Why become a member? ×

Chris Glen - any other fans out there?

Paul S

I don't see this fellow's name crop up on here very often But, for me, he is almost the perfect rock bass player. I often forget it but every time I see footage of the Sensational Alex Harvey Band I remember all over again what an influence his throbbing, pulsing bassline are to me. Nothing fancy usually, although he can play fast and complicated stuff as his later time with Michael Schenker Group proves. And always has that look in his eyes that it is all a real blast - and he still has that same twinkle in his eye nowdays.

I first saw SAHB at the London Music festival in 1973 at the Alexandra Palace - a heady line topped by Uriah Heep but included Gary Moore and Manfred Mann's Earth Band. I don't think many people had heard of SAHB and their theatrics didn't go down well then but I saw them maybe 4 times in the next couple of years, then a couple of years later as SAHB without Alex (but before he died). Brilliant. Zal Cleminson is also an enduring hero on guitar, always finding a randomly innovative solo to throw out there, like ice cracking.

I stick all this on here because I recently heard this track that I had amaxingly never heard before despite being on an album and released as a single! A cover of a really funny Jerry Reed track called Amos Moses. Typical Glen throbbing bass and Zal Cleminson brilliance. And of course the unique genius that was Alex Harvey.

[media]http://youtu.be/IlrUzAmKO1Y[/media]

Here on the Old Grey Whistle Test playing some pretty damn funky bass on Give My Complements To The Chef

[media]http://youtu.be/oEMf9tqZR9w[/media]

and here playing 'Into The Arena' with MSG
Edit - the board won't let me imbed another, even as a link?

Does anyone else hve a favourite Chris Glen moments or stories? Anyone meet him?

Edited by Paul S

[b]MSG was my first ever gig in 1983. Chris was great, played Hamer Explorer, 'Blitz', basses back then. Great show. [/b]
[b]I bought an old VHS of that 1983 tour live from Hammersmith just yesterday at a car boot.[/b]
[b]Make a grown man cry. Musicians could really play then, perfect chops 100% of the time.[/b]

Gotta say I enjoyed both those Youtube clips i've not heard either of them before. I can remember SAHB being on Whistle Test a couple of times and liking the single Boston Tea Party at the time. I quite liked the SAHB album (without Alex), Fourplay. Also watched Chris Glen with MSG in Derby around 1980......good times!

I never had any musical heroes but Alex Harvey came closest. My first gig in '74 and still (probably) the best - an outrageous show bordering on the frightening. All of the band were of the highest calibre (check out the McKennas too) - pulsatiing is an entirely appropriate term for Glen's style. I saw him a couple of years back with the then incarnation of SAHB (all the original members but fronted by Max Maxwell) - same larger-than-life character and monster tone, though I believe he was in a lot of pain during the gig as a consequence of a fall. Fantastic player and genuine rock'n'roll troooper

Great memories. I remember for one tour I saw them on - think they must have had a little fame by then - they had an enormous 'brick wall' made of polystyrene blacks that Alex kicked his way out of at the start of 'Framed', just before doing the 'greaser' hair do with some beer. Don't know if there is any live footage of that going on anywhere but here is a '74 (God help us, 38years ago - what happened?) clip of 'Framed'. Cleminson's zany brilliance again.
[url="http://youtu.be/YRbfFZnJZYQ"]http://youtu.be/YRbfFZnJZYQ[/url]