Why become a member? ×

Whos going to Marcus Miller Cheltenham...?

bubinga5

I know there are other threads on this but i just wanted to know whos attending... As ive not met that many bass chatters...

it would be great to meet those who are going..! Maybe exchange numbers and have a drink and a chat at the bar...as the only person i will recognise is Mark... or Gafbass but not sure if hes goin?

I really want to go but all the bass players I know can't make it that night. I was considering going with my ex but after letting her down for a Michael Buble gig I'm expecting her to hold this against me..If there are enough BCers going I'll go on my own..

Hurrah..! yeah for sure Gaf... nearer the time, we can all arrange to meet up... Yvonne a friend im going with spotted this teaser on YT.. the rehearsal for this and other spring gigs... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNX4wOj5EeI&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

• 2 weeks later...

Gig was awesome. I would say that the brass players were probably more amazing than Mr Miller. The bass sounded a little "wooly" at times and lacked clarity to my ears. We were in the third row back from the stage so wonder if it sounded better further back?

Met Moira Stuart and Jamie Cullum in the Barclays Bar so all in all a good time.

What did everyone else think?

Gig was awesome. I would say that the brass players were probably more amazing than Mr Miller. The bass sounded a little "wooly" at times and lacked clarity to my ears. We were in the third row back from the stage so wonder if it sounded better further back?

Met Moira Stuart and Jamie Cullum in the Barclays Bar so all in all a good time.

What did everyone else think?

I was right at the back, very similar thoughts. Amazing brass but sometimes too prominent. At times the bass got quite wallowy and hard to hear any definition at the low end, and sometimes coulda come up if I'm honest!
But most of the time it sounded great and much better in the flesh than on YouTube etc. :) great gig, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Agreed that much better to hear it live than on the net but somewhat lacking compared to his studio sound but I think that is to be expected with bass frequencies.

Also could not hear anything of the guitarist until he took a solo!

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1336289847' post='1643478']
I was right at the back, very similar thoughts. Amazing brass but sometimes too prominent. At times the bass got quite wallowy and hard to hear any definition at the low end, and sometimes coulda come up if I'm honest!
But most of the time it sounded great and much better in the flesh than on YouTube etc. :) great gig, thoroughly enjoyed it.
[/quote]

I thought it was great - Marcus played brilliantly - I love the horn players but they are young and were really going for it - Miller still has massive chops but to his credit he didn't over do it - saving the big slap solo for last was a good move. The highlight for me was his fretless work - superb - as for the overall mix, yes it wavered a bit but I don't think I've ever seen a gig where it hadn't - and I thought that MM's tone was great - very clear and cutting through - I think that depended on where you were sitting I was on the left of the back tiers/stalls.

There was an amazing jam later that night as well at Hotel Du Vin with the whole band playing with Marcus just checking it out - amazing sax player Chris Potter sat in too and it went nuts. I had a chat with Marcus and he's very cool, really down to earth and very happy with the new band and album which sounds superb - it really is the best thing he's done in years.

Great gig!

i went ,great 2 see him again,not the best sound,he sounded better at the manchester bass weekend,awsome...best for me me was meeting him ,having my photo taken with him,shaking his hand,hoping some of that talent would transfer 2 me !!!!!!!!!.

Yep the fretless work was great - recorded a clip below for others to hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSoC8kNupn8&feature=youtu.be

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1336314617' post='1643849']
I thought it was great - Marcus played brilliantly - I love the horn players but they are young and were really going for it - Miller still has massive chops but to his credit he didn't over do it - saving the big slap solo for last was a good move. The highlight for me was his fretless work - superb - as for the overall mix, yes it wavered a bit but I don't think I've ever seen a gig where it hadn't - and I thought that MM's tone was great - very clear and cutting through - I think that depended on where you were sitting I was on the left of the back tiers/stalls.

There was an amazing jam later that night as well at Hotel Du Vin with the whole band playing with Marcus just checking it out - amazing sax player Chris Potter sat in too and it went nuts. I had a chat with Marcus and he's very cool, really down to earth and very happy with the new band and album which sounds superb - it really is the best thing he's done in years.

Great gig!
[/quote]

I went and loved it. It was the first time I'd seen MM and would have usually have been the first to have stayed until the bitter end but I was feeling pretty awful and thought it best to get home as soon as ticketed event finished.

Shame I missed the extra special show at the hotel and that I didn't get the chance to meet up with an BC'ers :( - will pay attention to threads like this in future.

Seems that we all had a great time - cheers Marcus and your amazing band x