Why become a member? ×

lightweight combos

bassmansky

Not sure you'll get a much lighter amp and cab combo that can put out nearly 300watts into its own speakers than the MB..maybe the 12" version but then that isn't as good
IMO and always sounds as if it is struggling when up against a full band.

Casters or a trolley is your better cheaper option if the combo you have works for you soundwise.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1333974820' post='1608937']
IMO and always sounds as if it is struggling when up against a full band.

[/quote]

Is that the 112 that you're referring to? I've never had this with the 2x10 combo.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1333975255' post='1608949']
Is that the 112 that you're referring to? I've never had this with the 2x10 combo.
[/quote]

Have to say that I've used the 102 and 121 and the 102 is way better for me.
For the levels that I have to run, I'd need an ext on either though, but I think
the 121 struggles unless on a quiet gig more than the 102.
In addition to this, I see 121's turn up on stages ( more often than I'd want )
and the guy thinks it is going to be enough..and outfront
the FOH takes over... on stage,, if you have any sort of hitting drummer you are into compromise
volume for tone territory. I've seen many a guy do it and get away with it, but then that also depends
on what they think it is worth getting away with.

This is also the MAJOR reason why I don't tend to be interested in gear share as I've learnt I'd hate to put up with what they seem to put up with,
or more pertinently, it isn't going to work at all for me.
It may also be that they get more level out of the own kit and I wouldn't want to damage their stuff either.

Last few gigs like this inc an Ampeg 600 BA210 type combo, a GK115 thing and my mate's MarKbass 102 which I used a lot when my rig was out of action.
This was the basis on my putting my current two rigs together, so I can cover large stages (100x30) or largish rooms with a small stage.

Have you looked for any 1 x 10" cabs with a view to using 2? I built a pair of BFM Omni 10.5s - at least when it all comes apart into easily handled bits you don't need to compromise on performance.

Still knackered my back on Saturday night though with the PA cabs : - (

I have a Gallien Krueger MB210 combo - 300w and 16kgs. I paid £480 for mine new last summer, and that was the cheapest deal I could find. This amp has buckets of bottom end, is quite warm sounding, but has a "hard" sound to it (as opposed to "harsh"). I love it for all the above reasons but mainly because I can pick it up with one hand. I too was fed up with lugging 4 x 10 cabs around. Not good when you have a knackered back.

hello
looking to replace my combo amp and am looking for something portable but loud enough for medium sized pubs just got an ampeg ba115hp but it just didnt seem to cut it at rehearsal against a loud drummer and 2 guitars and so is gonna go back to the shop.

would the promethean cut it or am i going to left looking for aditional cabs etc? also wondering if its worth the extra money against the similar red sub or the Harley benton, if it is id pay it but also been considering the GK 2x10 lightweight combo although that doesnt have the detachable amp head. Mark bass 2 x 10 looks the buisness but at £950 new its out of my range.
need to move quick so advice and help gratefully recieved
cheers
Bri

Hi Bri,

You're right, the GK MB210 doesn't have a detatchable head, but do you need it to be removable? It's an advantage if you're doing sessions or whatever, so you can keep "your sound", but the MB210 only weighs 16kg in total, which, believe me, is an incredible advantage when it comes to getting your gear in and out of venues. My bass goes over my shoulder (straps, y'see..) case for accessories in one hand, amp in the other! Simples! Gear moved in one hit - definitely good when it's raining...
I haven't tried the Promethean, the MarkBass is out of my price range and the Harley Benton is a little[i] too[/i] cheap (I'm such a snob...) so I can't really comment on those amps, but the GK does what I want it to. I use a passive jazz bass, played fingerstyle it is incredibly warm sounding, played with a pick, it sounds hard, with plenty of attack. The bottom end is tremendous for a 2 x 10, so much so that I intend to buy a stand for it as a lot of the low end goes through the floor. So, to recap - 16kg, 300w, £480. You pay yer money, you makes yer choice. I love it. :D

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1334168402' post='1611993']
Hi Bri,

You're right, the GK MB210 doesn't have a detatchable head, but do you need it to be removable? It's an advantage if you're doing sessions or whatever, so you can keep "your sound", but the MB210 only weighs 16kg in total, which, believe me, is an incredible advantage when it comes to getting your gear in and out of venues. My bass goes over my shoulder (straps, y'see..) case for accessories in one hand, amp in the other! Simples! Gear moved in one hit - definitely good when it's raining...
I haven't tried the Promethean, the MarkBass is out of my price range and the Harley Benton is a little[i] too[/i] cheap (I'm such a snob...) so I can't really comment on those amps, but the GK does what I want it to. I use a passive jazz bass, played fingerstyle it is incredibly warm sounding, played with a pick, it sounds hard, with plenty of attack. The bottom end is tremendous for a 2 x 10, so much so that I intend to buy a stand for it as a lot of the low end goes through the floor. So, to recap - 16kg, 300w, £480. You pay yer money, you makes yer choice. I love it. :D
[/quote]
cheers Grant its definately in the shortlist. im playing a sandberg active bass fingerstyle through a peavey tnt thats about 20yrs old now and was playing up a few weeks ago. its fixed now but ive decided its just too damn heavy. im playing pubs and clubs from small to medium and want the best of both worlds like everyone. small size big sound loads of headroom.
another sugestion in the forum thread 'promethean clone' clone was a redbox very similar to the promethean but i could get a 2 x 10 cab to go with it as well for only a little more than the GK set up. decisions decisions.........
shame about the Ampeg though but it just didnt cut the mustard in rehearsals
Bri

The new Ashdown MiBass combos might be worth waiting for. They seem to be very well designed and the MiBass amp itself is pretty good with some interesting features. http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/04/09/ashdown-introduces-mibass-combo-amps/. I haven't seen any prices yet though.

[quote name='bassman2790' timestamp='1334247945' post='1613247']
Promethean is a great amp but the 1x10 combo doesn't compare to your Klystron 1x15 in terms of proper bass frequency output
[/quote]

I would agree, it's an incredible piece of kit considering the size and price, but it lacks the natural low end you get from a good 12" or a 15" speaker.
With the 1x10" extension cab, I reckon it would meet your needs :)

Eude

i tried the mibass head in pmt the other day.the 220 would not imo be loud enough for most gigs but the 550 definately had enough power.i tried it through an abm 1x15 cab and it sounded ok.so a mibass combo might be the answer whenever they are available as long as they are not overpriced!

[quote name='bassmansky' timestamp='1334425473' post='1616122']
i tried the mibass head in pmt the other day.the 220 would not imo be loud enough for most gigs but the 550 definately had enough power.i tried it through an abm 1x15 cab and it sounded ok.so a mibass combo might be the answer whenever they are available as long as they are not overpriced!
[/quote]

From what I've heard they're going to be very competitively priced.
The only problem I can see is that, at least from the prototypes they've shown so far, the only one that has the 550 head is the 1x15 combo, wish they had popped that in the 1x12 too...

What was the flat tone of the MiBass like by the way? Was it clean and transparent, or fat?...

Eude

wish i could answer that as i had a guitard belting out black night in one ear and a bassist trying out and buying an abm head in the other!i dont think theres much difference in the mibass head to an abm head to be honest.i did prefer it with the bass boost on and the sliders do make a big difference unlike the rotary controls.i did crank it up and the sound kept clean.much better than ashdowns Lg heads.why is it though you cant crank up the input more than 9 o'clock on most ashdowns before it starts clipping?

[quote name='bassmansky' timestamp='1334488268' post='1616712']
wish i could answer that as i had a guitard belting out black night in one ear and a bassist trying out and buying an abm head in the other!i dont think theres much difference in the mibass head to an abm head to be honest.i did prefer it with the bass boost on and the sliders do make a big difference unlike the rotary controls.i did crank it up and the sound kept clean.much better than ashdowns Lg heads.why is it though you cant crank up the input more than 9 o'clock on most ashdowns before it starts clipping?
[/quote]

Thanks anyway dude.
I'm keen to know how these little MiBass's compare to MarkBass LittleMark's.
Hopefully I can get round to trying one myself soon.

Cheers,
Eude

seriously thinking of a mibass 550 (£360 deivered from thomann delivered and with 3yr warranty -about the same price or cheaper as peope are after for SH markbass) with either a 2x10 2x12 or 4x10 possibly the GK mbe 4X10 as a ligtish weight rig that can do the business and come in at budget
anyone used Mibass and markbass and can give an honest opinion?

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1334572347' post='1617669']
seriously thinking of a mibass 550 (£360 deivered from thomann delivered and with 3yr warranty -about the same price or cheaper as peope are after for SH markbass) with either a 2x10 2x12 or 4x10 possibly the GK mbe 4X10 as a ligtish weight rig that can do the business and come in at budget
anyone used Mibass and markbass and can give an honest opinion?
[/quote]

I used to have a MarkBass LittleMark 250 with an Aguilar GS112.
For me, it was the perfect tone, I used to run it completely flat and it sounded awesome, to me anyway!
I know the power was a bit limited, but for what I needed it for it was perfect, the GS112 cabs put out an incredible amount of low end.
I moved to my little Promethean combo due to a change of circumstances/space, but I miss the low end of that set up.

Personally, if I was you, I'd aim for a micro head and 2 1x12s if you can get a good deal on it.
You could then use one cab for rehearsal and quiet practice and whip out both to get the full 4 Ohm welly out of the head.
I can vouch for the MarkBass kit, it's all amazing, every single bit of it, however I've yet to try the MiBass heads, but I am very interested in them.

Probably not much help, but it's my 2p anyway ;)

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1334573197' post='1617707']
I used to have a MarkBass LittleMark 250 with an Aguilar GS112. For me, it was the perfect tone, I used to run it completely flat and it sounded awesome, to me anyway!
[/quote]

I have an LM250 and also run it completely flat (with a fair bit of VLE and VPF of course) and it is indeed the perfect tone. I'm using it with a BFM J12 which needs very few watts to really kick it out. Beautiful low end. :gas:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334573626' post='1617717']
I have an LM250 and also run it completely flat (with a fair bit of VLE and VPF of course) and it is indeed the perfect tone. I'm using it with a BFM J12 which needs very few watts to really kick it out. Beautiful low end. :gas:
[/quote]
[quote name='eude' timestamp='1334573197' post='1617707']
I used to have a MarkBass LittleMark 250 with an Aguilar GS112.
For me, it was the perfect tone, I used to run it completely flat and it sounded awesome, to me anyway!
I know the power was a bit limited, but for what I needed it for it was perfect, the GS112 cabs put out an incredible amount of low end.
I moved to my little Promethean combo due to a change of circumstances/space, but I miss the low end of that set up.

Personally, if I was you, I'd aim for a micro head and 2 1x12s if you can get a good deal on it.
You could then use one cab for rehearsal and quiet practice and whip out both to get the full 4 Ohm welly out of the head.
I can vouch for the MarkBass kit, it's all amazing, every single bit of it, however I've yet to try the MiBass heads, but I am very interested in them.

Probably not much help, but it's my 2p anyway ;)

Eude
[/quote]Bugger! thats me more confused than ever. No seriously thanks for the advice of your experiences. im about to shell out a lot of dough on this and want to be happy with it. Just seems a good price on the mibass inc 3 yr warranty as opposed to SH although ive heard the markbass stuff is pretty reliable.
would you suggest a 2x12 a 4x10 seen a couple in my price range. would have likes the LM3 and Barefaced compact that was up the other day but the cab got snaffled super quick