Why become a member? ×

Which Strings?

Hutton

The subject of string choice has been meandering round my mind so I thought I would commit it to a topic and see what happens. I tend to really like TI flatwounds. I have them on my precisions and have put them on my newly acquired Warwick Corvette Fretless. A Warwick Streamer LX recently came my way with Elixirs on it which I am finding very 'zingy'. Now, is it me just being so used to Flats that makes me want to put them on the Streamer or should I give another type of string a chance? Will a Steamer sound strange with Flats or is it all in the ear of the beholder? I have an EBMM SUB which I think is just fine with Rounds so I'm not a slave to Flats. Mind you, I wonder what the SUB would sound like with Flats. The other thought is with having five basses should I have them all with Flats?

So you see it is a bit of mind rambling here but if anyone wants to join in or tell me I'm a silly bugger please do so.

Edited by Hutton

I'm just 'running in' a new set of TI Jazz Flats & to me they're the tinniest twangiest set of flats I've got, if you haven't got anything deeper & darker & lower down the tone range than TI's, there's a lot you can try. Mind you I'm not a Streamer man, but I would think a set of GHS Precision Flats or LaBellas would be very deep & dirty on it!

I really don't like rounds at all, but I always seem to have them on one bass, (the one I never play) :lol: just so I don't forget :huh:

I like all my basses to sound the same, and with my passive peaveys, the brighter the strings the better! I like to have as much of everything as possible and if I need less, roll down the treble a bit. It's easier to take something that is there away, than to put something there that isn't! So I always use stainless steel strings.

FWIW flats sound beastly on a MM bass. Never heard them of a Warwick but you should try it! I always thought they were a bit 'hot' anyway, maybe some nice flats will tame them ;)

I prefer a rich piano-like tone with a lot of warm low mids. Not fully found it yet, but used to like DR Black Beauties (until I had a run of dead or dying Gs), and switched to Warwick Black Labels. Always 105-45. I just this minute ordered a set of Warwick EMP 100-40. I think I might like the lighter gauge and going back to coated.

[quote name='REDLAWMAN' timestamp='1334782114' post='1621321']
I put a set of TI's on it myself when I first got it, Hutton and they sounded great.

Try playing just off the neck pup, too and eq'ing to taste on the pre-amp'.
[/quote]

That's good to know Ian. I think I'm so used to the TI's, and like them a lot, that I want to see what they're like on the Streamer. I reckon I'm just not used to the Elixirs but am more than happy to give them a chance.

Thanks also for your advice Chrismuzz. I've often heard that Flats sound great on a MM. Mind you as Davo says perhaps I should keep one with rounds.

Have used Elixirs on all my basses for years now (45-105 +130 on the 5's), but have just had the Tanglewater Classic J - which came with a set 38-98's - set up with a set of EB Cobalts (45-105 again) to see what the latest "snakeoil" is all about.

Tonight was the first try out with them and they sounded pretty good. Solid but still with some zing there. I recorded a few noodles to the same backing I did to demo the Classic J with the original strings it came with and may put them up for comparison FWIW.

Depending on how they last, how they fit in in the band situation, and whether I can get them at a sensible price (Stringbusters had them at just over £30 for a set when everywhere else seemed to be £45 - 50+) then I may give them a second shot on the Classic J.

They certainly faired better than a different brand of coated strings that I picked up for a try at LBGS2011 that went on to the Wal and didn't last very long as they were not a patch on the Elixirs.

WOW!!

I just took a chance on new strings and new gauges. Warwick EMPs 100-40 (been playing 105-45 for donkey's years, mostly DR Black Beauties). I put them on the other day, let the bass settle a bit and set it up today.

I have to say, the strings are fantastic! The coating is not even noticable, they feel so like totally normal roundwounds. They also sound wickid, bright and deep. Love the feel of the new gauges too, I'm converted! My bass feels and sounds totally ace!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1334782230' post='1621324']
I'm a big fan of pressure wound Roto's - a nice flats/rounds compromise that really works for me.
[/quote]

I just put a set of those on my USA standard P on Saturday morning - first time I've used anything other than steel or NPS rounds. Got to say I'm quite impressed so far; they'd be no good for my metal band, but I think my acoustic exploits will sound better for their slightly mellower nature. I bought a set of D'Addario Half Rounds on the same order, so will see how they sound next...

I use Rotosound flats on 3 basses and I love them , I am not sure why anyone wants anything else , they stay cleaner for longer great tone, super smooth /faster to play , great feel, win win win ,

ed to add I don't really know much .....only what I know :gas:

Edited by lurksalot