Why become a member? ×

'66 Slab Precision...Anyone seen one/got one?

Rick's Fine '52

Just point out where the steroids were injected...and why it would make any difference. Doesn't matter what JE said, the electronics are stock. On the other hand, he also said the body made no difference. What's left? The cap neck. However, the later batch with rosewood boards were also supposed to sound different, and apart from the body, they were bog-standard Precisions.

As a great man once said, "it's a strong feelings kidney, whichever way you slice it". I'm at work so can't check those clips above, but to my ears there is definitely an extra kick from the slabs - which weirdly was carried over to Frankenstein so I'm starting to believe it is all down to the neck.
I've got Barry Matthew's Slab book and nearly all of the owners (or previous owners) interviewed seem to agree that they had that 'edge' tonally over the standard Precision of the time.
There must be a way of organising some sort of test - same rig, EQ etc, standard Precision up against a Slab. Maybe suggest it to your friend Craig, Slab66?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1402574060' post='2474900']
As a great man once said, "it's a strong feelings kidney, whichever way you slice it". I'm at work so can't check those clips above, but to my ears there is definitely an extra kick from the slabs - which weirdly was carried over to Frankenstein so I'm starting to believe it is all down to the neck.
I've got Barry Matthew's Slab book and nearly all of the owners (or previous owners) interviewed seem to agree that they had that 'edge' tonally over the standard Precision of the time.
There must be a way of organising some sort of test - same rig, EQ etc, standard Precision up against a Slab. Maybe suggest it to your friend Craig, Slab66?
[/quote]
You'd have to get a maple capped normal body of the same year and then a normal slab board of the same year again.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1402577690' post='2474945']
You couldn't get a maple cap at that point normally, only athe standard one-piece as a special option. There were some other maple cap anomalies in the Jazz and Telecaster bass lines a little later.
[/quote]
In that case discount what I said aha!

I've just bought one, after 3 years of harassing the owner!! Playing it today, it is definitely more responsive, and brighter toned than my other P's. I played another one late last year and that was also much brighter. I took pot readings on that one, which I will find, and i'll do the same on this, once I've finished noodling, and dribbling on it!! :gas:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1403190670' post='2480660']
I've just bought one, after 3 years of harassing the owner!! Playing it today, it is definitely more responsive, and brighter toned than my other P's. I played another one late last year and that was also much brighter. I took pot readings on that one, which I will find, and i'll do the same on this, once I've finished noodling, and dribbling on it!! :gas:
[/quote]

That's amazing! Congratulations! [i]Slightly[/i] envious... :D
Can't wait to see pics and decent video (hint hint)!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1403190670' post='2480660']
[/quote]
I need to meet your mates! You always seem to have some of the best basses! Now it's pics or it didn't happen ;)

Enjoy!

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1403204044' post='2480827']
Rick, you lucky boy.
Please bring it to the Herts Bass Bash for the P bass shoot out :)
[/quote]

Wholeheartedly seconded!

Edited by Lozz196

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1403204044' post='2480827']
Rick, you lucky boy.
Please bring it to the Herts Bass Bash for the P bass shoot out :)
[/quote]

Unfortunately I'm unable to make this event, but I'll keep my eye out for other Midlands events, and try and bring along some gear, if I'm able. Shame though, would be a great forum for comparison. Rick.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice find! Love the OTY aged finish. Looks like a second batch edition with black pickguard. I don't know what it is about these basses, but they put a smile on my face every time I see one. I guess that what makes them so, iconic. Leo did an awesome job designing these. I firmly believe they are so much more than simply an un-contoured P Bass. I've got my hands on two of the originals and they both had nearly 50 years of DNA on them; It just added to the charm. Got another one coming in in August for a refinish. He wants it back to 'white blonde'. If i'm granted permission, I'll post the pics. Love it, and above all, play it!!!!

Edited by slab66

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1401200373' post='2461061']
I doubt it, he got exactly what he wanted.

If he wanted a telecaster bass, then he would have asked for a reissue of the original single coil P-Bass from '51-'54, that would have been far easier to have described and requested. In fact, in '66, he probably could have bought one of those for less than the price of a new custom order Precision.
[/quote] Have you talked to Barrie Midford-Millership?? I have! I suggest you read his book!!! This is the only publication worth reading on this matter.

Edited by slab66

[quote name='slab66' timestamp='1405760047' post='2504966']
Have you talked to Barrie Midford-Millership?? I have! I suggest you read his book!!! This is the only publication worth reading on this matter.
[/quote]

Hmmmm, not sure i'd agree with that. I dont share his view, and having spoken to many involved at the time, i dont think many others do either.

theres some interesting stuff in it though, and we all have our opinions i guess.