Why become a member? ×

Bruno Mars bassist

leftyhook

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1329948935' post='1550379']
Jamereo Artis

Regardless of whether you like his style of music or not, to say it's dross is just your opinion, many will have a different one ;)

Sound is dire but the guy isn't just a pretty face.

[media]http://youtu.be/Oqz0-IA8EAo[/media]

Peter
[/quote]
that 2nd vid pretty much shows this guy is well capable of doing everything he did on the Brits LIVE if required to do so.
Watch his face on this vid. barely bats an eyelid through some real slick licks. A total natural. Give it up for da man!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1329953681' post='1550507']
Very Jamerson from 'What's going on'. Which is the highest praise you can give any bass player in my opinion. If he was playing live then he deserves a round of applause because he was flawless and had great feel.
[/quote]
:lol:

I was really impressed when I saw this on TV. I was enjoying noodling along (70s style strat through a clean valve amp, blended really well) and I'm ashamed to say the though they may be miming did enter my head (as his left hand movements were very conservative) but then I reminded myself that good players tend to make little fuss when playing complex parts.

I also really enjoyed the dancing. It made me think that if I ever get round to putting another band together I want us in suits, and with dancing!

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1329954579' post='1550526']
That performance blew me away, from a technical level for the bass and arrangement level on everything else. It was just beautifully done!
[/quote]

Me too. Superb playing, and in the context of the song too. And groovy as f*ck!
Whole band were playing IMO - no way to end with a big rall like that and get it right!

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1329954579' post='1550526']
That performance blew me away, from a technical level for the bass and arrangement level on everything else. It was just beautifully done!
[/quote]

Me too. It was so slick! Such creative playing, beautifully done. Dancing and playing like that on live TV. Inspiring stuff.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1330027137' post='1551761']
It was really great bass playing, looked live to me. Impressive stuff, very enjoyable to watch and listen to even if it isn't totally my thing.
[/quote]

+1. Bruno Mars isn't my thing at all but that performance, the soul/disco style etc. really appealed to me. It probably takes some balls to be able to get away with a completely restyled version of one of your most popular tracks at an event like the Brits, which is ALL about industry fat cats back-slapping each other and stimulating record sales post-Christmas. The casual listener/general public who saw him and thought he was sh*te the other night might be put off buying his record. Conversely, people who loved that particular performance might be in for a shock when they do pick up a copy of his album. I doubt Joe Public would have been paying much attention to the bass, anyhow!