Why become a member? ×

Bass and amp matches made in heaven??

Jigster

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332677738' post='1591446']
In the rehersal studio we use, I love the sound of a P through an Ashdown ABM and Ampeg 8x10 but sometimes they have an Ampeg SVT and I think it sounds crap. I have tried several different Ampeg heads and they all sound crap when I play through them.

I think I will join Talkbass and see what they think about crap Ampegs :ph34r:

Jez
[/quote]

If its the Berkely stuff your using Jez then thats why it sounds sh*te......I didnt really like that place at all.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1332684008' post='1591548']
your joking?
[/quote]

Nope, no kidding. Give me an Ashdown over an Ampeg any time. Don`t like the sound from any of them that I have played through. As Munk says above it could be the amps in the studio that are guff.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332685557' post='1591581']
Nope, no kidding. Give me an Ashdown over an Ampeg any time. Don`t like the sound from any of them that I have played through. As Munk says above it could be the amps in the studio that are guff.

Jez
[/quote]

First time I tried an Ampeg I was very underwhelmed. But, it was when I saw a bassist using his Precision through one in a local band, and it sounded so right in the mix that I investigated further. Tuns out that sound I didn`t much like on its own was the same as the one he was using, which just fitted with the band so well. So my attitude changed full-circle. Now "that" Precision/Ampeg sound is my fave.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1332686097' post='1591588']
First time I tried an Ampeg I was very underwhelmed. But, it was when I saw a bassist using his Precision through one in a local band, and it sounded so right in the mix that I investigated further. Tuns out that sound I didn`t much like on its own was the same as the one he was using, which just fitted with the band so well. So my attitude changed full-circle. Now "that" Precision/Ampeg sound is my fave.
[/quote]

Again, that's something it took me an age to work out - all that fussing to get the right tone in isolation... and it's often the total opposite of what you need for those nights on stage when you're thinking "f*** me, I sound great!" :lol:

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332685557' post='1591581']

Jez
[/quote]

thanks for clarifying that before i put my foot in it.

cos thats exactly my experience

i had and gigged for about six months, twice weekly, an ampeg svt II pro

and it was ......................... HORRIBLE BEYOND WORDS AND UNRELIABLE

i had it serviced and fully re-valved, and it was .....................STILL, HORRIBLE BEYOND WORDS AND UNRELIABLE

The tone was coarse and aggressive and it always (amazingly seemed under-powered)

Glad to note that I am not alone in de-testing ampegs :)

I had a look on TB and in the US there ain`t a lot of love for Ashdown as they don`t seem to have a large presence over there but they do seem to love their Ampegs. Are they still made in the US or is most of the gear now made in China?

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1332688176' post='1591628']
I had a look on TB and in the US there ain`t a lot of love for Ashdown as they don`t seem to have a large presence over there but they do seem to love their Ampegs. Are they still made in the US or is most of the gear now made in China?

Jez
[/quote]

Vietnam I think.

I could be wrong but I don't think Ashdown is as competitive price-wise as it is over here, so that might be a factor.

Kramer 4001 aluminium neck bass (aka string testing machine), just seems to have immense clarity through anything, is really a p bass on steroids. Seems good with cheapo practice combos, through my Fender super 60 guitar combo and quite a few bass amps. Plays very hi fi is best way to describe. MOTT I find whatever bass I play (mine, other peoples) I sound like me, is same with guitars as well.