Why become a member? ×

Just ordered a Blacktop P.....Disaster!!!!

LemonCello

Not traditional I know, but I'm very curious as to the difference the pup's make in this. It'll arrive in time for band practice tomorrow night so I'll let you know!

LC

Update*** Bass arrived 8.30 this morning, got it out of the box, looked good, quite like the sparkle finish. Beautiful neck, frets looked good. So, peeled of the pickguard film, fitted some strap locks, plugged it in and.......

......Effing bridge pick up is DEAD!!!

I've just taken it to a local shop where this was confirmed. Phoned Sounds Live who said they will replace it after they have this one back. Got to take it to work on Monday boxed up again, strap locks off again - aggravation!!!

Bollox thrice, that's stuffed up my day, so much for Fender QC!

LC

Edited by LemonCello

[size=2]*Post-disaster update post*[/size]

Bridge pickups are for pussies anyway :lol:

What a disappointment! Well, at least it's being replaced without argument. It would have been worse if it had turned up damaged and no-one wanted to take responsibility.
Soon, you will have your fully-functioning beauty.

Cheers Guys. She's all boxed up again and ready to go. Sounds Live have been good about it and no-one could have known about the dead pup (except for Fender that is). I'm looking forward to the replacement. The one that's going back looked to be pretty well put together with the exception of a couple of niggles like a small dint on the E side of the neck and there being a bigger gap than I'd have expected around the bridge pup. The slot for the pup wasn't exactly rectangular either, you could see the first 'bite' of the router (if you see what I mean). The sparkly finish is quite nice, paint looks good. It is more of a champagne colour than white however.

The replacement is an ex display since they only had two of them. I'm assured it's as new and unmarked. I'll let you know!

LC

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1330969241' post='1565568']
Didnt the shop give it the "once over" before they shipped it to you, I bet they will with the next one?
[/quote]
Sounds Live has a warehouse away from the shop which houses the new stock. If you order something new (as in not ex-display) it will come from the warehouse and so the staff in the shop won't have even seen it. It should really have been picked up at the QC stage after manufacture.

Nick at Sounds Live has been very good about it I have to say. Replacement on its way.

LC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1335860159' post='1636917']
It's gone quite ! Maybe this one was so good he can't put it down to write about it ! ;)
[/quote]

Either that, or Avid Merion has him in the cupboard with the Craig from Big Brother. Mmm... tuna.

Right boys, I'm back! Been very busy with work and the band so haven't been on here much. After having the Blacktop for several weeks now and plenty of rehearsal time I can definately recommend it. It looks like a P, feels like a P but with much more versatile pick ups. My band mates reckon it cuts through much more than either my old US P or Squier (and the Squier is a good 'un!). The tone knob on my old US didn't seem to do a lot, but the Blacktop can be wound up to give you a much wider range. Similarly, the separate bridge and neck pup volumes can be blended to achieve jazz or Precision tones and much in between. The build quality is pretty reasonable with the paint job and neck being the best bits. I'm very pleased with it and with Sounds Live in exchanging the knackered one. For a £500 bass, its def worth a punt! I'd be interested to compare with a modern player.

LC

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1335863938' post='1636989']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/109147-oh-yes/page__view__findpost__p__1010023"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1010023[/url]
[/quote]

Well that will teach me to make such rash statements! Feel a bit stupid now. It seems Liberace is always lurking somewhere, even in death.