Why become a member? ×

What should I get?

LemonCello

Right, now that I'm playing through a 'clean' Amp rather than my Yamaha which had many presets I'm thinking of adding something extra to my sound. Problem is, I have no idea where to start, Big Muff, Cheese Grater Distortion. Diddly Squiddly Overdrive?????

The sort of stuff we do is Black Crows, Strokes, Cream, Free, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Oasis, Undertones, The Who, Stereos, REM, Jet, Chillies etc.

Any advice, opinions would be gratefully received!

LC

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1330886985' post='1564402']
Sounds like you want a bit of growl to your sound. I'd recommend the SFX Red Dragon or the DHA VT1, both very nice sounding low gain overdrives.
[/quote]

Cheers Gareth, I'll check them out.

You'll start with an overdrive and/or distortion (I like the Pigtronix Polysaturator and the Emma Electronic
ReezaFRATzitz),and before you know it you'll be looking at Envelope Filters,Octavers,Chorus,Delay,
Flanger,etc :P

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330892840' post='1564540']
You'll start with an overdrive and/or distortion (I like the Pigtronix Polysaturator and the Emma Electronic
ReezaFRATzitz),and before you know it you'll be looking at Envelope Filters,Octavers,Chorus,Delay,
Flanger,etc :P
[/quote]

Thanks Doddy, I just love the names of these things!

If you're new to FX, then I always recommend getting a 1/2 decent multi fx unit. That way you get to find out what does what & get an idea of what you want, though if you're buying individual pedals 2nd hand on here & don't like something, then you can move it on with little to no loss.

Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B.
It's the only real overdrive I've found, everything else is mostly
just blendable distortion or fuzz. It's basically a boost with a germanium circuit that
drives your amp as well as giving some drive of its own. Very awesome pedal.

That about covers every aggressive tone you'll ever want, but for anything with fuzz I suggest
the Iron Ether Oxide and for distortion the EBS Multidrive.

A word of advice: Boss makes good flangers and choruses, but not dirt pedals. Trust me on this one.

Anything with dirt and a 'blend control' would be a good place to start. If you're after the 'classic rock' overdrive sound then the mids are your friend. The JLoMenzo does that really well, and you should be able to coax a good sound out of the Boss ODB3. I've just acquired a Tech 21 XXL Bass edition, and it's perfect classic overdrive sounds. I've also got a Russian Muff too, but that's all about the bass and treble - as it'll pretty much scoop out the mids for you.
Welcome to the start of your journey; it's long and expensive...and fun. :)

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1330975394' post='1565715']
That's one pedal I've always heard good things about but never really considered. I'll keep it in mind along the the Ashdown which seems to get good comments on here.
[/quote]

I'm getting a BK3 in the next couple weeks so my Ashdown may end up coming off my board soon depending on whether I add to it or just replace it with it, but if it does you're welcome to borrow it for a bit as you're local.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1330902120' post='1564712']
Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B.
It's the only real overdrive I've found, everything else is mostly
just blendable distortion or fuzz. It's basically a boost with a germanium circuit that
drives your amp as well as giving some drive of its own. Very awesome pedal.

[/quote]

+1 to that, also the Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B with the blend control is definitely worth looking at. :)

Out of the pedals I`ve had that add a little bit of grit/grunt to the sound, the ones I`d recommend would be: DHA VT1, MXR M80, Behringer BDI21 (a virtual Sansamp clone, at a fifth of the price).

Edited by Lozz196