Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

Hamster

MB1. :)

I used to subscribe to the bass guitarist magazine but stopped when it became blatantly obvious i was reading BASSIST with a different cover.I also agree with the fact that reviewers in the bass guitarist magazine seem unwilling to actually slag anything off,i thought the magazine was supposed to be a voice for bassists,but that voice isnt much of a help ,especially to new and younger bassists on a budget , if you consider every bass/cab/amp/effect/ to be great,or is this just the backhander from the advertisers talking?

MB1.

[quote name='MB1' post='21741' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:04 AM']MB1. :)

I used to subscribe to the bass guitarist magazine but stopped when it became blatantly obvious i was reading BASSIST with a different cover.I also agree with the fact that reviewers in the bass guitarist magazine seem unwilling to actually slag anything off,i thought the magazine was supposed to be a voice for bassists,but that voice isnt much of a help ,especially to new and younger bassists on a budget , if you consider every bass/cab/amp/effect/ to be great,or is this just the backhander from the advertisers talking?

MB1.[/quote]

As a reviewer for the mag - and I'm sure Dave Marks and Mike Brooks will back me up here - I've never been put under any pressure to review something in a certain way. We all say what we think, and for the most part the things we review are good stuff and are more than fit for the purpose which they were created for. I'll draw your attention once again to the fact that some products have scored badly in the past! Bear in mind also that even if something is reviewed well, we always say if we think it's overpriced for the market sector, or if better alternatives exist.

I was not a fan of Bassist at all, although I bought it at the time since it was the only UK bass mag around. I think BGM is a far better read - at least there are no cartoon strips and jokes pages in BGM! That's not to knock the people that wrote Bassist, I just think it was targetted differently.

Remember that BGM listens carefully to critiscisms from it's readers, and where appropriate addresses the issues raised.

Stu

On the 'blind comparisons' bit, I suggested the same thing to the then-editor of [i]Bike[/i] magazine some years ago ... tape a load of cardboard around some bikes and see if reviewers could actually tell the difference between 600s from different makers.

They did a slightly different take on that idea a few months later. They used very dissimilar bikes (twins vs fours, etc) and they got ordinary riders to ride them, rather than reviewers. As expected, most people simply didn't have a clue what they were riding.

I'm betting the same would apply to basses.

Incidentally Stuart, thanks for teaching me to play bass. :)

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='21824' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:11 PM']As a reviewer for the mag - and I'm sure Dave Marks and Mike Brooks will back me up here - I've never been put under any pressure to review something in a certain way. We all say what we think, and for the most part the things we review are good stuff and are more than fit for the purpose which they were created for. I'll draw your attention once again to the fact that some products have scored badly in the past! Bear in mind also that even if something is reviewed well, we always say if we think it's overpriced for the market sector, or if better alternatives exist.

I was not a fan of Bassist at all, although I bought it at the time since it was the only UK bass mag around. I think BGM is a far better read - at least there are no cartoon strips and jokes pages in BGM! That's not to knock the people that wrote Bassist, I just think it was targetted differently.

Remember that BGM listens carefully to critiscisms from it's readers, and where appropriate addresses the issues raised.

Stu[/quote]

Well you would say that!,it wouldnt pay to bite the hand that feeds!,i find BGM to be most slow, and indecisive over its reviews ,the interviews on the other hand have always been of a high standard and most informative.i just feel you could be quicker reviewing new product ,and more decisive in your reviewing technique.Stuart if its crap mate,the bass playing public need to know! theres no point attempting to polish the turds!.

MB1.

Not going out of my way to slag anbody,im just trying to explain why i no longer subscribe to BGM.I was trying to raise what i think is a valid point.however it seems that the contributors of the magazine have there hands tied when it comes to equipment reviews.Im sure stuart has not taken offence,that surely was not the way my comments were intended.constructive not destructive!.

MB1.

Well, I like it pretty much as it is, especially now the Warwick fixation has been toned down a bit. The slagging received by that hyper-expensive blue 5 string has probably seen them off! :) And there's a case in point -- there [i]have[/i] been negative reviews in the past, and there will be in the future, you just have to look for it. Don't judge by the stars, just read the lines (and between them, sometimes). There are far better ways to say something's crap than just saying "it's crap"..!

+1 for elom's "Reader's Wives" idea. Bassist had such a thing, and Bass Player still does. I'd like to see one in BGM too. I reckon the members of this august gathering have got enough subject matter to keep it going for the next 10 years! :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='21897' date='Jun 22 2007, 01:50 PM']Well, I like it pretty much as it is, especially now the Warwick fixation has been toned down a bit. The slagging received by that hyper-expensive blue 5 string has probably seen them off! :) And there's a case in point -- there [i]have[/i] been negative reviews in the past, and there will be in the future, you just have to look for it. Don't judge by the stars, just read the lines (and between them, sometimes). There are far better ways to say something's crap than just saying "it's crap"..!

+1 for elom's "Reader's Wives" idea. Bassist had such a thing, and Bass Player still does. I'd like to see one in BGM too. I reckon the members of this august gathering have got enough subject matter to keep it going for the next 10 years! :huh:[/quote]

I believe the 'readers wives' thing is being looked into, so who knows?

Stu

[quote name='alexclaber' post='21947' date='Jun 22 2007, 03:16 PM']BGM is SO much better than Bassist magazine ever was. Much more diverse content and not written as though everyone reading it aspires to be an average pub rocker (not that being a GREAT pub rocker is bad thing by any means).

Alex[/quote]

ooooh sorry! pardon me!
How did that george michael gig at wembley go the other night?

[quote name='MB1' post='22009' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:26 PM']MB1. :)
ooooh sorry! pardon me!
How did that george michael gig at wembley go the other night?[/quote]

Aspiration and current reality are two very different things! (Not that I have ever aspired to play bass for George Michael - me and my own band selling out places like the Brixton Academy is FAR more appealing...)

Anyway, I've often felt that AC/DC are like the ultimate pub rock band and there is nothing average about them - if every bassist had time and feel like Cliff Williams the world would groove a lot harder.

Competent, I like - because in the process of striving for competence you'll find brilliance and originality if it's there. Average, I don't, it's just dull.

Alex

Why do I now have visions of Stuart wearing a blindfold, 'testing' readers' wives and awarding stars?

[shudder].... :wacko:

(seriously though, nice to know that my original suggestions are being considered at BGM Towers)

[quote name='Hamster' post='22208' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:28 PM']He doesn't - it's his aspiration to :huh:[/quote]

Thank you. I do think that's a really nice size and layout for a venue. I shall keep writing songs, playing bass, singing, and doing all the other stuff required to get original music happening, and if I produce anything good enough and have a stroke of luck too, you may see me there! :)

My point which MB1 keeps missing was that I abhor mediocrity and Bassist gave me a funny vibe about that. Yes, we bassists tend to be understated creatures playing an understated role but that doesn't mean we should view ourselves with the same undervalued view the layman does - you won't find a single top producer that doesn't appreciate the value of our role and we should all aspire to be the best we can - and that doesn't mean becoming a virtuoso, it means becoming as true to ourselves as possible.

Alex

[quote name='Alun' post='19253' date='Jun 17 2007, 07:57 PM']From what I've read so far, it looks pretty good. Shame the proof reader missed Steve Lawson's column heading still referring to tapping chord extensions when this month's lesson is about syncopation.[/quote]

...to be fair, that's almost certainly because I sent it in far too late for them to edit it properly... :) Adrian does a great job of sorting out whatever I'm waffling on about each month, but when he gets it from me 10 minutes before it's meant to go to press, there are bound to be mistakes...

must try harder to get my stuff in on time! :huh:

Steve
www.stevelawson.net

[quote name='Steve Lawson' post='22436' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:59 PM']...to be fair, that's almost certainly because I sent it in far too late for them to edit it properly... :) Adrian does a great job of sorting out whatever I'm waffling on about each month, but when he gets it from me 10 minutes before it's meant to go to press, there are bound to be mistakes...

Steve
www.stevelawson.net[/quote]

I can see Steves school report now..... Could do well if he applied himself !! lol

Well Alex heres hoping you make it to the brixton academy,shirley bassey made it to glastonbury so you never can tell.
I find these days,i can find out much of what i need to know from fellow working bassists on basschat so i dont bother subscribing to BGM.As for all the ******* well you know who you are!

MB1.

[quote name='Steve Lawson' post='22436' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:59 PM']...to be fair, that's almost certainly because I sent it in far too late for them to edit it properly... :) Adrian does a great job of sorting out whatever I'm waffling on about each month, but when he gets it from me 10 minutes before it's meant to go to press, there are bound to be mistakes...

Steve
www.stevelawson.net[/quote]

:huh: Fair enough. Bad Steve :huh:

Cheers,
Alun

I generally didn't review sh*t stuff. It takes a lot of time and consideration to write a good review, so if the mag said 'oh we have a budget rig made by Argos - do you want to do a review?', I would just say 'no.'

The bass playing public is the same as every other consumer group - pay more, get better stuff. Pay peanuts... get monkeys. My reviews were aimed at explaning why the rig was good or bad in certain situations and for certain types of player.

A casual hobbyist who never gigs doesn't care if the amp can project over a drum kit. It just needs to make a slightly bassy noise in his bedroom.

I think some people just want to see a good old sh*t slinging fest....

I've never had a handout for a good review.
Hell, I wish - I was lied to with glamourous tales in days gone by of companies saying they 'didn't need it back' etc...

They ALWAYS wanted it back - like double quick.

:)

It's a little hard to put the genie back in the bottle but I thought I might try and clarify what I meant when I suggested that we should see more reviews below 3 stars.

I'm not suggesting that the mag should be full of cheap rubbish (though the budget end does need to be catered for). If we look at the Gibson SG review as an example, I thought it was a good review. I've never played an SG and Stu's review told me a lot about his experience of the instrument. However I thought that on the balance of the review I would have expected to have seen a 2 star rating.

(For those not familiar with BGM, 3 stars = "Average for the market sector: one to try out" and 2 stars = "Better Alternatives Exist")

The final sentence of the review reads [quote]"...it's quite a lot of cash for something which in my opinion is something of a one-trick pony. If you're a fan of the Gibson look, sound and feel it's one to try out, but if you're looking for something more comprehensive better alternatives exist."[/quote]

On its own it's hardly worth a comment but I've thought it before with a few other reviews and felt that collectively it was a valid point to raise. It was certainly not my intention to cast any aspersions on Stuart, who I know to be a fine chap, or any of the other reviewers.

I hope that helps to clarify a couple of things, at least from my perspective.

elom