Why become a member? ×

best amp for markbass traveler cabs

leroydiamond

If a new amp is what is wanted, for aggressive rock tones, check out Gallien Krueger. I`ve been very impressed with the MB500, and from what I`ve read, the MB Fusion is also very well thought of.

I do agree with the others though, putting a pedal such as Sansamp/MXR M-80 etc in front should bring in that rock-grit quite easily. And be a more economical way of doing it. Plus, then, should there be any unexpected amp failures, you have a quality DI for going through the PA as well.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' timestamp='1329687622' post='1546049']
Try to audition a Tech21 VT Bass pedal, It will give you a whole new palette of rock tones and works a treat with LM heads.
[/quote]

I found just adding a BDDI made a big difference. The VT Bass will take it to another level. I had one but found it was a bit too much for what i needed but the BDDI adds just enough, with more on tap.
These pedals seem to work well with MB heads.

I would agree that some form of pre will get you there. I use a BDI-21 which is versatile - and very affordable!
Wouldn't agree re turning off the VLE and VPF filters though - they are your friends! :)

What I do is have the entire EQ set flat (12 o'clock) and get whatever tone I want using a combination of the BDI and the VLE and VPF filters. To get more mids, simply reduce Bass and Treble on the BDI and less it with the VPF a bit... YMMV, of course. And IMHO, IIRC, AFAIK, and so on and so forth. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329751936' post='1546746']
While i also have mine set up like yours i do think that if the VPF is used (much) it will cut the mids and so wont help in getting the tone the OP is asking about. Then again my cab is so middy ive never noticed a lack of them no matter what setting i use.
[/quote]

Also, I only ever play with a pick, which of course introduces another set of variables. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329752651' post='1546766']
Me too. As much as i'd love to play finger style i just cant manage it...
[/quote]

Pah! I like the attack, the definition and the control, especially combined with palm muting. And there is a rich heritage of talented pick players... Paul McCartney, Carol Kaye, Joe Osborn, John Paul Jones, Chris Squire, Sting, Rick Danko, Bill Wyman, Jack Bruce, Roger Waters, John Deacon... the list goes on! Be proud! :D

Having said that, I will play finger style if it suits the song. Don't like it, though. <_<

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329753165' post='1546780']
Pah! I like the attack, the definition and the control, especially combined with palm muting. And there is a rich heritage of talented pick players... Paul McCartney, Carol Kaye, Joe Osborn, John Paul Jones, Chris Squire, Sting, Rick Danko, Bill Wyman, Jack Bruce, Roger Waters, John Deacon... the list goes on! Be proud! :D

Having said that, I will play finger style if it suits the song. Don't like it, though. <_<
[/quote]

Oh, i am proud, i just find some songs would suit finger style better. Funny but i can play Rio finger style fine, but not all shook up :huh:

I do like the filters though, and i think these are why ive stuck with MB for the past 7 years, excluding a few moments of madness.

I have considered replacing the little mark 11 with an aguilar tonehammer 500 And using the little mark as a backup. Reviews of the aguilar suggest that it has a pretty aggressive tone. Any thoughts of this proposal?. Would it be a good match for the traveler cabs?

P.S.
i use fingerstyle but find it doesn't work when covering bands like Thin Lizzy etc. You just cannot emulate the attack of the pick with fingerstyle. Interestingly i find it very challenging to play pick style and fatigue very quickly

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1329830626' post='1548007']
...avoid the being caught out at a gig if my little mark were to go down and not having a backup, :unsure:
[/quote]

I have my BDI pre connected to my amp for monitoring, but also to the desk via the DI out.
Then if my LM goes tits-up, I can still easily complete the gig.
And I doubt anyone out front would notice anything amiss.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329831665' post='1548039']
I have my BDI pre connected to my amp for monitoring, but also to the desk via the DI out.
Then if my LM goes tits-up, I can still easily complete the gig.
And I doubt anyone out front would notice anything amiss.
[/quote]

thats a good optio,n but some of my gigs do not have full PA support so if the little mark goes down, gig over, hence the need for a back up

FWIW, I used a LMIII for a good while (rock stuff, precision, pick), then I bought a BDI21, which gave me the more aggressive tone I was after, then I bought a Sansamp for the programmable functions, then I got all OCD about not having pedals (don't like the mither of them), and I bought a RH450, which sorted me out completely. A Classic450 would do the job as a more aggressive backup if you don't need the bells and whistles of the RH.

And yes, the TC stuff is at least as loud as the LMIII... ;) :D

Try a MarkBass R500 - break up really nicely if you push them - AX7 pre tube - Markbass take on the SVT3. Its now discontinued and going for silly money (for what it is) if you hunt around - there's one on ebay for £599 - list was around £850. Thomann had them even cheaper but they've all gone :(

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1329843209' post='1548361']
FWIW, I used a LMIII for a good while (rock stuff, precision, pick), then I bought a BDI21, which gave me the more aggressive tone I was after, then I bought a Sansamp for the programmable functions, then I got all OCD about not having pedals (don't like the mither of them), and I bought a RH450, which sorted me out completely. A Classic450 would do the job as a more aggressive backup if you don't need the bells and whistles of the RH.

And yes, the TC stuff is at least as loud as the LMIII... ;) :D
[/quote]

Tried out the RH450 with the traveler cabs but felt they did not match one another all that well.