Why become a member? ×

Dingwall - anyone not like them?

Sean

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1332576185' post='1590155']
Does anyone have any input on their experience between playing alone in a music store and in a group setting? I'm not looking for hype or praise just honest feedback.
[/quote]

Played my first gig (for the non-rehearsing function band) with the ABZ4 last night - wow. I'd bimbled along with the Fenderbird and ABZ4 in the double gig bag, expecting to just plug in and get on with it, but the ABZ was just so much clearer, more defined (and louder) than the Fenderbird (I normally use my Wizard-equipped P/J with the Fenderbird, or the Wizard-equipped Fortress) that I had to re-evaluate my EQ from the ground up. The best analogy I can think of is pushing at an open door, it sounded very odd at first. I'm now even more glad I've got the presets on the RH450, because I need very different settings from my other basses. On the other hand, the ABZ is so light and comfortable I left it on all night, and my back thanked me for it (right up until I had to help carry the PA to the van at the end of night).

I'm still inclined, incorrigible Luddite that I am, to put a P-Tone (or even two) in there (anyone do a part-ex?) for a more traditional tone, but there's tons in there if/when you need it.

I'm looking forward to taking it to a practice when I can take some time and get properly to grips with it and the amp in a band setting.

Oh, and the opposite happens to what you might think - everyone wants a go, even the drummer... :huh:

Edited by Muzz

I had a John East P Retro installed into my ABZ...... Gives you a much wider tonal range to play with.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1332690170' post='1591654']

I'm still inclined, incorrigible Luddite that I am, to put a P-Tone (or even two) in there (anyone do a part-ex?) for a more traditional tone, but there's tons in there if/when you need it.

[/quote]

I wish I'd had the time to be able to tell whether I liked Dingwalls or not. When I was at the London Bass Guitar Show earlier this month I had about 20 seconds playing a Dingwalls bass before it was taken off me by someone on the stand. I guess he didn't think I looked worthy of playing one of their £5k basses although to give him his due he did take time to explain the "dual density" body and the theory behind the fanned frets. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to test the 'theory'.
As a maker myself I understand the importance of getting your wares out there and exposed to as many potential or future buyers as possible - obviously the 'professionals' showing the Dingwalls basses figured they knew better.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1332701101' post='1591859']
I wish I'd had the time to be able to tell whether I liked Dingwalls or not. When I was at the London Bass Guitar Show earlier this month I had about 20 seconds playing a Dingwalls bass before it was taken off me by someone on the stand. I guess he didn't think I looked worthy of playing one of their £5k basses although to give him his due he did take time to explain the "dual density" body and the theory behind the fanned frets. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to test the 'theory'.
As a maker myself I understand the importance of getting your wares out there and exposed to as many potential or future buyers as possible - obviously the 'professionals' showing the Dingwalls basses figured they knew better.
[/quote]

I very much doubt all the above! Mark Stickely of Bass Direct who is the distributor and was the owner of the stand, is a bloke you'll find hard to replace in terms of friendliness and dedication to promote his stuff. I cannot see neither him or all his good staff nor Sheldon himself who was there demoing his own creations (with the patience of a saint having to repeat to every punter the same concept beyond his work), that anyone were so abrupt with you unless you have come across to them in a way that could have got their back up. But even then I have seen it with my own eyes the way they dealt with the public on the Sunday I was there and I doubt that they could have been so abrupt to a member of the public.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[/quote]

Hi - I am sorry if you did not have a chance to try one of these basses at the show - you are welcome to come to my shop any time and try one in a rather more appropriate situation. As a builder you will appreciate that a show is hardly the best environment to try an instrument and as a stand holder it is difficult to monitor who is a genuinely interested party and who is just coming on the stand for a ride ;-)

Regards

Mark

[/quote]

Henry, I don't remember this, but if it was me (and it probably was) I apologize. I wouldn't have meant anything personal, just a brain fart on my part. Not cool.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1332716143' post='1592156']
To be fair whatever my perception of the basses, Sheldon has always come across as a top man.
[/quote]

Absolutely - nothing but praise for your personal approach, Sheldon. It certainly marks you out amongst your peers.

Hi Sheldon,

What in your view are the downsides, if any, to using fanned frets? Just to balance things from a discussion perspective.. BUt it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same stuff...

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1332749559' post='1592324']
Thanks Wayne. When the time comes that you get a chance to play one, if you like it great, if you don't, no worries, you still have my respect.
[/quote]

[quote name='poptart' timestamp='1332706418' post='1591992']
Hi - I am sorry if you did not have a chance to try one of these basses at the show - you are welcome to come to my shop any time and try one in a rather more appropriate situation. As a builder you will appreciate that a show is hardly the best environment to try an instrument and as a stand holder it is difficult to monitor who is a genuinely interested party and who is just coming on the stand for a ride ;-)

Regards

Mark
[/quote]
[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1332707865' post='1592022']
Henry, I don't remember this, but if it was me (and it probably was) I apologize. I wouldn't have meant anything personal, just a brain fart on my part. Not cool.
[/quote]
Fair enough, I appreciate the issues and the replies.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1332750380' post='1592339']
Hi Sheldon,

What in your view are the downsides, if any, to using fanned frets? Just to balance things from a discussion perspective.. BUt it would be a boring world if everyone liked the same stuff...
[/quote]

People focus too much on the fanned frets and not enough on what is generally an awesome bass ;)

Edited by charic

I'm converted.. Take a look to the left... However the fanned frets are the one consistent element of Sheldons basses, materials and electronics vary widely..
[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332751102' post='1592350']
People focus too much on the fanned frets and not enough on what is generally an awesome bass ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1332617029' post='1590833']
What happens on a parallel fretted bass happens exactly the same on a fanned fretted one, either way you bend a string will always alter the pitch and not lower it.... as long as you keep within the two frets the fact that these are slanted doesn't make a blind bit of difference as opposed to a standard bass or geetar.
[/quote]

Can anyone post a vid to support this please?
To me this just mucks about with the laws of physics. Surely a plucked note bent up (toward the player) or down (towards his feet) on the same fret with a reasonable tangent cannot result in the same pitch. In both instances you are ending on a different speaking length (fretted point) on the string (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) while exherting the exact same increase in tension. The resultant pitch (and pitch shift characteristics) in both cases must be different. I can't get my head around how it can be exactly the same as on a standard bass. :unsure:

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1332422371' post='1588064']
to me at least, the sound capabilities of the Dingwalls made me feel unsatisfied when playing my Ernie Ball basses (Stingray 5 / Big Al 5 / Bongo 5 & 25th Anniv. 5) as they all sounded like indonesian cheap copies in comparison and I am not kidding,
[/quote]
Imagine how i felt when i got home after playing yours and plugged my Squier in :angry:

I think it always goes up, but the amount probably varies (assuming equal displacement)) whether you're up or down bending.. I think this is probably masked because you bend for a note, not an amount of movement if that makes sense? I'll have a go on mine later and see,,,

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332762489' post='1592623']
Can anyone post a vid to support this please?
To me this just mucks about with the laws of physics. Surely a plucked note bent up (toward the player) or down (towards his feet) on the same fret with a reasonable tangent cannot result in the same pitch. In both instances you are ending on a different speaking length (fretted point) on the string (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) while exherting the exact same increase in tension. The resultant pitch (and pitch shift characteristics) in both cases must be different. I can't get my head around how it can be exactly the same as on a standard bass. :unsure:
[/quote]

Have just checked (the note bending thing) and it's noticeably different at the 13th fret, not hugely noticeable but it's there if you look for it.. I assume the effect increases the further you go up the dusty end of the neck as both fret spacing decreases, and fret wonkiness increases..

So another advantage, two bendy modes rather than one :D

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1332763352' post='1592645']
Have just checked (the note bending thing) and it's noticeably different at the 13th fret, not hugely noticeable but it's there if you look for it.. I assume the effect increases the further you go up the dusty end of the neck as both fret spacing decreases, and fret wonkiness increases..

So another advantage, two bendy modes rather than one :D
[/quote]
Cool.
And presumably the further down the neck to where the difference in angle relative to the bridge is more extreme, the same thing would be noticable... only in reverse?