Why become a member? ×

HUGE EPIC BRUTAL sound... don't know what to look for..

charic

i've been playing with some pedals at the weekend. My favorite sound is still blending a lo-passed ODB-3 with my Ibanez SS10 (a tubescreamer with some sutble chorus). However, as far as single pedals go I really like the Tech 21 XXL and LOVE the Red Llama

I have an Ibanez Phat-Hed for distortion and drive sounds which works quite well.

What about the Ashdown James Hyperdrive?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQDSDA929Sw[/media]

Edited by rOB

I personally use the Boss ODB-3. I've used it far more with my V than my Ibanez, and they both sound pretty good, but my V sounds enormous, especially with a good deal of low boost. Cuts through pretty well too, as far as I can tell. We haven't recorded any of our songs that I use it on yet. The songs I use it on are mostly drop D, and it doesn't really muddy them up too much, it keeps pretty decent definition with the right settings, and that's even with some pretty fast riffs.

I'd also have to agree with Chrismuzz, Sansamp drives sound brutal. I've never used one, but I really want one. This particular one is the rack version of the Bass Driver DI, so the tones are probably pretty similar, and it gives a pretty good demo of the kind of sound you can get out of it. Dial in some more bass and you may have what you're looking for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmEkulaQNNc&list=FLWGcIzc-67pIn5tk41pFasw&index=7&feature=plpp_video

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331641831' post='1576318']
Thats not a bad sound :) I think I'd want some more of the clean bass in the mix. Sounds like it could get lost with my guitarist pretty easily.
[/quote]

Last time I was at a Nightwish gig the bass was lost in the mix. Great tone on its own but its easily swamped.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1331652227' post='1576590']
Last time I was at a Nightwish gig the bass was lost in the mix. Great tone on its own but its easily swamped.
[/quote]

I suspected as much. I may end up staying clean... Hmmm....

I used a Boss MC-2 Metal Zone once which really narked off my guitar player!

Even though my ProCo RAT is a bit tame in comparison to the MC-2 its body count is pretty impressive as far as claiming the lives of a few of my speakers...mainly tweeter horn diagphrams. Remember to turn the tweeters down or completely off at high volumes when using a high gain fuzz/distortion pedal. It can get pretty expensive if you are not sensible.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1331652700' post='1576602']
I still reckon the MXR blowtorch is what would do it for you. Or have you considered running two rigs and running fx through one?
[/quote]

Considered it but funds and space would be a bit silly :)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1331652784' post='1576608']
I used a Boss MC-2 Metal Zone once which really narked off my guitar player!

Even though my ProCo RAT is a bit tame in comparison to the MC-2 its body count is pretty impressive as far as claiming the lives of a few of my speakers...mainly tweeter horn diagphrams. Remember to turn the tweeters down or completely off at high volumes when using a high gain fuzz/distortion pedal. It can get pretty expensive if you are not sensible.
[/quote]

I like tweeters though :(

I almost always use a dirty tone and (if I do say so myself) never have problems cutting through guitars. I have no problem using tweeters too, as long as I have a graphic EQ. You probably do want a clean blend or a dirt pedal with one built in.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331641831' post='1576318']
I think I'd want some more of the clean bass in the mix.
[/quote]

If I recall correctly, the pedal has a blend knob, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's a bit more expensive, but it looks worth the money to me. Clean can work equally as well though, that way you can be sure you'll keep any bottom end you need, plus it's cheaper and, let's face it, less stuff between you and the speakers is less stuff to go wrong if and when it eventually does.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1331652227' post='1576590']
[/quote]

Depends on what you're after doing, I guess. The bass has it's role, of course - but sometimes, with these heavy distortions, you get the sense it's being used as an additional rhythmn guitar, or somesuch. As such it's another part of that wall of sound, which some bands like to put out - and it can work, if that's your cup of tea.

I know what you mean, though - I like a little more personality, even when I am trying to push our rhythmn guitarist along :lol:

Nothing arrogant about that, you've got to get a tone you're happy with, you're one of the lucky ones! :D

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1331915520' post='1580909']
I know it's arrogant but I love my tone at the end of this song [url="http://soundcloud.com/kilta/the-optimist"]http://soundcloud.com/kilta/the-optimist[/url]
[/quote]

Huge and brutal?

Distortion/fuzz on it's own can get you the brutal, but not always the huge. Think angry Alsatian. Certainly big and strongh, but you can add more to get really huge and brutal.

For a real rabid Rottweiler of a tone, I'd start with a compressor. It'll fatten up your tone and can help your distrortion/fuzz produce a more consistent tone. If it can also introduce a bit of grit, this might not be a bad thing, but you want one that definitely does not lose your lows. Then into distortion/fuzz with blend - you'll want to keep that fat bass from the comp for the hugeness.

Want the guitarist quaking? Lets slip this p1ssed off pooch some crystal meth. Get an EQ and put it before the dirt and put both in the loop of blender. You've opened up your dirt choices, because we don't need a blend on the pedal and the EQ will let you push the dirt harder and shape it more.

Shall we add a collar with big pointy spikes? After the blender you could stick a milder drive to push the dirt a little further and add a bit of attitude to the clean tone.

One case for prosecution under the Dangerous [s]Dogs[/s] Distortion Act.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1332234569' post='1585064']
Huge and brutal?

Distortion/fuzz on it's own can get you the brutal, but not always the huge. Think angry Alsatian. Certainly big and strongh, but you can add more to get really huge and brutal.

For a real rabid Rottweiler of a tone, I'd start with a compressor. It'll fatten up your tone and can help your distrortion/fuzz produce a more consistent tone. If it can also introduce a bit of grit, this might not be a bad thing, but you want one that definitely does not lose your lows. Then into distortion/fuzz with blend - you'll want to keep that fat bass from the comp for the hugeness.

Want the guitarist quaking? Lets slip this p1ssed off pooch some crystal meth. Get an EQ and put it before the dirt and put both in the loop of blender. You've opened up your dirt choices, because we don't need a blend on the pedal and the EQ will let you push the dirt harder and shape it more.

Shall we add a collar with big pointy spikes? After the blender you could stick a milder drive to push the dirt a little further and add a bit of attitude to the clean tone.

One case for prosecution under the Dangerous [s]Dogs[/s] Distortion Act.
[/quote]

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Right so I now want...

A Darkglass B3k
Darkglass B7k
and a good compressor (although I have a good one on my amp)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332234782' post='1585069']
That sounds like a lot of fun!

Right so I now want...

A Darkglass B3k
Darkglass B7k
and a good compressor (although I have a good one on my amp)
[/quote]

I'm on the same quest as you and I've been searching for about 18 months.

Started with a Bass Blogger for dirt (nope, it's not the most extreme or best quality, but it is (a) cheap and (B) moderately versatile). My guitarist is an effects junky and has given me advice as well as leant me a few pedals along the way. We've tried chorus and octave (separately) to add "bigness" but with the dirt they added more "mush" and the sound lost focus.

Adding the comp (a Boss CS-3 with Monte Allums mod kit and a bigger input cap) before the dirt really helped the distortion. A little taming of the dynamics gave it a more consistent tone and made it "fatter" too. Putting the blender in (actually, at the moment it's in the FX loop of a mini-mixer) brought the authority of the bass back in.

I tried the comp before the dirt in the loop, but put it back before the loop because the fattening helps the clean sound stand up to the dirt. The EQ (a borrowed Boss GE-7) I only tried a couple of weeks ago and OMG!!

Current shopping list is -

Pedal board, proper blender, GE-7 (or 7B) and a BDDI (and power and patch leads).

Or leave my current band which is heading towards heavier sounds and join a country/folk outfit and just keep the comp lol