Why become a member? ×

Sound proofing a cellar

njr911

I currently have a unused cellar room and am thinking of converting it into a rehersal room.

It's currently got brick walls and a rubble floor.

Whats the best way to soundproof this ?

Concrete the floor ?

Doesn't need to be totally soundproof just dead enough to have drums in there (electric kit maybe) without getting an asbo or stabbed by the neighbors.

Plenty of good info about this sort of thing, including my own:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/149816-creating-my-own-rehearsal-space/page__hl__rehearsal%20space"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/149816-creating-my-own-rehearsal-space/page__hl__rehearsal%20space[/url]

I suspect that concrete is not your friend. Very good at carrying vibration, very good at transmitting vibration into your brick walls.

If I were you, I'd think in terms of laying down some sand to get a smooth, level surface, covering that with a damp-proofing membrane, and then laying 18mm plywood over the whole thing to create a fully-floating floor. Then you can build stud walls onto that floating floor.

You'll probably gather that I am neither a builder nor an architect, but I suspect you get the general idea.

Ventilation is likely to be your biggest problem.

Concreting the floor won't stop the noise going upwards and outwards. But it will help with the damp.

If you want to do it properly, here's the deal in brief:
[list=1]
[*]Tank your cellar to keep the damp out
[*]Build a 'room within a room'
[*]Seal off all possible means of noise escape - e.g. neoprene seals round a very solid door
[*]Ventilation is optional but preferable
[/list]
Various studio build threads here on BC - use advanced search :)

Cheers, the cellar is actually big and split into 4 rooms (old victorian townhouse) back two rooms have been converted for the wifes floristry workshop. front hasn't been touched yet.

It has full height celings and a fullsize staircase down so access if no problem.

Interesting suggestiions though, going to look into this.

Sound proofing requires mass and isolation.

Concrete will provide mass, in abundance, but if its touching the walls it will still transmit vibration.

Seperate concrete floor, room within a room, all standard fair for control room /live room type of thing.

Checkout the Gearslutz [url="http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/"]forum on studio builds for more info[/url]

When I had a damp proofing/cellar conversion business some years back, I was using a system pioneered by a company called Platon, (think that's the right name although it was a while back now), also a company called Newton or Newlath maybe.

Anyway, essentially it's a waterproof membrane that is laid across the floor slab and fixed to the walls. It will easily cope with rising/penetrating damp.
Once this is in place you can used batons and plasterboard or insulation board or whatever. As long as you use the waterproof fixing points and do not puncture the sheeting.
Ideally if you have the space the dry lined walls can be set away from the external walls and wedged/fixed in place.
Flooring can be t&g chipboard or ply.

If there is running water or the risk of flooding, then you must allow for a pump to be installed within the floor prior to installing the membrane.

I'm at risk of waffling here, so I'll stop.

Pm me if you want, I'm happy to offer any advise that I can.

I would still go with concrete floor but don't go right up to the edges. Leave about 4-5" around the cellar walls and pack it with high density foam before building a floor over the whole lot. Should stop the vibrations through the floor spilling up the walls too much I think?

Truckstop