Why become a member? ×

New amp day... back in the bosom of MESA!

wateroftyne

I've been through loads of amps over the years - it's my weakness.

Nothing's ever sounded as good as when I would occasionally pull the head out of my Walkabout Scout and run it through the Bergs. It was always a glorious noise.

I sold the Walkabout Scout a while ago, and I've been looking for that sound ever since.. and now I've found it.

A MESA Walkabout head. :gas:

Gigged it a few times now, and it's everything I remember. It's hard to describe - smooth, solid notes that are 'alive', and jump out the cabs. Love it, love it, love it.

Happy days...

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1334426899' post='1616149']
Is there much noise from the Mesa fan? I ask as I had a Scout some years back and the fan noise used to hack me off,
when running at home, though I have a feeling newer ones are a lot quieter.
[/quote]

You can hear it, but it doesn't bother me, even when I'm plunking away in the house.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1334439570' post='1616325']
Oh at last.... it's been hundreds of years since the last civil war and I was despairing of ever seeing one. :mellow:
[/quote]
Wayne doesn't like old fenders like this since getting bitten by the dingwall bug. It's all wonky frets and checks or NOTHING.

:D

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334692094' post='1619937']
About time you came home dude. Nice one

Chris
[/quote]

'Home' is the right word, Chris. I've just listened to a recording from a gig this weekend, and the tone is absolutely on-the-button - everything I've been looking for over the years. These amps do mids like no other.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334692291' post='1619940']
'Home' is the right word, Chris. I've just listened to a recording from a gig this weekend, and the tone is absolutely on-the-button - everything I've been looking for over the years. These amps do mids like no other.
[/quote]

The semi-para is so well voiced, it's really hard to get a bad tone out of it. For its size and rating it is a phenomenal piece of kit. Good decision, and one that i'm sure will immediately impact on the selling price of used Mesa gear on BC :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334693895' post='1619979']
The semi-para is so well voiced, it's really hard to get a bad tone out of it. For its size and rating it is a phenomenal piece of kit. Good decision, and one that i'm sure will immediately impact on the selling price of used Mesa gear on BC :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I barely ever touch mine if I'm honest, or even the bass, middle and treble knobs that much either. I just set the gain and then away I go!

I'm not even one of those 'everything should be run at 12 o'clock but with the 'all important bump' in the mids' type people. Its just a cool piece of kit with an inherently good sound.

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1334905735' post='1623135']
How does it compare to your old m pulse 600? Is there enough volume with the little walkabout?

.....BTW killer rig WOT! :-)
[/quote]

Thank you!

The Bergs are very sensitive cabs, so I don't feel like I'm running out of steam. Not yet, anyway!

The MPulse was a great head, but it just doesn't have the Walkabout's magic mids....

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334907486' post='1623162']
Thank you!

The Bergs are very sensitive cabs, so I don't feel like I'm running out of steam. Not yet, anyway!

The MPulse was a great head, but it just doesn't have the Walkabout's magic mids....
[/quote]

You're right WoT, the Walkabout does seem to have something tonally that the 600 lacked. Can't help thinking that Mesa overcomplicated the 600, the EQ/para probably provided too many options and didn't make it simple enough to dial in a tone.