Why become a member? ×

Thinking of ditching 5 strings and going back to 4?

martfitz

A few months ago I posted on here asking if anyone had strung their 5 strings E to C instead of B to G.

I was given lots of really useful advice, as per the usual on here.

Well after having two failed attempts at playing 5 string before I decided to give it a final go but with the E to C tuning.

Why I didn't do this before God only knows, (he says through gritted teeth after selling a lovely Stingray 5 a few years ago for £800, birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, piezzo bridge, the works - not that I'm bitter!).

For me personally I've found it a revelation and although I'm a pretty average bassist it has inspired me and made me push myself again in terms of practicing and playing, (oh to be 18 again).

I never struggled with 5 strings before because of my small hands, more of not really having much use for the low B, so it just ended up as an elaborate thumb rest.

If there's anyone out there who is thinking of ditching their 5 string and going back to 4 then I'd seriously give this a go first, a few tweaks to the saddles and a minor truss rod adjustment and I was sorted, I'm now happier than a pig in @#&%

I'm in that position but for different reasons. My main desire to get a five in the first place was to play more low notes. In rehearsals I thought it sounded great! Loads of profound bottom end that really shored up the sound of the band...

Then we recorded a live rehearsal. I listened back and the sound was totally not what I expected. The bass sounded OK in isolation, but it just didn't sit right within the band mix. The best way I can describe it is that there was too much "distance" between the two guitars and the bass! I know we always talk about everyone fitting into their own sonic "pocket" or frequency range, but mine just seemed to far away from the rest of the band. This band anyway.

We re-recorded the stuff with me playing the bass parts an octave higher on a J bass. Result!! It just worked.

I know that every band is different, and that in some cases the separation between guitars and bass can really sound good, but I am trusting my ears and ditching the five string. Should I try re-stringing it E - C? Not sure there is any point for me as I don't tend to play many high notes anyway. Truth be told, I am much happier to be back "home" on four strings!

At the moment, I'd probably never buy another 4.
50% of what I'd play at home has content lower than "E", and if there's something higher in pitch than B(2?) then you could always play that line down an octave if you wanted.
I do like E-C tuning, also (hence my owning a 6 - Best of both worlds except for weight, cost and re-stringing costs)

If a 5 string bass is confusing then you're not practising enough.

Most drummers have an array of drums and cymbals that they might only use occasionally. A piano player doesn't use all the notes in every number. Same with 5 string basses. In some bands I hardly use the B string but in others I use it all the time, even if I only go down to E!

I don't chop and change between 4's and 5's. Now that really IS confusing because I don't practise enough either.

I have noticed one or two 'name players', who played standard 5 (BEADG).
Looking at their current gear, they have more than one bass.
So , one is EADG,the other is BEAD etc. This means that they only need
the alternate tuning for a couple of songs in their set.

Not a bad thing , if you feel overwhelmed by the extra string.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1330259452' post='1554683']
I have noticed one or two 'name players', who played standard 5 (BEADG).
Looking at their current gear, they have more than one bass.
So , one is EADG,the other is BEAD etc. This means that they only need
the alternate tuning for a couple of songs in their set.

Not a bad thing , if you feel overwhelmed by the extra string.
[/quote]

It's a pain in the arse to keep changing basses though,especially if you don't have much
time between numbers.
I've got a bunch of 4 strings,but have used a 5 on every gig for the last few years.I could
comfortably play most of them on a 4,but I prefer the 5 for various reasons.

I have only just got a 5er, and I have found it to be little use in the main band. The other band, in which all bar me are electro-acoustic, seems to have the right kind of spaces for the occasional foray below E0. But only now and then. So, the Precisions still rule! But the 5er stays .