Why become a member? ×

Killing Joke

Cosmo Valdemar

The first time I heard 'Love Like Blood' was during a souncheck in a venue in Germany when the engineer ran it through a huge new PA rig full tilt to give it a workout. The lighting guy was working on the power so the room was in complete darkness. Scared the cr*p out of me! Great band.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1331420280' post='1572764']
The first time I heard 'Love Like Blood' was during a souncheck in a venue in Germany when the engineer ran it through a huge new PA rig full tilt to give it a workout. The lighting guy was working on the power so the room was in complete darkness. Scared the cr*p out of me! Great band.
[/quote]Love that song. I sort of do the bass line under the guitar parts when my lot do "Ready & Willing" Completely different song / band type, but it works and always gives me a little internal smile

Saw them a couple of times during the 'Night Time' era when Paul Raven was with them, once at Exeter, once at the Elephant Fair (Cor that takes me back! Those were the days). Awesome at Exeter, Jaz Coleman in boiler suit with full warpaint , not quite so outdoors at Ele fair, with poncey leather jacket and Kevin Keegan hairstyle. Kind of took the edge away. Great band though, bought 'Laugh? I nearly bought one' a while back. Good to see they've still got it.

[quote name='CyberBass' timestamp='1331455949' post='1572919']
Was a bit gutted they didn't play love like blood in Bristol. They did Requiem, which I love :-)
[/quote]

At the Roundhouse they encored with Requiem and Wardance, then went off, only to come back after about five minutes to play Love Like Blood. Don't know if it was down to the venue or KJ themselves but each time they left the stage the house lights were switched on, causing quite a few people to leave only to have to come charging back in again. Bit daft really. Maybe that's what happened at Bristol?

First saw them at the lyceum in london in 1980 just before first album came out youth was on bass playing a 4001 ricki through a trace rig unbelievable sound made me go and get a ricki (wish i still had it) there first single was i believe wardance followed by a 10 inch single which i have
On it is are you receiving /nervous system/almost red and turn to red it was released on the malicious damage label and is worth a tidy sum as only a few where pressed it was then released on a 12 inch
i prefer there earlier music must off seen them 20 times during the eighties all at the lyceum on a sunday night you used to get three bands for a £5 entrance fee
favourite tracks live Are are you receiving / physic /nervous system /requiem

I was their biggest fan in the 80s, saw them plenty of times, the Hacienda in Manchester stands out as one of the best from memory. I haven't seen them since The Futurama Festival in Leeds in '86, totally lost touch with the new stuff. Any good?

I too saw them at the Leeds Futurama. Excellent live band It was 1983 though not 86. (see pic below. 50 bands for 12 quid!) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RnYhOxz_Zs"]Psyche [/url]was brilliant. one of my all time fave singles. Also [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=6Ok2-ic5iPA&NR=1"]Nervous system[/url]. Great bass guitar!

ps: Rememeber the [i][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYny3WdqqSs&feature=related"]Pleasure & the beast,[/url] [/i]set ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1331478242' post='1573360']
I was their biggest fan in the 80s, saw them plenty of times, the Hacienda in Manchester stands out as one of the best from memory. I haven't seen them since The Futurama Festival in Leeds in '86, totally lost touch with the new stuff. Any good?
[/quote]

Yes.

Was it '83?? blimey, I feel even older. I spilt chips and gravy all over the Poison Girls who weren't impressed. I was so very very drunk....I spent half the day asleep on the floor. I remember The Three Johns, they were maybe my favourite, along with Play Dead and The Death Cult as they were back then.

Action Pact....god yes, with the girl singer, I liked them too, but I don't remember seeing New Model Army???

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1331419640' post='1572757']
I saw them at the Roundhouse on Thursday night. What an inspirational, terrifying, emotional, intense, violent, spiritual, heavy-as-fook band.

That is all.
[/quote]

was there also mate. they put on a good show. sound was a little disappointing though geordie's guitar sounded like mush but the drums sounded great. always good to hear them play Love Like Blood though I believe it's usually played for a fallen friend.

i always remember there drum sound that bass drum with youths bass really punched you in the gut unspeakable is great to hear live our guitarist spent hours working out Geordies guitar playing some weird tunings on the strings he did to get his sound

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1331495414' post='1573798']
I remember The Three Johns, they were maybe my favourite, [/quote]

I loved the Three johns, still do-to my great disgust I missed them when they played in Plymouth. Death of the European, still one of my favourite songs, in fact the whole album was superb. Hugely underrrated IMHO.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1331460126' post='1572975']
At the Roundhouse they encored with Requiem and Wardance, then went off, only to come back after about five minutes to play Love Like Blood. Don't know if it was down to the venue or KJ themselves but each time they left the stage the house lights were switched on, causing quite a few people to leave only to have to come charging back in again. Bit daft really. Maybe that's what happened at Bristol?
[/quote]

That's how encores should be. Earned by both the band and the audience. None of this play two thirds of your set, leave the stage only to re-appear at the first shout of "more" to play all the well-known songs that the audience is expecting. Bauhaus used to the same thing - you needed at least 5 minutes of shouting, stamping and clapping to persuade them to play one more song.

BTW the Are You Receiving/Nervous System/Turn to Red 10" was the first release - Psyche/Wardance was at least 6 months later.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1331495780' post='1573811']
was there also mate. they put on a good show. sound was a little disappointing though geordie's guitar sounded like mush but the drums sounded great. always good to hear them play Love Like Blood though I believe it's usually played for a fallen friend.
[/quote]

It suffered from what seems to be the standard live sound these days - deafening booming sub-bass and very little definition. This actually worked for European Super State but didn't suit there more usual sound. It seemed to sort itself out by about the 4th or 5th song though, the guitar became a lot sharper. It's a shame they played so many new tracks right at the start, I could hardly make them out. The ones they played nearer the end were stunning - Pole Shift was incredible.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331502699' post='1573948']
BTW the Are You Receiving/Nervous System/Turn to Red 10" was the first release - Psyche/Wardance was at least 6 months later.
[/quote]

They brought[i] [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPWQfAv_qBQ"]Follow the leaders[/url][/i] out as a 10inch single in 1981, maybe he's mixing it up with that ?

Oh its all coming back to my addled old brain, even as I type. :D

Come to think of it now, it was my bass playing mate Sven, who first tipped me off to them, after the Turn to Red 10" single came out. I remember them being on The tube and pulling a blinder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcUlVEhF4C4&feature=related

Edited by daz

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331502699' post='1573948']
That's how encores should be. Earned by both the band and the audience. None of this play two thirds of your set, leave the stage only to re-appear at the first shout of "more" to play all the well-known songs that the audience is expecting. Bauhaus used to the same thing - you needed at least 5 minutes of shouting, stamping and clapping to persuade them to play one more song.

[/quote]

I stand corrected you are right just checked the dates another great song was a the b side to requiem single called Change found that today on 12 inch in one off LP cases