Why become a member? ×

How badly have you broken your bass?

Dubs

Had a bowl-backed CL Clarissa Bass for years. In 1986-ish whilst living in France I'd put it down on the sideboard to go and make some coffee, and as I turned round caught the strap. being a bowl-back it just rolled off the side - and I didn't catch it in time! Split the binding along the top, small crack in the top varnish, not nice. Was discussing with the good Doctor OTB last night about getting her fixed up. Action is very high so will be looking to get it lowered considerably at the same time. Maybe new pickup as well..... hmmmm..... new paint job..... hmmmmm ... ££££££££

My two major interests: music and motorcycles.

Living in a shared house with no garage or shed, I'd taken a bike engine out and put it in my bedroom. Also in my bedroom - my Kasuga Les Paul copy (a very nice guitar). Put guitar on, guitar strap slips off, guitar plummets as musical instruments do, and the rigid kickstart of the BSA A10 engine smacks a hole in the pristine sunburst face, between tailpiece and strap peg.

I concealed it for a while with a plectrum holder but eventually finished up filling the hole and refinishing it with a can of Halford's finest gold paint.

[quote name='redzombie' post='178376' date='Apr 16 2008, 10:25 PM']LOL I'd agree but I'm more of a Guinness man myself :huh:[/quote]

ah yes, I am now a Guinness man as well. Gone are the days of adolescent lager drinking down the park...unless it's 30 degrees sunshine and someones got a ball to kick about :)

• 8 months later...

Just found these pics and thought I’d restart the thread :)

The guitarist in my old band (3 bands ago!!) lent this up on his amp after soundcheck and right on cue the thing pummelled to the ground resulting in this:

[attachment=17440:DSC00265.JPG]

Botch job emergency repairs with sh*t glue done this:

[attachment=17441:DSC00268.JPG]

And baz ended up looking like this:

[attachment=17442:DSC00270.JPG]

Anyone else got pics of their broken gear? (or is it just me that breaks things? :huh:)

[quote name='kevbass' post='175835' date='Apr 13 2008, 07:20 PM']I'd really like to see a pic of the repair job if thats cool?[/quote]

Sorry mate, I didn’t see this before. I’ve just taken some pics of it:

[attachment=17443:DSC01824.JPG]
[attachment=17444:DSC01825.JPG]
[attachment=17445:DSC01826.JPG]
[attachment=17446:DSC01827.JPG]

It’s been broken and repaired since the first time it got repaired (due to a complete f***wit at uni) and the 2nd repair job wasn’t as good as the first, but it’s still great and I can’t feel it at all when I’m playing it. Just have to be careful from now on…

I broke the headstock off my fretless while showing off how "strong the custom neck was built". I did this during an audition which caused quite a few laughs with the band. The drummer had a reel of masking tape so I taped the head back on, tensioned up the E and A strings and carried on with the audition. Got the gig too although I think they based their decision on perseverence rather than pure talent!

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='358062' date='Dec 18 2008, 04:33 PM']Just found these pics and thought I’d restart the thread :)

The guitarist in my old band (3 bands ago!!) lent this up on his amp after soundcheck and right on cue the thing pummelled to the ground resulting in this:

[attachment=17440:DSC00265.JPG]

Botch job emergency repairs with sh*t glue done this:

[attachment=17441:DSC00268.JPG]

And baz ended up looking like this:

[attachment=17442:DSC00270.JPG]

Anyone else got pics of their broken gear? (or is it just me that breaks things? :huh:)[/quote]
My epi LP fell over the other day.... I'm feeling quite lucky now after seeing that!

Edited by budget bassist

I used to get shall we say,''carried away'' at rehearsals and used to thump the body
of the red bass to your left quite a bit. :huh: This resulted in me having to get the knobs repaired
(the beautiful clicking sound every time volume /tone was increased /decreased was
replaced with bog standard twist) :) Also one time I left lead in it ,stood on lead and had to wait for
a special jack to be fitted :huh: ! I won't mention the RADIO SIGNALS the active circuitry was picking up since then. :huh:

A long time ago I had an Axe bass - (you used to be able to buy them from the back of Kerrang for £99) - and in a fit of minor insanity used it to beat the cr4p out of both it and my amp.
By the time I had finished the amp had several very big holes in it and the guitar was completely in pieces.
Completely.
I was left holding what remained of the headstock, with 2 or 3 strings attached and with blood pouring down my arm from where the ends of the frets had cut into my hand as I had been swinging the rapidly disintegrating neck with what was left of the guitar body over my head and into the amp.
I managed to take out the amp, the guitar, my hand, several CDs, a door, and part of a wall - (well the plaster), and my Boss multi-pedals.
I tend to put it down to "having a bad day".
I went straight out the very next day and bought my Aria, on arriving back at my lodgings I ran up the stairs with it and promptly smacked the headstock on the ceiling, knocking out a large chunk of veneer and laquer - (or whatever) - from the headstock.
Not to worry though, a permanent black marker pen effected a near invisible touch-up job! :)

I've taken chunks of paint off my first Squire Precision back when I was a kid, and there's also a tiny hole in the headstock where the bass was placed under a dartboard in the old practice room :) My Warwick Thumb seems to ding if you look at it too strong, but they are only superficial. I haven't had the crippling disasters of some people here. I couldn't look at all the photos in the OP as I would have started crying.

I kicked over a Crate combo, also in my youth. and sent the jack plug through the front plate. Luckily the amp had two inputs. Turned out that the socket was the PCB-mounted type and I had to solder on a new one - worked perfectly fine after that.

My Gibson SG special '74 was in its case and fell from waist height to the floor. I didn't think to much to it (well, it WAS in the case after all) but the next time i opened it up.... Headstock crack :) I VERY nearly cried!! The good news is it wasn't too severe and repaired ok.

I must have the world record for ruining a bass though. 10 minutes after getting it home (local ebay sale) I had broken the truss rod, just giving the neck that "final tweak" to get the bow out...

After years of headless bass playing, I managed to knock my newly acquired U.S. Masters off its strap walking through a doorway and catching the headstock. It landed front down onto bare concrete. Good job it was oiled finish, the scuffs hardly show on the body. Could have been SO much worse!!
Funny, I never considered myself clumsy, but might have to modify my opinion after writing this!

Jules

[quote name='budget bassist' post='358129' date='Dec 18 2008, 05:40 PM']My epi LP fell over the other day.... I'm feeling quite lucky now after seeing that![/quote]

One of our guitarists put his Epi LP in its hardcase a couple of weeks ago in one piece and when he opened it up again two days later it was, magically, in two pieces - the headstock had snapped off! Self destruct mechanism comes free apparently.

It's only 6 months old so he's hoping to get a warranty repair. What a pants design those necks are.

i had a rickenbacker 3001...a 1994 model..no bindings

anyway i farted around with the truss rods and managed to get them to turn right along the length of the neck
when i adjusted up for bow the fretboard got pushed off the neck...i didnt realise what i had done and drilled holes in the board and fitted screws to hold it down again
a real dogs breakfast and a waste of a good bass
sold it for a junk price