Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Evanescence 'rare' bass stolen!

warwickhunt

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Always a huge downer when anyone's pride and joy is stolen, more so when it was given to you by your father but I can't help thinking that it is wishful thinking to imagine that your average Joe in a guitar/pawn shop in the States is going to spot a Yamaha BB bass as being rare "[color=#000000][left]the silver lining is that it's easily recognizable. The fact that it is [/left][/color][i]so[/i][color=#000000][left] rare and [/left][/color][i]so [/i][color=#000000][left]unique means she could spot it easily -- and so could guitar shops"... OBVIOUSLY a Yamaha fanatic might be able to tell it is rare but I doubt even 1% of the bass playing community might know so.[/left][/color][/font][/size]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][left]Obviously I genuinely hope that they get the bass back though! [/left][/color][/font][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][left] :([/left][/font][/color]

[url="http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2012/02/evanescence_bass_player_heartb.php"]http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2012/02/evanescence_bass_player_heartb.php[/url]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1329252582' post='1539714']What makes it a rare one? Fiddly preamp/unusual colour?[/quote]
There's now't that's rare or collectible about that Yamaha. The piece says it's a BB11005, but that's an error - it's a BB1100S - and a later one at that, probably Made in Taiwan. I'm guessing that it's the emotional connection that making it of "sentimental" value.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329253018' post='1539723']
I'm guessing that it's the emotional connection that making it of "sentimental" value.
[/quote]

well, yes...that is the essence of sentimental value.

poor reporting aside, it's a sad story, and i hope the chap gets his bass back.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1329310306' post='1540373']There's nothing rare about a tobacco sunburst 1100S surely? Worth $4,000 "at least"?? Err, ok?[/quote]
Rare? Nope, nothing. In production from the mid 80s to mid 90s, made in both Japan and Taiwan as the 1100S, although the earlier "V" version was made in Japan only. In the last few weeks, a clean example from the MIJ era, finished in "Redburst", sold on eBay for £260 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-BB1100s-BASS-GUITAR-1980s-LOVELY-CONDITION-JAPAN-MADE-/140694572585?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6194428318355006770#ht_500wt_1216"]http://www.ebay.co.u...0#ht_500wt_1216[/url] That's a touch on the low side, but circa £300 would get you one under most circumstances.

Edited by noelk27

Getting a bass stolen is no fun; that's obvious. However, if I were a member of Evanescence, I'd be way more concerned that their latest album is a major disappointment and can't even begin to compare to the two which preceded it. I'd be way more worried about the band losing its mojo than a lost bass.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1329329675' post='1540808']
Getting a bass stolen is no fun; that's obvious. However, if I were a member of Evanescence, I'd be way more concerned that their last 2 albums were a major disappointment and can't even begin to compare to their debut. I'd be way more worried about the band losing its mojo than a lost bass.
[/quote]

fixed :P

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329330269' post='1540820']
I wasn't so keen on the 2006 affair either to be honest. That's just my opinion though.
[/quote]

I see what you mean now about the debut album. I might also agree that it is the best. I know a lot of people didn't like "The Open Door," but I liked it better than I was expecting. My point, though, is the new album is pretty horrendous.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1329330397' post='1540824']
I see what you mean now about the debut album. I might also agree that it is the best. I know a lot of people didn't like "The Open Door," but I liked it better than I was expecting. My point, though, is the new album is pretty horrendous.
[/quote]

I'll take your word for it. In all honesty I am pretty much sick to death of them after one of my friends in school who used to be completely OBSESSED with them. I was just like, give it a rest already.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329330562' post='1540830']
I'll take your word for it. In all honesty I am pretty much sick to death of them after one of my friends in school who used to be completely OBSESSED with them. I was just like, give it a rest already.
[/quote]

It was a waste of money. I have to say I am astonished that it could be so bad. I suppose going through so many band changes finally took its toll.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329647878' post='1545192']
I wasn't going to say anything but, yeah. I mean she might as well be a solo artist.
[/quote]

I agree. But it was never the same after Ben Moody left. Then when Will Boyd, Rocky Gray, and John LeCompt left, the band was decimated beyond repair, IMO.