Why become a member? ×

A must-have pedals for working bassplayer

Faithless

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1329495955' post='1543422']
It's a very steep highpass/lowcut filter. Essentially cutting all the sub sonic frequencies that either you can't hear/your amp tries to amplify/cabs can't reproduce.
[/quote]

Now there's a concise explanation!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1329496173' post='1543426']
and the perceived benefits to us as players is?
[/quote]

For me, using smaller cabs, a tighter bottom end, everything seems more focused with more headroom when running louder.

I set it up in a A+B loop when testing it at a gig and it did make a difference for my sound with the gear i'm using.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1329496421' post='1543433']
For me, using smaller cabs, a tighter bottom end, everything seems more focused with more headroom when running louder.
Reminds me a bit of the Auralex Gramma pad - it makes sense but you have to wonder if it makes enough sense to shell out the money on!

I set it up in a A+B loop when testing it at a gig and it did make a difference for my sound with the gear i'm using.
[/quote]
[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1329496421' post='1543433']

[/quote]

A Thumpinator has been on my list for a while too. I don't use my 5 string THAT much though, so not sure if it's an essential for me. I definitely think a DI/Preamp (Sadowsky for example) with a good Compressor and an Overdrive will see you through most gigs/situations. A Tuner goes without saying... :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1329496518' post='1543439']
Reminds me a bit of the Auralex Gramma pad - it makes sense but you have to wonder if it makes enough sense to shell out the money on!
[/quote]

The tiny pedals easier for me to carry around than a Auralex Gramma Pad ;)

Also as Jarhead mentioned, speaker efficiency.

Good point and I have to admit that I have been quietly tempted by both recently - I am playing a lot of 5 string at the moment and may try it. What do they cost?

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1329496664' post='1543444']
The tiny pedals easier for me to carry around than a Auralex Gramma Pad ;)

Also as Jarhead mentioned, speaker efficiency.
[/quote]

A couple of guys that I know who travel round a bit tend to have a board with a vol pedal, tuner, compressor, some sort of preamp and a DI - this gives them some sort of control over the sound when they are using hire rigs supplied the venue

When I saw Roger Inniss doing a tour of small clubs a few years ago I noticed that he had a massive pedalboard, presumably with a couple of preamps on it, but had only brought a couple of 1x10 powered cabs for his backline! Presumably, he found it easier to cart around a large pedalboard rather than an amp rack....

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1329493394' post='1543362']
......I've got one suggestion from Jake Brown, and I wondered why didnt nobody mention SFX Thumpinator? .......

Thanks!
Laimis
[/quote]

Check threads over here and on TB, it seems that this filter (which the thumpinator is) is already in your Shuttle.
You can always check with the guys from Genz Benz.

• 4 weeks later...

Must have pedals? The only pedals I use on every gig are a tuner and a volume pedal,although I
always carry two DI boxes too (a passive EMO and a Sadowsky Preamp/DI). I also use a Boss LS2
quite often because I double on either Electric/Upright or Electric/Synth.

I've never used,or been asked to be use,a compressor(despite owning 3).The signal is probably
being compressed through the front of house anyway.
I've been asked to use an octaver once for a couple of numbers in a show.I've never specifically
needed to use distortion,chorus,delay,phaser,envelope filter or anything on any gig.I'm usually free
to use them if I feel inclined but none of them have been 'must have'. It's nice to have some kind
of overdrive for rock stuff,but again,most of the time it's not essential.

I know there are guys who will say that they need lots of effects,but generally they have got themselves
into a band situation that they have created. I'd comfortably say for that the vast majority of working players
that I've met regularly use pretty much nothing.

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1331965316' post='1581460']
My must haves for any gig are:[list]
[*]Tuner
[*]Micro Thumpinator
[*]Compressor
[*]DI (only if the amp I'm using doesn't have a DI out.)
[/list]
[/quote]

about perfect.....

+ a VTBass for dirty pick sounds

Thanks for the input, guys!

So, to sum up, the "must-have's" are:

Tuner,
Line Selector (for doubling)
DI Box

My bass doesnt have a low B,though it's a fiver, so I don't need a Thumpinator, but it seems an option for those who do.
As for any other stuff - as I suppose, some drive grit can be taken via DI Box (like Sansamp or EBS Microbass), so separate drive pedals dont seem to be needed.

Doddy, why would you need to have a passive DI box - does that make much difference for sound-techs between active DI and this? (sorry I aint much of a tech)

easy
L

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1331977511' post='1581575']
Doddy, why would you need to have a passive DI box - does that make much difference for sound-techs between active DI and this? (sorry I aint much of a tech)
[/quote]
The only reason I have a passive DI is because it's easy to use,it works and doesn't need a battery/power.That's all. :P

The Sadowsky is a great,but as I usually use active instrument I generally I don't need the extra EQ of the preamp so it's
just easier to use the passive DI...I use the Sadowsky more with passive instruments or when I'm not using an amp.
Although to be honest,most times I just use the DI in my amp :)

the ebs microbass II is IMO the finest example of the outboard preamp/tone shaper.
D.I tube simulation" five filters" rehearsal amp" effects loop" high and low inputs" etc"etc and then some!!!
it leaves the sansamp"aguilar"sadowsky" bobbing in its wake....TRY ONE and see.

My list of essentials!

Tuner - Polytune is great and not much difference in price than a tu-2/3 but I like the boss one as you can have it on constant for lots of lights haha

A good Compressor. Good ones will cancel out hum/noise and have visual clue as tyo when it's kicking in so you don't have too much or too little. Mine is the T-rex Squeezer, great control and warm (due to the tube) but I'm looking to get a multi-band like the MXR. Compressors don't just compress, I use mine to fatten up my punk rock sound add sustain and cut noise and bring harmonics up to level, it barely does any compressinmg.

A DI/EQ pedal. If you don't plan on taking your own rig to every gig/recording then this is essential, gives you the control and "your sound" with you.
These can be seperate units, the Boss GEB-7 is a fantastic bit of kit with a wide range and easy use, and it's boss strong.

For sake a drive is always useful but personally a good big clean sound with lots of control can be very effective across different genre's.

More important is the power supply and cabling etc. Shep will back me up, a clean pedal set up goes a long way to eliminating unwanted noise.

A nice Chorus is good if you are using an octave, helps gives the octave sound more movement and fluidity.

for me personally in a 'normal' band settings I always have my tuner, my comopressor and my head. That's it.

If we were talking about my other stuff the list will be very long.

[sub]I'm appreciating KISS (keep It Simple Stupid) more than ever these days and my sound has never been better than after I dumped a whole load of effects I really wasn't using.[/sub]

[sub]I therefore now have a fairly large pedalboard with very few things on it:[/sub][list]
[*][sub]Aguilar DB659: Pre-amp, compression, a little overdrive & Jensen DI[/sub]
[*][sub]Strymon Bluesky Reverb: Standard reverb & chorused (modulated) reverb [/sub]
[*][sub]Tuner: Tuner and practice headphone amplifier[/sub]
[/list]

Interesting thread. My take as a rank amateur is tuner, DI box (Orchid electronics do a useful muting DI that is quite cheap), compressor (see ovnilab.com for a great review - I have the Carl Martin Comp-Limiter which is great for natural sounding compression) and then whatever direction the GAS takes you. These are the pedals I will not go without. Everything else is optional IMO.

Chorus occasionally (CE-2b in my case). DHA VT1 occasionally. I'm toying with the idea of the new Zoom B3 for any other wacky sounds (cheaper than buying separates) and may retire the chorus and Qtron if I can find some usable modelled alternatives - I do have a Qtron+ but for some reason it never quite fits into the mellow worship songs we do at church, plus the volume spike is a pain.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Joe meek floor q compression pedal, which is absolutely awesome. I use an mxr envelope pedal - this is cool but needs adjusting for every room, can be irritating! I have a tuner and a bass xciter for Di if needed, but my amp has that anyway, but a good back up if something happened to the amp. I also carry round a small alesis mixer, if i am changing basses and need very different eq's, or a little bit of chorus i may put that in front of the whole chain. It can be like a pre and post eq after the compression pedals and envelope effects! The annoying part is they all run of different power ratings so i cant rely on a floor board power pack.