Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fenders?

Townes1992

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1350482351' post='1839482']
There's a lot of brand snobbery among bass players and many wouldn't be seen dead playing a Squier.....however great it played or sounded.
[/quote]

But,if it was named a Fender 'Skyline' or 'Metro' (for example) people would happily play them...especially the newer Classic Vibes.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1329225707' post='1539061']
Thanks guys for all the advice thus far. I was heavily considering a VM squier, they seem to be popular, but the criticisms that Squier's get is always off putting. Being labelled as a 'beginners' bass sometimes makes me concerned about their longevity with redards to durability and versatility.
I do often wonder why they get such bad stick in some places i look, maybe because 1 of their models recieves bad press people hold it against the whole brand!!![/quote]

I haven't read all the replies, so I will probably be repeating info here, but I've had my Squier '77 model jazz for two years and I couldn't be happier. Granted, I did upgrade the pickups to DiMarzio, but that cost a mere $95, and the bass was only $285 to begin with. Everything about the bass -- craftsmanship, tuners and bridge, pots, quality of neck, etc. -- has been consistently good, and I've had no troubles. Who needs Fender?

I think 'beginner's bass' is just a handy label meaning 'inexpensive.' I mean, one could be a beginner on any bass. If you've got to have a Fender, so be it. But for my budget and the sound I wanted, I'm happy with Squier.

tg

• 9 months later...

It would be a lot easier to understand this already complicated issue if I were to know what MIM MIA MIJ IME CIJ and Squier VM and CV all stood for. I can guess a few but can anyone enlighten me? Many thanks.

Edited by vicar

I had a 2000 MIM 5 string jazz & it sucked - tonally lifeless. Even a set of Seymour Duncan quarter pounders couldn't rescue it - it still sucked but louder....

I also had a Squier Vintage modified a few years ago & that actually sounded better, although the hardware & neck felt distinctly low class. The body was good though.

My MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz is leagues ahead of both of those & my MIA Precision is actually a noticeable step up from the Geddy - love them both though.

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375038233' post='2156053']
The MIM 50's p bass I got yesterday from another bc'er is superb, am really pleasantly surprised! I've only ever met MIM dogs before so this is a turn up for the books!
[/quote]
[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375038233' post='2156053']
The MIM 50's p bass I got yesterday from another bc'er is superb, am really pleasantly surprised! I've only ever met MIM dogs before so this is a turn up for the books!
[/quote]
well done - welcome to the classic series club - for those in the know this series is the jewel amongst thorns that are MIM fenders :rolleyes:

My latest, a Classic 70s (the ones that used to be made in Japan) is MIM, and it`s a great bass. Build quality, playability, sound, everything about it is very good. It feels different to my MIA as it has a maple fretboard, so I can`t really compare them exactly, but I don`t look at it as an inferior bass or as a backup. It`s the bass I use with one of my bands, I bought it specifically for that reason, and it is more than up to the job. Sound wise I have (slightly) different sounds for each band so again can`t really compare, but the MIM is not lacking. If it were, I`d only use it as a backup bass.

My MIM Pawn shop mustang is awesome (finish and sound) Had an MIM P (natural one in sig pic) was really nice too. Have tried a few others that haven't been so good, have found the same thing with Gibson too. Some good some not so good some should a been sent back by the shops I tried them in (and that goes for two MIA P bases I tried too !!!!) The better end of the Squire range is very good. My VM telecaster special is really nice (but a bit on the heavy side for my bad neck) . what I would say is you need to try a few of the same model till you find one you like, but try them through your own amp or you may well be disappointed when you get home! You would be surprised by how different a bass can sound through different amps.