Why become a member? ×

Modified Stingray with famous former owner £695

Ever wondered what a Ray would sound like with Jazz pups in... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140717439415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140717439415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202[/url]

Ever wondered what a Ray would sound like with Jazz pups in... [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140717439415?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1202"]http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1202[/url]

MB1. B)
NO!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333532337' post='1602872']
and I would have thought fairly easy to convert back with a MM pup
[/quote]

Oddly enough that would probably devalue it. :blink: As it is, it's an oddity... reverted it's a 'ray with an undesirable f*ck-up under the pg.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333532616' post='1602882']
Oddly enough that would probably devalue it. :blink: As it is, it's an oddity... reverted it's a 'ray with an undesirable f*ck-up under the pg.
[/quote]

Not really as you could just as quickly revert back if you had a new pick-guard as no mod needed for the MM pup as it is already routed. Wonder if it still has the MM preamp (not sure if that would work with other pups).

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1333535672' post='1602963']
Not really as you could just as quickly revert back if you had a new pick-guard as no mod needed for the MM pup as it is already routed. Wonder if it still has the MM preamp (not sure if that would work with other pups).
[/quote]

you would have thought there would be a blend knob in there for the jazz, so my guess is not.
Question I have is why wouldn't you just sell your musicman and buy a jazz?

More pics here, if you haven't seen 'em already...

[url="https://plus.google.com/photos/107497175547420996184/albums/5691984851690621473?authkey=CIqT7YbltdGzNg"]https://plus.google....=CIqT7YbltdGzNg[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1333535672' post='1602963']
[/quote]

It's well documented John that a 'ray in not original condish is worth less than one that is. In it's current state it has all the benefits of a J with the looks of a MM. As a 'ray it will always be imperfect with that hole under the pg.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333535868' post='1602971']
[b]you would have thought there would be a blend knob in there for the jazz, so my guess is not.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree. Though I'm thinking vol vol tone?

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333537000' post='1603011']
I agree. Though I'm thinking vol vol tone?
[/quote]thats cos you have more experience making basses than me!
He's also got a warwick fortress advertised on here for £350 which isnae a bad price

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333536872' post='1603006']
It's well documented John that a 'ray in not original condish is worth less than one that is. In it's current state it has all the benefits of a J with the looks of a MM. As a 'ray it will always be imperfect with that hole under the pg.
[/quote]

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant reverting it back to a Ray would devalue it further than it's present price; whereas the damage is done so whether it is a Ray config or a Jazz config makes no difference from here on in.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1333535868' post='1602971']
[/quote]

The original owner who had it modded may well have had a sponsorship (though I can't see EB being impressed at one of his basses being converted to a J*zz), so devaluing the bass etc wouldn't matter. I can see the sense in as much if you have a neck/body combo (as in prefer a Ray over a Jazz) you love the feel of but don't like the pup then the question is 'why not'?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1333538288' post='1603065']
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant reverting it back to a Ray would devalue it further than it's present price; whereas the damage is done so whether it is a Ray config or a Jazz config makes no difference from here on in.
[/quote]

Arr. ;)
Although if it were reverted to a 'ray and we ignore any history I dare say it would be worth less than £700 in the current climate. We saw an "imperfect" 'ray go for somewhere in the 500s recently.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333629366' post='1604516']
Arr. ;)
Although if it were reverted to a 'ray and we ignore any history I dare say it would be worth less than £700 in the current climate. We saw an "imperfect" 'ray go for somewhere in the 500s recently.
[/quote]

I nearly brouight it.
I'm sure it was on sale here for £600, still definitly too much for something that by the looks is impossible to revert back to original.
The single coil jazz pickup in that back position will soud devilishly good though. If it was under 500 then I think I'd have it.