Why become a member? ×

A Moment Of Revelation

Hot Tub

[i]“I used to try all different kinds of bass playing, but you’re good at one thing. You find your level and settle into that and you’re happy with that. I used to try and learn slap bass, just to be a more all-round player. You drive yourself nuts, but eventually you stick to what you’re good at.”[/i]
- Geezer Butler

I've "played" bass on and off since I was 16, and it's always been a source of enjoyment and frustration in equal measure. Enjoyment because it can sound really awesome, and frustration because there's so much I can't do. I've never been happy or satisfied with my playing because I always think there's something more; I've always got to push for that something extra which remains elusively just beyond my grasp. Non-satisfaction with one's own abilities is a truly terrible thing. It leads to endless self-doubt, an overwhelming sense of worthlessness, and a constant questioning of "Why can't I do what [[i]insert hero's name here[/i]] can do?" This is something I've struggled with in all aspects of life, be it bass playing, motorcycling, astronomy/astrophysics, mathematics, photography, etc., and it has either caused or been a major contributory factor to several lengthy bouts of serious depression. Suffice to say I'm lucky to still be here.

Then I read the above quote from Geezer Butler in Bass Guitar Magazine, Rock Special, Issue 34, and it was like a light went on. Why try to be like someone else? Why set goals which are never going to be achievable? Why set oneself up for failure and disappointment at every opportunity?

In the context of bass guitar, yes I'm always trying to learn, and I hope that I can continue to learn something every day. But I no longer try to play like someone else. Now I try to play like me. All of a sudden - and I mean that I noticed a big difference in just a couple of days! - my playing is steadier, notes come easier, fills are more relaxed and "obvious", and I can lock it down like a... erm... locked down thing. On top of all that, my confidence is growing; slowly, but it's definitely there. I've never ever played with other musicians, but I can see in the next few months perhaps getting in touch with some local folks and making some noise. Just to see what it feels like.

And all because of Geezer Butler. If it's good enough for him, one of the icons of my musical history, then sure as hell it's good enough for me!

:)

I can relate to a lot of what you say. I suppose it's about striking a balance between pushing yourself so that you don't go stale/get bored and being satisfied with who you are and what you can do well as a bass player. I've tried to learn jazz/slap/tapping etc in the past and always got disenchanted after a few weeks. Partly because I don't actually really like those styles enough to put in the commitment and time and partly because I couldn't ever see myself using them (and realistically haven't got the talent either). At the age of nearly 40 I'm happy playing in a decent function band with guys who are friends and embracing the fact that I'm a pretty solid, meat and potatoes bassist.

Rather than trying to achieve something unrealistic I now try and think of ways of adding something fresh to the songs I play in my band. OK I might have to play Stuck In The Middle for the umpteenth time but I don't have to play it the same way. There's always a slightly different rhythmn or feel I can put in. That way it maintains my interest and the punters/bandmates are happy.

If your basic bass playing skills are all there, then you may find it all comes together when you play in a group. There are a few songs we do that have a certain groove such that when I'm playing a note at the same time as the drummer's kick drum, the sound and [i]feel[/i] is much greater than the sum of the parts - and it's wonderful. Likewise if you're playing in unison with the guitar and the combined sound is so powerful its untrue. And I'm talking about fairly basic songs here, maybe Led Zep or UFO for the groove and maybe the run-down at the end of Sweet Child O Mine for the unison bit. It's moments like those that point out to me why I'm playing bass. :)

In a nutshell that's what I've been doing for years now - for all the various influences I have - when it comes to playing in the moment with various bands etc my 'style' is bascially what comes out of my fingers when I switch my brain 'off' and my ears 'on'.

I add that you should ultimately try to please yourself first and the audience (and others expectations) second - not to be misinterpreted by that I mean - play what makes you happy and let the other stuff come second. If you don't like slapping, tapping, shredding etc - then don't bother with it. there are no rules to this stuff - aside from the odd musical one, like play in time and tune up! I play like I play because I love that style and that's that - if people like it then great - if not - no worries.

Mike

[quote name='Astronomer' post='173724' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:17 AM'][i]“I used to try all different kinds of bass playing, but you’re good at one thing. You find your level and settle into that and you’re happy with that. I used to try and learn slap bass, just to be a more all-round player. You drive yourself nuts, but eventually you stick to what you’re good at.”[/i]
- Geezer Butler

I've "played" bass on and off since I was 16, and it's always been a source of enjoyment and frustration in equal measure. Enjoyment because it can sound really awesome, and frustration because there's so much I can't do. I've never been happy or satisfied with my playing because I always think there's something more; I've always got to push for that something extra which remains elusively just beyond my grasp. Non-satisfaction with one's own abilities is a truly terrible thing. It leads to endless self-doubt, an overwhelming sense of worthlessness, and a constant questioning of "Why can't I do what [[i]insert hero's name here[/i]] can do?" This is something I've struggled with in all aspects of life, be it bass playing, motorcycling, astronomy/astrophysics, mathematics, photography, etc., and it has either caused or been a major contributory factor to several lengthy bouts of serious depression. Suffice to say I'm lucky to still be here.

Then I read the above quote from Geezer Butler in Bass Guitar Magazine, Rock Special, Issue 34, and it was like a light went on. Why try to be like someone else? Why set goals which are never going to be achievable? Why set oneself up for failure and disappointment at every opportunity?

In the context of bass guitar, yes I'm always trying to learn, and I hope that I can continue to learn something every day. But I no longer try to play like someone else. Now I try to play like me. All of a sudden - and I mean that I noticed a big difference in just a couple of days! - my playing is steadier, notes come easier, fills are more relaxed and "obvious", and I can lock it down like a... erm... locked down thing. On top of all that, my confidence is growing; slowly, but it's definitely there. I've never ever played with other musicians, but I can see in the next few months perhaps getting in touch with some local folks and making some noise. Just to see what it feels like.

And all because of Geezer Butler. If it's good enough for him, one of the icons of my musical history, then sure as hell it's good enough for me!

:)[/quote]

One of the nest posts i've read on here....... Good on you mate !

I think that's something that everyone goes through, regardless of how skilled you are. And it's good to know that other people feel the same way, because it's always something that you really do have to find out for yourself.

There are things that I still do which have been nicked from other people's playing, but there's also a lot that I do which is comfortable to me, because I decided to do it that way with no outside input. I think that a balance of both is needed to enjoy everything to it's full potential. There's nothing like trying to master a technique that you've seen your hero play and finally pulling it off for yourself. It's just something that you should never get hung up on if you can't manage it.

I mean, look at other industries, comedians for example have been stealing each others' jokes for years!

[quote name='Astronomer' post='173724' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:17 AM'][i]“I used to try all different kinds of bass playing, but you’re good at one thing. You find your level and settle into that and you’re happy with that. I used to try and learn slap bass, just to be a more all-round player. You drive yourself nuts, but eventually you stick to what you’re good at.”[/i]
- Geezer Butler

:)[/quote]

Very honest post.. must have taken a bit of courage to do that!

Not sure who said it but isn't the famous quotation: "know thyself" which pretty much sums it up and ties in with what you're saying...

Thanks for all the replies! :) I just thought I'd share my experience in case it might strike a chord (bad pun!) with anyone else. Also, from a more selfish point of view, it's good to see that I'm not the only one.

TBH, it took a while to post. But Basschat seems like a really friendly virtual place, and I bumped into a few of you at the Bash. The camaraderie and mutual respect, irrespective of ability, took me somewhat by surprise - but in a very positive way. Hence I finally felt comfortable in posting this.

:huh:

It's all about cognitive dissonance isn't it? That's how we learn. We're used to experiencing it a lot as kids but much more rarely when we're older. When we reach a certain age, we just don't want to have to go through that painful process anymore and just enjoy knowing what we know and doing what we do - ie. enjoy the fruits of all those years shut away in a bedroom, trying to figure out how to do whatever it is you wanted to do.

Edited by The Funk