Why become a member? ×

fender jazz bass

cris the man

You're going to get loads of diffrent answers to this.

But so ive been lead to believe...

Main diff..

Build quality
materials are diffrent (wood, electonics etc)
where its made (although they are all mass produced in both US and MEX, I heard 1/8 US you need to sort the neck out, 3/8 in MIM, but thats just hear-say)

If you want to improve it, try changing the bridge/pups/pots/strings,
Personally id slap on a badass ii bridge and Exiler 45-100 strings and leave it as that.

I'd be interested to hear a definitive answer to this as I had always assumed the hardware, (excluding pups), bodies and necks would all be from the same source or out of the same parts bin and that the main difference was the cost of labour to assemble and it could be argued that the QC 'may' have differed between the 2 sources.

Though I have to say that to my mind I can't see how your ethnicity makes you any better at screwing a few bits together and whether your Mexican, American or Japanese for that matter I'd assume that the Fender corporation would train you to a certain standard of workmanship and have the same degree of QC no matter where the location. Do I have an over simplistic or incorrect view on this!

Is the body wood for one different to the other (alder v ash maybe) in which case you will get a difference but we'll all have a preference that doesn't make one 'better'. I prefer the sound of alder... but it isn't better than ash.

Are there major differences in the bits used?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='171162' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:36 AM']Are there major differences in the bits used?[/quote]
Yes. Mex use cheaper hadware. The thing is - buying a mex and then replacing all the hardware is gonna cost as much as buying a US - the only difference is you can spread the cost. But if you are gonna "improve" all the hardware, Hipshot Ultralight tuners, Badass, Wizards, J-retro etc then you may as well start with a mex if you can find a good one.

See the few threads on the Big Block precision for more views on what people think of mex Fender quality. This is down to the approach rather than yanks are better at screwing stuff together. Mex are made down to a price.

I don't think country of origin is a valid measure of perceived quality. Surely there's good 'uns and bad 'uns from any factory? Isn't any factory capable of turning out a few "Friday afternoon specials"? It's weird how people get hung up about M/A/J/I/C/K (Have I covered all the Fender territories? Have I made a cool acronym? :) )

If it plays well, then it's a good 'un. If there's something bothering you about it (machine heads, pickup sound, bridge sturdiness, sustain, looks?) then change it. But I wouldn't change it just so you can bring it up "to the same ... 'standard' as a US one". I don't see that as a particularly good reason.

I've noticed headstocks on US precisions for example, are fatter/thicker/beefier than Jap/Mex ones, which appear considerably thinner. This is from my experience, comparing my (ex-)basses.

I'm not one for upgrades personally. I like to buy a bass for what it is, a Mex a US etc and i like it all original. The most i'll do is change a pickguard. I'm not particularly keen on buying people's second hand gear with upgrades [i]they[/i] deemed an improvement either.

MIA's are strung through body, MIM's aren't. Also, prior to the pointless Fender updates, the MIA's had the S1 switching. Never seen this on a MIM (I could be wrong).

The pickups make a big difference if you A/B them though. I would advise going for the MIA as personally I can justify the difference in cost. This has nothing to do with where they are made or the stigma attached, I just think the MIA sounds better and is more versatile. It also probably works out cheaper thyan modding a MIM.

If I didn't have one already, I'd be looking out for an pre-facelift MIA going cheap first hand.

I A/B'd my MIM pbass and a MIA pbass in the same store, same amp the lot. Guess which i walked out with :) the MIM. I prefer the neck thats the most important part to me on any bass. Ive now upgraded the pups the SD 1/4pounders and added a BA II bridge. Total cost including mods. £450 all new

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='171267' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:36 AM']MIM - made in mexico to lower design spec. by mexicans
MIA - made in america to higher design spec. by former mexicans, guatemalens, puerto ricans etc[/quote]

That's a point I think most don't realise - lots of Mexicans work in the US factory anyway :).

[quote name='neepheid' post='171180' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:58 AM']Surely there's good 'uns and bad 'uns from any factory? Isn't any factory capable of turning out a few "Friday afternoon specials"?[/quote]

;) "LOL" doesnt cover it, loads of people looked at me strange in the office when I read that. But saying that they thought it was wierd bringing my bass into work with me this morning. But im not leaving a £1200 bass on the back seat of my car all day... IN BIRMINGHAM! Although ive got a suitcase of clothes, Zoom B2.1u and laptop in the boot lol. god I love working away from home :) :huh: ;) ;) :huh:

Yes, MIM is made more cheaply in Mexico, but you really have to try a few before you make your decision. I've played a lot of MIA turkeys, badly made and finished and some great to play & excellently made MIMs. Took me a long time to find a really good MIA, but the effort was worth it. Lovely bass.

You can never tell. Just play them and buy the one you like the sound and feel of best!

[quote name='Buzz' post='171389' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:24 PM']Don't MIA come with a few little flourishes? like rolled over neck edges etc...[/quote]
am i allowed to give a cheeky 'bump for response' to this please? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14814"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14814[/url]
'rolled over neck edges' - that sounds'a'niiice - what does it mean? in the interests of not hijacking this thread, respond in the other topic if you wish. sorry cris. cheers, sparky. :)

[quote name='Sparky' post='171419' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:49 PM']am i allowed to give a cheeky 'bump for response' to this please? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14814"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14814[/url]
'rolled over neck edges' - that sounds'a'niiice - what does it mean? in the interests of not hijacking this thread, respond in the other topic if you wish. sorry cris. cheers, sparky. :)[/quote]

It gives the edge of the neck a sort of worn in...smoother feel.

All I am going to say is MIM pickups just do not seem to be as good as USA or Jap pickups (on a Jazz anyway).

My Mex has considerably less output than the US or the Jap Squire I have.

Apart from that I can honestly say the US is the best to play, ultimately, but there ain't that much in it really.

Change the pickups for Jap or US!

David H

When I replaced my MIM's pickups with SD Hots, they slipped in fine with no need for routing/adjustments. Again, I went in for an MIA, but the MIM just felt nicer/smoother. I agree that the stock pups in the MIM need replacing as they are distinctly underpowered and lacking in tone, but that is easily and quickly fixed. Bottom line is go in and try as many as possible until you find the one that feels the most comfortable to YOU.

I have an '04 Mexican Jazz and a 2000 Mexican Precision. The Jazz feels really good, well put together, nice finish, lovely neck, the only problems were with a funny neck pocket, average pickups and crappy bridge. The neck pocket cut isn't a big deal, just a bit unsightly, and the pickups and bridge were easily fixed (SD Quarter Pounders and a BadAss II).
The Precision I bought second hand. I don't know how much that contributes to the following, but probably not a lot. It doesn't feel as good quality, the neck isn't as nice (and that's not just a Precision/Jazz difference thing, it's really not as nice), and the pickups were even weaker than the Jazz's. It's probably equivalent to the Squier Std P-Bass Special in my local guitar shop. They were built about 4 years apart so that might be a contributing factor.
I tried similar Precision at the same time I was testing out my Jazz, and that was very good, but it was the day after my 18th birthday, so in my hungover state I wasn't really prepared to handle to the weight of the P :)
Wandered a bit off topic there! Anyway, my point, hard to find in all that, is that MIM stuff can vary greatly. I'd put my Jazz up against a MIA or MIJ in terms of quality any day. The Precision has the same mods as the Jazz, but it's just not as nice. It [i]is[/i] a good bass, but it doesn't have the same feel. The sound though is great with the new pickup and bridge, really full and meaty, but the build isn't as good. Just my 2p there.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='171153' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:11 AM']You're going to get loads of diffrent answers to this.

But so ive been lead to believe...

Main diff..

Build quality
materials are diffrent (wood, electonics etc)
where its made (although they are all mass produced in both US and MEX, I heard 1/8 US you need to sort the neck out, 3/8 in MIM, but thats just hear-say)

If you want to improve it, try changing the bridge/pups/pots/strings,
Personally id slap on a badass ii bridge and Exiler 45-100 strings and leave it as that.[/quote]

omg
how weird!
when i bought it , i noticed it had a new bridge on it , it has a BADASS BASS || bridge!