Why become a member? ×

'78 Precision for £500?

Just saw [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-USA-Precision-Bass-Guitar-1978-Sunburst-Finish-/220984899049?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7442637481739611291"]this[/url]! Looks genuine, is there a reason it's only at £510 with less than a day to go? Cheaper than buying a Roadworn :lol:

[quote name='stinson' timestamp='1333397730' post='1601231']
I guess it will finish £800+
[/quote]
[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1333397747' post='1601232']
The pot codes of 13790-- suggest CTS pots made in 1990!

Will.
[/quote]

That might explain it then! Pot codes and such are lost on me :P
Still, £800 isn't a bad price - still around the same as a new Mex roadworn?

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333399196' post='1601262']
If you have £800 to spend on a bass, you would be better off investing it elsewhere. :D
[/quote]

I wish I had a spare £800 to spend on a bass! It wouldn't be this one though, no :P

Might offer him my Sue Ryder for a swap though? It's all-original and everything :D

This all looks right to me, and the fact that the serial number sticker is still on the back of the guard, matching the one on the headstock would add to that. Pots wise, i think he's quoted the wrong numbers, having said that, the pickups sound right, so even if you had to buy some 78/9 pots, for about £70, then it would be a great bass for someone at that price. My guess is, as has been suggested above, that it will go north of £800. Last of the 70's basses, before they changed the specs on a grand scale. If it go's for less than £600, then someone will be very happy i think...............and it won't be the seller.

By the way, I have no affiliation with this instrument, i don't do modern! :lol:

That decal positioning looks a little skew to me. I also thought fender put the serial number on the neckplate in this era. The shape doesn't convince me either, maybe it's the photos but this guitar doesn't look mmmmmmm authentic. I can't quite put my finger on it, but do you that slightly turned on feeling you get when you see a 70s p bass. Well I'm not getting it when I see this bass. Does that make sense?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1333438825' post='1601552']
A line like "she's quite heavy" when applied to a late 70's P-bass is quite concerning ... that could mean this bass weighs 5Kg or more.
[/quote]

5kg, nothing, my Ric makes a 5kg bass look positively underfed, and I've got a 70's Strat that weighs 4kg and sounds incredible!

[size=5][sub]I was in Angel Music in Denmark Street the other day, saw an unusual Rivoli-type bass with "Not for girls" on the price card. I asked the owner what that was all about, and he told me it weighed 16 lbs (i.e. > 7 Kg).[/sub]

[sub]I tried picking it up - he wasn't exaggerating. The bizarre thing is, this bass was a semi-hollow with f-holes. I can only assume that the sustain block was pure lead.[/sub]

[sub]I used to have an Ibanez 2369B (early 70's Japcrap Precision) which weighed over 5Kg. Played on a strap it did my back in after roughly 30 minutes of playing time. Played sitting down, with the bass resting on my knee, it cut off the circulation to my right leg and I'd get pins & needles.[/sub]

[sub]I sold it to my drummer at the time.[/sub][/size]

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1333479173' post='1602398']
It just sold for £967 !! :o
[/quote]

I'm always surprised when someone posts something along the lines ""62 Precision for £25...." as it's always the same with eBay, the serious bidders come in late in the day. The fact that this bass was £500 yesterday means - and clearly meant - nothing in terms of its final price.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1333483184' post='1602456']

I'm always surprised when someone posts something along the lines ""62 Precision for £25...." as it's always the same with eBay, the serious bidders come in late in the day. The fact that this bass was £500 yesterday means - and clearly meant - nothing in terms of its final price.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more. I immediately think why haven't you bought it you div until I open the link to find there's 9 days left on the auction. It seems pointless. Anyway i suppose reading these wild goosers keeps us off the streets or out of the pub so I can't complain.