Why become a member? ×

Going back to a simple old school set up.

thumperbob 2002

Hi All

In recent years I have been using all sorts of basses, amps, strings, effects and so on and so on.....

I play in a soul band with brass etc- doing mainly standards and have gone back to a simple 4 string Jazz- Roadworn and an Ampeg PF500 combo. I just use an Ashdown Sub Pedal for those pesky songs in Eb that need lower than an E- dont like tuning down so a little octaver does it.

I must have spent hours fiddling with my basspod to get "that" sound or tone or whatever you could describe it as and whilst it sounds absolutely fantastic solo, as normal no -one in the audience would notice if I used it or not.

I went back to a four string in the last couple on months, mainly for the look as the bass and how it suits the band, but it is like coming home- really enjoyable to play. Overall the way the bass and amp/ combo looks is so old school it is untrue.

Now I am going back to the way I always use to play, Bass, combo and me. I use a cleartune app on my Iphone which is the only bugbear, waiting for that guitarist to stop playing for a few seconds whilst I tune up!

Taking too much time and energy over tone is a waste of valuable playing time.

I know where you're coming from. Sometimes there are so many different sounds available that it is impossible to sort through them all and as you say, most audiences don't notice.

I did find with my own Bass Pod XT Live that I would end up using just one or two of my own presets and the odd effect but that was it.

Sorry fella, I know where you're coming from, but it all depends on the application doesn't it. One thing I learned quickly is that when you create your patches, you should always tweak the final eq while playing over music. Quite often, my lovely sounds are sh*t when soloed, but fit nicely into the overall mix.

I'll get an amp (for stage monitoring) when I get a rodie :D In the meantime, I stick with my amazingly versatile, highly portable, wonderfully sounding POD X3 LIVE.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1331804498' post='1579000']
Taking too much time and energy over tone is a waste of valuable playing time.[/quote]
[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1331805202' post='1579019']
I have just come to the conclusion that anything other than you and your bass just gets in the way with playing music...[/quote]

Totally agree with you, Bob. I'm in a similar band playing similar music to yours, only I use a P bass. Flatwounds, no EQ, no FX, bit of tube warmth and a 1X12 cab. Then concentrate on getting it right.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1331805623' post='1579028']
...it all depends on the application doesn't it...[/quote]

Of course. YMMV, IMHO, and so on and so forth. :D

Edited by discreet

Different styles and genres don't necessarily need different effects/EQ, amps etc... a lot can be acheived by changing how and whereabouts on the bass you're playing, palm muting, finger-style, pick, etc etc. It's all in the fingers, as they say.

Edited by discreet

I have a bass, a pick, a bit of wire and an amp. That's as complex as my rig is getting.

I used to play guitar in an originals band, and used every effect I could lay my hands on, but over time I started to feel I was more about the effects than the playing. I didn't feel like I sounded like myself anymore, or indeed anyone in particular. I then pared it back and back, and when I switched to bass I pared it back some more.

If I can't get a particular sound or feel from what I'm doing with my hands, then I probably don't need to be doing it anyway. And now I sound like me again, although, as we've said on here already, no-one in the crowd is going to notice what we're doing anyway.

Edited by achknalligewelt

Funny I've been doing this (simple setup - bog standard P-bass, amp, cab) for a while and am now heading the other direction with a fancy 5 string, collection of pedals, etc. I still have the simple setup for when I'd rather do that though. The (somewhat depressing) question is, will anyone in the audience notice the difference? I think we all know the answer to that...

Also for me simple is effective.
All i use live is bass, sansamp for a bit of bass boost / little grit to cut thro & amp job done !!!!
I do have a few effects, but use them to experiment with at home & to help keep practising exciting.

Edited by Bernmeister

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1331806767' post='1579063']
Funny I've been doing this (simple setup - bog standard P-bass, amp, cab) for a while and am now heading the other direction with a fancy 5 string, collection of pedals, etc. I still have the simple setup for when I'd rather do that though. The (somewhat depressing) question is, will anyone in the audience notice the difference? I think we all know the answer to that...
[/quote]

They may notice how good the band sounds, it's a subliminal thing most of the time. They are not interested in your gear or that you boosted 370Hz with a low Q. But they'll notice if you play with a sh*t sound that makes the band sound poor.

I treated myself to a nice big Diago pedal board case in November. It's now got a tuner in it and a Bass Big Muff that I use on one song and lots of empty space. I could live without the BBM by just turning up the Tubetone on the TC classic for that song if I wanted. I realised I was using pedals for the sake of using pedals. No real need for them in the music we play.
The lid is great for displaying CDs and flyers on the merchandise table though.

I tend to Bob's view, too - the RH450 has all the bells and whistles, but I've long ago settled on three settings (two of which I rarely use), and the only control I touch is the master volume, perhaps a bit of EQ if the room is particularly iffy, in fact the best day-to-day extra on the amp is the tuner, which is very handy. I hate the mither of pedals, and don't use them with the originals band, although one (a cheapo Zoom multi-FX) is a necessary evil for the function band (Octaver for Sledgehammer, etc). Same thing with the cab - it's light, compact and very loud, and it does the job well. All my basses are 4s with Hipshot Xtenders, and that's enough range for me.

I take a couple of basses out with the covers/function band, because I'd presumed different genre songs would be better played on a different bass, but the last time out the singer/band leader called the set list changes very quickly without time for changes, and I ended up playing Superstition/Long Train Running/Play That Funky Music/Sledgehammer on the Fenderbird and d'you know what? It worked just fine.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1331806265' post='1579044']
For Eb those guys would have just played up the neck![/quote]

That's what I do. :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1331806338' post='1579050']
Changing hand position won't help me sound right playing Hysteria. Or Deeper Underground etc etc...
[/quote]

I said a [i]lot [/i]can be achieved, not [i]everything[/i]. :P

I have had a similar experience in recent years. When my band folded 7yrs ago the tour rig I was using was surplus to requirement and promptly sold it. I also had 7 basses that were collecting dust, so I cut it down to 3 basses that would get frequent use.

To be honest, I could probably get away with just one bass for everything I do...the Lakland. Most basses I have owned normally have a ownership lifespan of 2-3 yrs...I have owned the Lakland for alsmost 9 yrs. It covers a lot of bases for me. It's quite unassuming, but sounds great, plays great and very versatile. I use it with my soul/funk covers band because I can switch to a P, J or MM tone at a flick of a switch depending which song we are playing. It also has a great passive tone. No need to bring a row of basses to a gig anymore! I hardly touch the low B with the songs we play, but I sometimes creep into that area when the mood takes me. I sometimes use my Warwick Thumb 4 string which is great for all the funk stuff, but I don't find it as flexible as the Lakland. It stays in tune very well and is the best all-round work horse I have ever owned. Weighs a friggin' tonne though! Hence why I am retiring it to studio use only and Jon Shuker is building a lightweight bass for me to use for live performance. Will my bass GAS be finally satisfied? That's my intention.

I am still an amp and cab addict! My excuse for that is that I can match my backline according to the job and venue. No point in taking a wall of cabs along to an intimate acoustic gig in front of 40 people...a standalone 210 won't cut it at an open air gig! So, I have an adequate set up for every environment. I don't ever use the EA amp live, but is an awesome piece of kit to use in the studio and I will never get rid of it.

As for effects...that's an area I have really calmed down. Last year I sold 9 pedals and 3 rack mount multi effects! Some pedals were never taken out their boxes since the day they were bought. Now I just have pedals that do get used and no 'nice to have' stuff. Which leads me to my final thought...

I am starting to get out the 'nice to have' GAS problem I have had ever since I started playing bass. All the kit I have now is getting frequent usage and all the fat has been cut out. If the hat fits, wear it…but I think as time has gone on and my ears and musical demands have been finely tuned. I am very fussy, but I think that has bred a selective attitude. I won’t buy a piece of kit and think “yeah, that might be useful at some point” or for polishing my ego “hey, look at what I got!”. I now buy kit that I can use straight away and use consistently, but above all will do the job it needs to do. Have I finally grown up?? :lol:

Bass - Amp/Combo. Thats what i run at the moment, it sounds good, but it doesn't sound as good as i think it could. I intend to run Bass-Wireless-Tuner-Fuzz-VT Bass-Ibanez TS9B-Octave-Envelope-Amp-Cab when i can afford to, and yes, i know i don't need all that. Not really very old school though, well, it is at the moment.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore