TV Smith, perhaps we should just ask the landlord if we should play it, not very punk rock, huh.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1335175017' post='1626568']
Bam.

it's just a song, now. I doubt too many people will get hung up on it, at face value. The punk movement, which was the real cause for contention, is long gone.
[/quote]
I tend to agree, there's loads of songs where people get entirely the wrong idea about what it's about cause they don't really listen to the lyrics, I'm as guilty as anyone, it was years before I realised This is England was as unpatriotic as it is, and we've been accused of being a racist band on more than one occasion for playing White Riot

Yes, but then that`s because it`s a great song, and should be played every day. I don`t think it has much to do with St George however. Neither do I think many people find it that offensive anymore, in much the same way as Bill Hailey & The Comets are no longer viewed as threatening.

I suppose this thread is slightly different from the other one, in that we're talking about St George's Day rather than a Jubilee gig.

For myself, I would say it would be inadvisable. The older (and I mean 70+ olds) would probably feel a bit confused and miffed. Most under 70 would probably think "Oh look, bunch of hobby-band guys trying to be cool and failing dismally". A small minority of tubby, middle-aged men might simper nostalgically, I suppose

If one [i]really [/i]wants to 'confront' one's audience, there are far more effective songs. And if one doesn't, then why bother? The singer is right and the guitard is (as usually the case with guitards) wrong. Plonker.

I reckon the latter. It`s hey-day of causing offence was over 30 years ago, as the Britain of today is way different to back then. Now I think people like it as it`s a good song, and sounds great when played live. In addition, I don`t think that many people are fussed about song-meanings anymore.